Practicing Catholicism :Sermons and Talks Videos Thread

Started by Acolyte, October 06, 2022, 07:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acolyte

Please share any videos here that you found of spiritual benefit.

I'm working through Fr Ripperger's and today this one left me with wanting more of the same. So I found a second one I benefited from as well.

I'm blessed to have access to this shrine 24/7.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

diaduit

Wonderful idea.  I've been wanting something like this for so long but never bit the bullet.

Instaurare omnia

When I was in the process of returning to the Church, watching talks by Franciscan Friars of the Renewal helped me a lot. However, their YouTube channel is sponsored by Ascension Press, and while the order was founded as a reform breakaway from the lax tendencies of the Capuchins, it is not a fully traditionalist one. (It is a different order from the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate.) It was founded by Fr. Benedict Groeschel as well as some others who have even spoken in favor of Medjugorje. On the other hand, they live among the poor, their sister order keeps to full habits and has many postulants, and one of theirs is among those arrested recently by the FBI for padlocking an abortion clinic. In short, they're not OFM, and to use an overused word, they are indeed "based".

If anyone here strongly feels that this thread should keep to sources exclusively TLM, please say so, and I will respect that request.
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Acolyte

Quote from: Instaurare omnia on October 07, 2022, 08:54:13 AM

If anyone here strongly feels that this thread should keep to sources exclusively TLM, please say so, and I will respect that request.

Anything orthodox is fine by me !
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."

Acolyte

Brief but informative one on angels.

St Alphonsus

Lynne

Father Cassian Folsom O.S.B., former Prior of the Monks of Norcia has several lectures on praying without ceasing.

Here's the whole playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnftOVqh-jlblFa9JSHOcj-09Jz9jXCqd
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Acolyte

Quote from: Lynne on October 08, 2022, 08:20:09 AM
Father Cassian Folsom O.S.B., former Prior of the Monks of Norcia has several lectures on praying without ceasing.

Here's the whole playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnftOVqh-jlblFa9JSHOcj-09Jz9jXCqd

Thanks for posting that. I'm working my way through Lehodey's Ways of of Mental Prayer and as I'm single and at 64 plan to remain that way, and blessed to have an antebellum German Gothic church as my workplace, I may be able to make prayer without ceasing a goal in as much that one who lives outside a monastery can do so.

Either way, an increase in prayer is good for the soul at any level.

ETA: I did watch enough of the first one to see that it will be a good addition to Lehodey's book.
St Alphonsus

Acolyte

Found a video reading of The Ways of Mental Prayer by Dom Vitalis Lehodey
Here is part 1..

St Alphonsus

Acolyte

St Alphonsus

Miriam_M

This particular series on Fr. Ripperger's site features Spiritual Life.  It's a series of sequenced talks on the basics of spiritual growth and the unfortunate reality of how complacent Catholics can be, relying on "staying out of [mortal] sin" as the supposed ultimate goal of our faith, when it is not.

Sanctification is the only way we'll arrive in Heaven, and sanctification goes far beyond staying out of serious sin.  Most Catholics -- especially those lacking a spiritual director -- are blind to what is called our predominant fault or primary defect.  Without confronting that in ourselves, we will not be ready to see God face-to-face.

He also makes an important point about the absence of spiritual reading among trads and the unfortunate reliance on the Mass and vocal prayer, which are baby steps of a much longer and deeper journey.  Here's the series:

http://sensustraditionis.org/release/spiritual-life/

Acolyte

Predominant Fault
Never heard the term but I found this one very helpful.

ETA: found the follow up sermon

St Alphonsus

Lynne

Quote from: Acolyte on October 18, 2022, 09:29:22 AM
Predominant Fault
Never heard the term but I found this one very helpful.

Search this forum. It's been discussed several times. Good stuff.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

diaduit

Would you mind me asking if you could title who the video is from e.g. Fr Ripperger - always excellent, Fr Alar etc so I can know the ones that comes from the priests as opposed to non-religious discussing a topic.

Greg

Some of my favourite sermons are Bishop Williamson's.

Mostly on Rumble and Telegram.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Lynne

Quote from: diaduit on October 22, 2022, 12:39:01 AM
Would you mind me asking if you could title who the video is from e.g. Fr Ripperger - always excellent, Fr Alar etc so I can know the ones that comes from the priests as opposed to non-religious discussing a topic.

The 2 videos above on finding our predominant fault are by Father Phil Wolfe (FSSP).