Bearded men are less attractive to women squeamish about bugs

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, January 16, 2020, 09:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 17, 2020, 11:55:15 AM
QuoteNature has programmed us on a deep, visceral level to be attracted to mates who show the most masculine and feminine qualities for reproduction. For a man, that has to do with anything testosterone related -- taller, with bigger muscles and more facial hair. (...) In fact, men with masculine features such as a wide jaw and strong brow who had beards were the most attractive for both types of relationships.

Despite all social constructs, in the end it all comes down to genetics.

The fittest reproduce, the weakest die off.

Lol Vetus, you liked to browse r/Braincels?
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on January 17, 2020, 02:07:38 PM
QuoteNature has programmed us on a deep, visceral level to be attracted to mates who show the most masculine and feminine qualities for reproduction. For a man, that has to do with anything testosterone related -- taller, with bigger muscles and more facial hair. (...) In fact, men with masculine features such as a wide jaw and strong brow who had beards were the most attractive for both types of relationships.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

dellery

Speaking from past experience, beards are a form of vanity.
Even if was permitted to grow a beard now, I would not have one, and would instead follow the example of our Roman brethren.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Lynne

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 17, 2020, 02:16:11 PM
Quote from: TheReturnofLive on January 17, 2020, 02:07:38 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's a sub-forum on Reddit, I'm guessing...  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

dellery

Quote from: Lynne on January 17, 2020, 03:58:46 PM

It's a sub-forum on Reddit, I'm guessing...  :)

LOL! Even I guessed that.

I'm going to check the place out now knowing Vetus Ordo browses there.
Not that we couldn't find the platitudes he spews peppered over the web already though.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: dellery on January 17, 2020, 04:34:54 PMI'm going to check the place out now knowing Vetus Ordo browses there. Not that we couldn't find the platitudes he spews peppered over the web already though.

It wouldn't be necessary to check anything if you had basic notions of Biology and Anthropology. Res ipsa loquitur. Sooner or later, you always pay the price when you don't pay attention to science classes in school.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 17, 2020, 05:47:23 PM
Quote from: dellery on January 17, 2020, 04:34:54 PMI'm going to check the place out now knowing Vetus Ordo browses there. Not that we couldn't find the platitudes he spews peppered over the web already though.

It wouldn't be necessary to check anything if you had basic notions of Biology and Anthropology. Res ipsa loquitur. Sooner or later, you always pay the price when you don't pay attention to science classes in school.

If only we paid attention to those classes and could be a scientist like Vetus is. Then maybe we would recognize the truth of Social Darwinism, which, as we all know, every Biologist subscribes to.

Do you really think that men and women today are becoming more intelligent, stronger, more beautiful, more motivated, and wealthier per capita? In my own perception, the complete opposite is true. Human society as we know it is imploding, which will result in either totalitarianism or anarchy, or a frightful combination of both.

The horrible and juvenile, but ironically relevant movie "Idiocracy" has a theory that seems to be more correct. (Warning: Profanity)

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis

Gardener

Quote from: dellery on January 17, 2020, 02:24:45 PM
Even if was permitted to grow a beard now, I would not have one, and would instead follow the example of our Roman brethren.

Wear capris and beat your wife because she hates your mistress?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: dellery on January 17, 2020, 02:24:45 PM

"But for one who is a man to comb himself and shave himself with a razor, for the sake of fine effect, to arrange his hair at the looking-glass, to shave his cheeks, pluck hairs out of them, and smooth them, how womanly!...For God wished women to be smooth, and rejoice in their locks alone growing spontaneously, as a horse in his mane; but has adorned man, like the lions, with a beard..." - Saint Clement of Alexandria

Yeah, I know he's not right - after all, it's pitiful that God has created Asian genetics if this quote were true - but I don't think that beards are a form of vanity. Often times, they are a great show of masculinity, and it's for that reason why its normative for Byzantine-Rite priests to have a beard, and even why traditionalist Orthodox people think that the trimming of the beard is a sign of modernism and apostasy.

http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/clergy_hair.aspx

dellery

TROL, a bearded man going about like a lion with a mane seems extremely vein.

A women is glorified by her hair, not a man.

Nous Defions

The Curt Jester

Actually, a beard is a sign that you're boycotting Gillette.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: dellery on January 17, 2020, 09:09:46 PM
TROL, a bearded man going about like a lion with a mane seems extremely vein.

Take it up with Saint Clement of Alexandria, and the Saints who have such beards (see iconography of Clement of Alexandria, Cyril of Alexandria, Saint Patrick, Saint Nicholas, Saint Maximus the Confessor, Basil the Great, Gregory of Nyssa, Gregory the Nazianzen, Saint Cyril of Jerusalem, Saint Ambrose, Saint Benedict, Saint Cyril and Methodius, Saint Gregory the Illuminator, Pope Pius V, Maximilian Kolbe, Andrew Bobola, Charbel, and more if you really want)

I can agree that Saint Clement of Alexandria was wrong (beards shouldn't be required of all men), but to pose that "having a beard is vanity" is ridiculous, considering that many Saints have it, and you haven't become a Saint yet.

A women is glorified by her hair, not a man.

1 Corinthians 11:2-16

"Now I praise you, brethren, that in all things you are mindful of me: and keep my ordinances as I have delivered them to you.
But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
Every man praying or prophesying with his head covered, disgraceth his head.
But every woman praying or prophesying with her head not covered, disgraceth her head: for it is all one as if she were shaven.
For if a woman be not covered, let her be shorn. But if it be a shame to a woman to be shorn or made bald, let her cover her head.
The man indeed ought not to cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of the man.
For the man is not of the woman, but the woman of the man.
For the man was not created for the woman, but the woman for the man."

dellery

For men today it seems to be mostly vanity.
Testosterone counts are at a low, by and large, men are more docile and effeminate than ever, but bearded men are increasingly common.
My theory is that nowadays having a beard is an external compensation for being internally emasculated.
Not all bearded males are like this and they know I'm not talking about them here.

Nous Defions

TheReturnofLive

Quote from: dellery on January 17, 2020, 10:08:50 PM
For men today it seems to be mostly vanity.
Testosterone counts are at a low, by and large, men are more docile and effeminate than ever, but bearded men are increasingly common.
My theory is that nowadays having a beard is an external compensation for being internally emasculated.
Not all bearded males are like this and they know I'm not talking about them here.

Fair enough. I can agree with that.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: TheReturnofLive on January 17, 2020, 07:31:00 PMIf only we paid attention to those classes and could be a scientist like Vetus is. Then maybe we would recognize the truth of Social Darwinism, which, as we all know, every Biologist subscribes to.

Strawman.

QuoteDo you really think that men and women today are becoming more intelligent, stronger, more beautiful, more motivated, and wealthier per capita?

That was really not my point.

However, since you insist, it's an observable fact that human beings on average are stronger, taller, healthier, better off and more knowledgeable today than in the past. On average, I repeat. This is tied to a number of factors that are not necessarily biological but here we are. The world will still end in disaster, though.