Large Employers Shrugging Off Supreme Court Mandate Ruling

Started by lauermar, January 19, 2022, 01:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauermar

Carhartt is not a government contractor, nor does it receive funds from Medicare or government programs. They can drop the large employer vaccine mandate if they wish. So why are they keeping it as a company rule?

I think the skyrocketing cost of employee healthcare insurance costs is a factor. Although vaccinated and unvaccinated workers can become infected and need hospitalization, the statistics show that vaccinated have a reduced need for hospitalization and ICU costs. The number of missed workdays in both groups may be the same, or slightly less for the vaccinated group. But high hospitalization costs for severely ill employees will break the bank for the company. It comes at a time when fewer customers are buying clothing since they have quit, been laid off or are working from home. Their supply chain is lagging behind, and they're not collecting as much revenue either.

Bottom line is that companies look to reduce costs however they can, and if that steps on someone's freedom to remain unvaxxed, they don't care. Of course, they will have to operate short-handed. With low demand for goods, maybe they don't care.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/carhartt-faces-backlash-after-mandating-worker-vaccinations/ar-AASW0Ps?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=W011
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

james03

Legally, they are now open to EEOC claims for religious exemptions.  And they'll lose if they don't grant them.  If SCOTUS had ruled the other way, they could claim they are forced by government rules.  Basically anyone that would follow their policy is already vaxxed, and those who aren't vax will ask for and be granted an exemption.

Also, I've noticed all your news stories come from marxist sites.  I appreciate you posting the news, but just keep that in mind.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: lauermar on January 19, 2022, 01:05:59 PM
I think the skyrocketing cost of employee healthcare insurance costs is a factor.

BS.

The only cost skyrocketing is the 8 free at-home tests per month that every insurer has to provide now.
this page left intentionally blank

TerrorDæmonum

Companies generally would make decisions based on financial assessments.

Making hiring and firing decisions that way can be tricky, as it can easily lead to accusations of discrimination based on sex, health, religion, etc.

The ideal employee is usually a fit healthy man who will work for peanuts, but obviously that is hardly realistic for most industries.

Reducing voluntary diabetes and other lifestyle issues is also an important cost control measure. There are a lot of "discount" screenings and such available now last I checked for healthcare costs (it isn't really insurance most of the time).

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on January 19, 2022, 01:24:04 PM
The only cost skyrocketing is the 8 free at-home tests per month that every insurer has to provide now.

Insurance costs do go up when there is mass coverage of anything.

I kept telling people that when they were talking about the new healthcare regulations in the USA back when that it isn't "free". It is just part of the cost for everyone.

(I don't know the specific burden of specific coverage though. Maybe these tests are seen as useful in preventing overall higher costs. I avoid all testing as do most people I know.)

The Curt Jester

Whether or not the "vaccine" works (haha!), all the policies that have been put in place to try to force them and ostracize those who don't take them and the media hype around it will cause insurance to skyrocket, so of course companies that pretty much only look at profit margin will do what it takes to see more $ signs.   If that means mandating a vaccine to get lower insurance rates, many of them will do it -- unless they find out they suffer financially even more as a result of doing so.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: The Curt Jester on January 19, 2022, 01:33:54 PM
Whether or not the "vaccine" works (haha!), all the policies that have been put in place to try to force them and ostracize those who don't take them and the media hype around it will cause insurance to skyrocket, so of course companies that pretty much only look at profit margin will do what it takes to see more $ signs.   If that means mandating a vaccine to get lower insurance rates, many of them will do it -- unless they find out they suffer financially even more as a result of doing so.

My hunch is that their inability to hire and the cost of jab-side-effect-caused absenteeism will win out over wokeness in the long term.

The Curt Jester

Also, insurance companies will be quick to make profit from the situation.  Any excuse to raise rates.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

james03

QuoteCompanies generally would make decisions based on financial assessments.

Not big corporate places.  Nowadays it is all SJW politics.  If you make a financial assessment there is no way in heck you'd hire a quota hire, and you sure as heck wouldn't promote unqualified quota hires to management.  American companies are collapsing from the weight of the parasites.  We have a new term for collaborative women led meetings: group therapy.  Example of usage:  I need to stop by your office to go over the Acme project?  You available at 2?  A.: No, Kirsten has scheduled group for 2 p.m. , stop by at 3:30.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: james03 on January 19, 2022, 01:49:48 PM
QuoteCompanies generally would make decisions based on financial assessments.

Not big corporate places.  Nowadays it is all SJW politics.  If you make a financial assessment there is no way in heck you'd hire a quota hire, and you sure as heck wouldn't promote unqualified quota hires to management.  American companies are collapsing from the weight of the parasites.  We have a new term for collaborative women led meetings: group therapy.  Example of usage:  I need to stop by your office to go over the Acme project?  You available at 2?  A.: No, Kirsten has scheduled group for 2 p.m. , stop by at 3:30.

This is completely true, except for the collapsing part, unfortunately.

Big business seems to continue existing simply by virtue of being big.  Moats and economies of scale and all that...

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on January 19, 2022, 02:56:07 PM
Big business seems to continue existing simply by virtue of being big.  Moats and economies of scale and all that...

They are usually slower to dissolve, but they constantly transform over time, and they can become essentially different companies from what they used to be. Look at IBM and Smith-Corona for example. Obviously, one is doing a lot better now, but they were both leaders in office machines and very common, and now, one makes thermal labels the last I heard and the other doesn't have any products that used to dominate the market that I see.

It is entirely possible for massive companies that seem to be invincible to completely disappear or be transformed. Look at Sears, RadioShack, Xerox, RCA, etc.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 19, 2022, 02:59:32 PM
Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on January 19, 2022, 02:56:07 PM

They are usually slower to dissolve, but they constantly transform over time, and they can become essentially different companies from what they used to be. Look at IBM and Smith-Corona for example. Obviously, one is doing a lot better now, but they were both leaders in office machines and very common, and now, one makes thermal labels the last I heard and the other doesn't have any products that used to dominate the market that I see.

It is entirely possible for massive companies that seem to be invincible to completely disappear or be transformed. Look at Sears, RadioShack, Xerox, RCA, etc.

It certainly can happen (over long enough timescales), but there are a few types that just never seem to die--particularly conglomerates (think GE) and telecoms (think AT&T).

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on January 19, 2022, 03:05:00 PM
It certainly can happen (over long enough timescales), but there are a few types that just never seem to die--particularly conglomerates (think GE) and telecoms (think AT&T).

That is true. They seem to maintain some sort of continuity over time, even as the people and markets change.

But, those are legal fictions really that encompass significant industries. As long as those industries are around, then the companies will be around, and a massive legal abstraction to encompass it might keep the same name over time.

The brand names can even exist on their own, such as RCA. It used to be an unstoppable force, and then it made a few bad decisions which took up a lot of resources, and now it is just some letters slapped onto other company's products sometimes.

RCA started out as patent trust owned by General Electric, Westinghouse, AT&T Corporation and United Fruit Company, until it was broken off into its own thing. It had everything, including starting NBC and other things, until it fell part, got bought by GE, was liquidated, and now it is just some letters owned by Sony and Technicolor, who don't even exclusively use the letters themselves.

james03

GE got delisted from the Dow Jones Index and is a shell of its former self.  Basically they are a drop shipper for Chinese light bulbs.  IBM keeps afloat with debt.  They basically are a cloud leasing agency at this point.  I know a dude who is the program director for a very major defense system.  If I told you what it was you would instantly know it.  He's told horror stories about quota hires and millenials.  One girl stayed home due to a sick dog.  Not that it matters because she is too stupid to contribute anyway.  He said it is basically impossible to fire anyone.  He also has a real hatred for retired generals who pull up in their Posches and Lambos.

The oil industry is in collapse.  100% cost overruns and years extensions on schedule are common.

In Texas it was not old salt Gen X white dudes that load shed the pipeline booster compressors and the cooling water pumps to a nuke.

The USG won't be the only casualty if the Fed raises rates.  Big Corporate is going to blow sky high.

Until then, people will attend daily group where Kirsten asks everyone how they feel and people waste an hour or two bitching about things.