Made the Advent Candle for our Church.

Started by Greg, December 03, 2023, 04:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Pure Beeswax, (just in case).

Made the candles myself from large red bull tin cans, frame from olive tree wood from Jerusalem, wax catchers on bottom of candles from a local charity shop.  Easy to drill with tile drill and screw to wood.

Next year will make or adapt an oak stand
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

drummerboy

I'm surprised to see an Advent wreath in a traditional church.  Otherwise nice craftsmanship  ;)
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Melkor

RedBull gives you wiiings...! (And also molds for advent candles, allegedly 😅)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Greg

Their cans are stronger and better made than other drinks.  They make good moulds as you can peel them away and get a smooth shiny finish.  Thinner cans buckle slightly with the heat of the candle so you can end up with a slightly oval candle.

I suspect they have more money to spend on the can as the drink is such an overpriced rip-off.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Melkor

Quote from: Greg on December 03, 2023, 03:01:01 PMTheir cans are stronger and better made than other drinks.  They make good moulds as you can peel them away and get a smooth shiny finish.  Thinner cans buckle slightly with the heat of the candle so you can end up with a slightly oval candle.

I suspect they have more money to spend on the can as the drink is such an overpriced rip-off.

Yeah RedBull is a bit pricey but it's the best energy drink on the market. I don't drink a lot of energy drinks these days but when I do it's usually RedBull. Actually might pick up a couple for tonight I'm working the night shift.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Greg

I double wicked the white candle as it is supposed to represent Christ and is lit on Christmas night, so I wanted it to appear extra bright compared to the outer 4.  The two wicks are 7/8 inch apart which usually mean you get a merged triangular flame and a steady burn without any flickering.

Greg

drummerboy

Quote from: Greg on December 04, 2023, 04:09:42 AM
Quote from: drummerboy on December 03, 2023, 11:17:32 AMI'm surprised to see an Advent wreath in a traditional church.  Otherwise nice craftsmanship  ;)

Not that uncommon

http://totustuusfamily.blogspot.com/2016/12/traditional-latin-mass-advent-12-photos.html

I was referring more to its recent usage and roots in Lutheranism, hence my surprise.  I'm not saying there's anything inherently bad with Advent wreaths either.

Greg

We Catholics in the UK also sing hymns written by Protestants.

dueSicilie

Quote from: drummerboy on December 04, 2023, 09:42:11 AM
Quote from: drummerboy on December 03, 2023, 11:17:32 AMI'm surprised to see an Advent wreath in a traditional church.  Otherwise nice craftsmanship  ;)

Not that uncommon

http://totustuusfamily.blogspot.com/2016/12/traditional-latin-mass-advent-12-photos.html

I was referring more to its recent usage and roots in Lutheranism, hence my surprise.  I'm not saying there's anything inherently bad with Advent wreaths either.

My sspx chapel in Wisconsin has one.

drummerboy

Quote from: dueSicilie on December 04, 2023, 10:10:16 AM

Not that uncommon

I didn't know you were a fellow Wisky  :cheeseheadbeer:

The ICK oratory I attend doesn't, but they're very particular about anything liturgical so I'm not surprised.

dueSicilie

Quote from: drummerboy on December 05, 2023, 10:30:05 AM

Not that uncommon

The ICK oratory I attend doesn't, but they're very particular about anything liturgical so I'm not surprised.

Hey, neighbour! Do you go to St. Mary's in Wausau or the one in Milwaukee?

drummerboy

drummerboy

Quote from: dueSicilie on December 05, 2023, 10:31:49 AM

Not that uncommon

Wausau.  Although I do darken the doors of St. Patrick's in GB on occasion.

dueSicilie

Quote from: drummerboy on December 05, 2023, 10:40:43 AM
Quote from: dueSicilie on December 05, 2023, 10:31:49 AM

Not that uncommon

Wausau.  Although I do darken the doors of St. Patrick's in GB on occasion.

I have been to the oratory in Wausau! I really like it. It is one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen outside of Europe.