Improving my German

Started by PatrickG, February 11, 2013, 10:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

There's Red, Blonde, and Brunette. When I say "dark" I don't necessarily mean jet black, but black or any shade of brown.

In fact, I wonder if AD is a natural blonde or a natural brunette.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Ben on February 12, 2013, 05:42:26 AM

I'm a natural blonde. Sorry, Ben. Your mysterious hair color detector seems to be about as reliable as your mysterious feminism detector. Do you also dowse for water?

Ben

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on February 12, 2013, 07:44:13 AM
Quote from: Ben on February 12, 2013, 05:42:26 AM

I'm a natural blonde. Sorry, Ben. Your mysterious hair color detector seems to be about as reliable as your mysterious feminism detector. Do you also dowse for water?

I haven't read enough of your posts, but antagonism towards me suggests feminism. You also like Vetus, and only feminists like him.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Ben on February 12, 2013, 07:55:06 AM
I haven't read enough of your posts, but antagonism towards me suggests feminism. You also like Vetus, and only feminists like him.

Antagonism? Ben, I enjoy you immensely! Though not as much as Vetus... and in a different way.

Ben

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on February 12, 2013, 08:20:21 AM
Quote from: Ben on February 12, 2013, 07:55:06 AM

Antagonism? Ben, I enjoy you immensely! Though not as much as Vetus... and in a different way.

That's okay, AD! I know how to handle rejection.

Besides, I'm going to be wearing diapers in a few years.

Heinrich

Können wir bitte erwidern, wie man die deutsche Sprache am besten lernen kann? Danke.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: PatrickG on February 11, 2013, 10:26:50 AM
As there are a lot of German speakers on this forum, I wonder if any of tem might recommend some good German books to read in order to improve my command of that language? I was taught it, but reading in the original is probably the best way either to improve fluency or tide it over.
I've always been wary of Goethe and Schiller - I detest The Sorrows of Young Werther and the latter was a Freemason - so do you know of good, Catholic German books?

To get back to the original question, how about the Visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich?

Ancilla Domini

If you don't mind something more secular, I would also recommend the works of Erich Maria Remarque, both All Quiet on the Western Front (Im Westen nichts Neues) and The Road Back (Der Weg zurück). I read them both a long time ago, so I can't vouch for their absolute Catholicity, but I remember them, at least, as great literature.