I finally tested positive for rona

Started by Tennessean, January 05, 2022, 10:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximGun

Yes, i had the same.  Nose almost completely blocked and could taste nothing and smell nothing.  I did eat, but just things like raw carrots and spring onions, because everything was tasteless.  I figured why bother with the stuff I like if I cannot taste it?  Might as well eat healthy raw veg.

Frank

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 05, 2022, 03:15:15 PM
Quote from: Tennessean on January 05, 2022, 01:31:01 PM
Quote from: MaximGun on January 05, 2022, 01:18:42 PM
Congratulations.  I have had it twice this year. Omicron was a 48 hour cold. Delta was a weird experience.
I hear the xi variant gives you slanty eyes and velly small *.

Why would you think this joke is appropriate on a traditional Catholic message board?....

The fact that you use this font and colour Kaesekopf, is a good idea as it immediately alerts people that they are being addressed by the colonel of the forum.

Being curious (nosey) I promptly clicked on your profile and found it a mine of information. Most profiles have very little. Some don't even disclose whether they are male or female.

(Small point. Your profile needs updating on your married state)

Next I googled your name. I had always assumed it was German but to my delight I found it was Dutch since it gives me one point of connection. My grandmother's was Van Damme, daughter of a burgemeester.

Moreover your name translates as Cheese Head - appropriate for the forum's big cheese.  :)
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/64350.html
It also explains those two emojis with "bricks" on their head. :cheesehead: :cheeseheadbeer:

What else does your profile reveal?

Why, nothing less than another point in common. You are an electrical engineer. I am a civil engineer (ret). 
As a long time Boy Scout civil was more attractive to me than mechanical or electrical.

Thank you for being so informative in your profile. I find it much easier to interact with people on a forum when I know something about them.

in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

Jayne

Quote from: Frank on January 06, 2022, 11:45:34 AM
Next I googled your name. I had always assumed it was German but to my delight I found it was Dutch since it gives me one point of connection. My grandmother's was Van Damme, daughter of a burgemeester.

I'm puzzled that you came to the conclusion that "Kaesekopf" is Dutch.  The Dutch word for cheesehead is "kaaskop".  In German, Kaese (Käse) means cheese and Kopf means head.  In German, Kaesekopf is a derogatory term for Dutch people.  Is that the connection?

Its significance in this case is the same as the English word "Cheesehead".  Wikipedia has an article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesehead
QuoteCheesehead is a nickname in the United States for a person from Wisconsin[1] or for a fan of the Green Bay Packers NFL football franchise.
I'm not sure if KK ever said or if I just assumed that he translated it into German as a reference to the time he spent studying in Germany.  cf: https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=18686.msg418961#msg418961

If you are interested in seeing more speculation concerning the etymology of Cheesehead, you might like this article http://mr-verb.blogspot.com/2010/11/etymology-of-cheesehead.html
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Frank on January 06, 2022, 11:45:34 AM
The fact that you use this font and colour Kaesekopf, is a good idea as it immediately alerts people that they are being addressed by the colonel of the forum.

The use of that style is specific to official moderator actions as they use (he uses) the same account for regular forum use. I am not aware of any specific rule about others using the style, but it would be implied it would be discouraged given it special role in the Rules.

As for knowing him, there is a theory that he is not who he says he is, but in fact a psychological researcher running a long term experiment. We are the mice.

Jayne

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 06, 2022, 12:47:49 PM
The use of that style is specific to official moderator actions as they use (he uses) the same account for regular forum use. I am not aware of any specific rule about others using the style, but it would be implied it would be discouraged given it special role in the Rules.

While not explicitly stated in the Rules, it has been mentioned, e.g. https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=57.msg177686#msg177686
QuoteFor clarification, anyone using the moderator font is subject to a ban.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on January 06, 2022, 12:55:58 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on August 19, 2014, 12:15:01 PM
For clarification, anyone using the moderator font is subject to a ban.

I figured such a thing would be implied and in the previous moderator decisions of the forum.

There is only one course open now.

Frank delenda est!

Jayne

No reason to go full Carthage.  Being "subject to a ban" does not make it obligatory.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on January 06, 2022, 01:05:32 PM
No reason to go full Carthage.  Being "subject to a ban" does not make it obligatory.

Please, let me enjoy being Cato for a while. We are just fortunate I am keeping it in this thread.

Frank delenda est!

Jayne

Can I be Cleopatra if I promise to be a modestly dressed version?

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on January 06, 2022, 01:16:33 PM

She lived quite some time after him. They were not contemporary.

But, while we are on the subject, I recall De agri cultura and some of its contents. Maybe I could go post some of Cato's the Elder advice on the matter at hand elsewhere.

Jayne

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 06, 2022, 01:21:46 PM
Quote from: Jayne on January 06, 2022, 01:16:33 PM

She lived quite some time after him. They were not contemporary.

But what's a century between friends?

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on January 06, 2022, 01:27:06 PM
But what's a century between friends?

Well, Cato is not someone you want to be close to. His home life was an example of something I am sure most people would criticize these days.

He was also very critical of foreign cultural elements sneaking into Rome and Romans, but he was highly against physicians and the medical experts of his day, so maybe he'd fit in well here.

Frank

Well, well, well. Looks as though I've really put my foot in it.  :)

Probably wishful thinking my part - and all the talk about cheese.

I did wonder about those, presumably German military ranks we are given. I'd better be careful. Wouldn't want to be taken for the Faulty Towers Major - though having been through the blitz I've a lot of sympathy for his point of view.

In my decedents I have a large collection of nations.
Italian, French, Chinese, Spanish, Russian, Trinidadian, Polish and English - but no Germans. In fact the only Germans I ever saw were
the Parish priest's housekeeper who had two daughters, one of whom married a school friend. They emigrated to Canada.

As for using Moderator script It did occur to me that it might not be kosher but in view of the fact I was complementing him I thought it would be overlooked.  :)

And in case anyone is wondering who the major was:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns0uRr6aPQE[/yt]

I might have guessed. It's succumbed to Woke. I wonder how long it will take them to get round to Gilbert and Sullivan.

Jayne

Quote from: Frank on January 06, 2022, 02:35:45 PM
Well, well, well. Looks as though I've really put my foot in it.  :)

Probably wishful thinking my part - and all the talk about cheese.

I did wonder about those, presumably German military ranks we are given. I'd better be careful. Wouldn't want to be taken for the Faulty Towers Major - though having been through the blitz I've a lot of sympathy for his point of view.

The forum ranks are named for the ranks of the Pontifical Swiss Guard, possibly to signify the great loyalty to the Pope expressed on this forum.  (But maybe not.)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Guard  I'm not sure why these are in German rather than one of the other official languages of Switzerland.

In my decedents I have a large collection of nations.
Italian, French, Chinese, Spanish, Russian, Trinidadian, Polish and English - but no Germans. In fact the only Germans I ever saw were
the Parish priest's housekeeper who had two daughters, one of whom married a school friend. They emigrated to Canada.

I have extra German in my descendants.  My husband is part-German and two of my children (so far) have ended up with German spouses. There are also Lithuanian, Portuguese, English, Irish, and Mexican bits among them.   

I might have guessed. It's succumbed to Woke. I wonder how long it will take them to get round to Gilbert and Sullivan.

No, not my Gilbert and Sullivan!

Frank

QuoteI have extra German in my descendants.  My husband is part-German and two of my children (so far) have ended up with German spouses.

Excellent reason for learning German then. I'd assumed you were doing it as a hobby.
I believe Hungarian is quite a challenge.  :)