Josh Shapiro on Judaism, religious freedom, abortion, & sodomy

Started by Geremia, August 21, 2018, 09:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

"An Interview with Rep. Josh Shapiro" Philadelphia Jewish Voice (PJV) from 2007, when he was Deputy Speaker of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives:

Quote from: PJVPJV: Is Judaism part of your adult life?

Very much so. It was part of my childhood; it is certainly part of my adult life. My family and I are observant Jews. I went to Jewish Day School at Solomon Schecter and at Akiba, and I think, most importantly, is the influence my Judaism has on my public service. For me, when you boil down all the teachings and all the rituals, fundamentally, Judaism is teaching that none of us is required to complete the task, but neither is any of us free to refrain from it. It is really what guides me in my public service, and what that means, then, is that we don't have a requirement on us to solve every problem, but we are also not permitted to sit on the sidelines and leave someone else do it for us. And so for me, the public service arena has been my way of doing my part to help complete the task.

Quote from: PJVPJV: With regard to Roe v. Wade, if the Roberts' court votes to overturn earlier criteria for permissible termination of pregnancy, would you support a reargument based on First Amendment, Jewish religious grounds?  That is, freedom of religion grounds -- that Jews, in some instances, are not just allowed but required[to terminate a pregnancy?

That's an interesting argument. I had not thought about that. I would support any argument to protect a woman's right to choose, and if we can make an argument on religious grounds, I would.  Should the issue of abortion come back to the states in the event that the Roberts' court would overturn Roe v. Wade, I would vote to keep abortion safe, legal and rare.

Quote from: PJVPJV: With regard to same sex marriages, is there a reason why the Commonwealth could not apply the term civil union to all householding couples and eliminate the state government's involvement with religious sacrament of marriage entirely, but simply avoiding the term marriage in all of its laws and regulations.

It could, but I think it is unrealistic.  Marriage is an important institution in our Commonwealth; it certainly is to me. I would not like to undermine the union of marriage in any way, shape or form.  I think the real issue is whether I would want to confer rights on same sex couples, the same rights as married couples enjoy, and the answer to that is yes.  A same sex couple committed in a relationship should have the same rights and responsibilities as a married couple.

PJV: My point is that if someone wants to take away that capability from some people, why not just take it away from everybody and leave the sacrament of marriage up to churches, synagogues, mosques and other religious institutions?

I suppose that is one approach.  I would have to look into that and see what I think.  I would not want to take the notion of marriage out of our state law.

syllabus.errorum

Quotefor me, the public service arena has been my way of doing my part to help complete the task.

i wonder if "the task" refers to tikkun olam...

hmm

dellery

Observing all the hysterical Jacobin shrieks echoing throughout this board from his admirers, you'd this Mr. child killing Shapiro is working on being the next great saint.

I was waiting for somebody to dig this up.

Thanks Geremia, for caring enough about the Church to explore the character of Her accusers.
Look how all your Barrabas loving fellows drew their daggers out instead.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Sockpuppet

Personally I'll take my chances with Jews over child rapists.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Sockpuppet on August 21, 2018, 07:14:01 PM

Quote"The authoritative 2004 John Jay Study of Catholic priest sexual abuse found that unlike in the general population, where most victims of sexual abuse are female, four out of five victims of Catholic priests are male. Here's a screenshot from the report: 
see screenshot here https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/bishop-there-are-gays-in-the-catholic-hierarchy/

Furthermore, the Jay report found that

The majority of alleged victims were post-pubescent, with only a small  percentage of priests receiving allegations of abusing young children.

So they weren't pedophiles, strictly speaking. These were gay men who wanted to get it on with sexually mature (in the physical sense) boys.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Gardener

Quote from: dellery on August 21, 2018, 07:12:16 PM

Observing all the hysterical Jacobin shrieks echoing throughout this board from his admirers, you'd this Mr. child killing Shapiro is working on being the next great saint.

I was waiting for somebody to dig this up.

Thanks Geremia, for caring enough about the Church to explore the character of Her accusers.
Look how all your Barrabas loving fellows drew their daggers out instead.

Josh Shapiro has admirers on this board? Sure you aren't confusing him with Ben Shapiro?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Sockpuppet

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on August 21, 2018, 08:08:08 PM

Quote"The authoritative 2004 John Jay Study of Catholic priest sexual abuse found that unlike in the general population, where most victims of sexual abuse are female, four out of five victims of Catholic priests are male. Here's a screenshot from the report: 
see screenshot here https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/bishop-there-are-gays-in-the-catholic-hierarchy/

The majority of alleged victims were post-pubescent, with only a small  percentage of priests receiving allegations of abusing young children.

So they weren't pedophiles, strictly speaking. These were gay men who wanted to get it on with sexually mature (in the physical sense) boys.

So no worries about the 1 in 5 girls among the abused?

dellery

Quote from: Gardener on August 21, 2018, 08:20:04 PM

Josh Shapiro has admirers on this board? Sure you aren't confusing him with Ben Shapiro?

You're giving me too much credit, I was just being a d-word.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions

Geremia

Quote from: Sockpuppet on August 21, 2018, 07:14:01 PMPersonally I'll take my chances with Jews over child rapists.
Judaism is a satanic ideology like Islam.
Shapiro is willing to defend child-killing on religious grounds!
See also ch. 28 of The Jewish Revolutionary Spirit.

abc123

So I guess this interview once and for all disproves the report of sexual abuse by PA priests. Thank goodness!

Sempronius

Gardener

Typically, when one stares at the ground in shame, confusion, or deep thought, one's own foot is not a viable target despite an itchy trigger finger.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Sockpuppet on August 21, 2018, 08:29:12 PM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on August 21, 2018, 08:08:08 PM

So no worries about the 1 in 5 girls among the abused?

What benefit does that statement bring to the discussion?   Does it really have to be stated that no Catholic supports girls being abused? 

For decades the facts bear out that the overwhelmingly predominant problem is predatory sodomite priests, not the picture being painted once again by the media and the Vatican spokemen.

Sure pedophiles who prey on the pre pubescent sneak their way into the Church, and every other institution that gives them access to children, and it's disgraceful, shameful and disgusting, but the lavender elephant in the room is quite gigantic and nothing will change until we all shout it from the rooftops. The Pope and the MSM are implanting images over and over of priests who prey on the 'lttle ones'.   And while that is true in comparatively very small measure and of course should be addressed, this focus is manipulative and a distraction.  Don't be fooled once again.  They've been playing this card for years, and it keeps the sodomites firmly entrenched, apologizing away for the pedo hetero priests.  What a head game.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

syllabus.errorum

dellery

Quote from: syllabus.errorum on August 22, 2018, 07:49:29 PM

how about jewish child rapists?

New case of neonatal herpes caused by Jewish circumcision

QuoteThe ancient practice — known as metzitzah b'peh — requires a mohel, the person performing the circumcision, to suck blood from the incision on an infant's penis.
It has long been linked to neonatal herpes and has consistently raised red flags in the medical community. The practice continues without restriction in the city after Mayor de Blasio made a pledge to the ­Hasidic community during his 2013 campaign to lift a requirement of written parental consent.

https://nypost.com/2017/03/08/new-case-of-neonatal-herpes-caused-by-jewish-circumcision/

Nous Defions