An examination of Papal infallibility

Started by 1seeker, July 28, 2015, 01:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Quaremerepulisti on July 28, 2015, 08:20:09 PM
QuoteI'd like to have an informed discussion of this issue. Is the doctrine of Infallibility the root of the problem and the reason for Catholics passivity in resisting modernist invasion? Can legitimate Catholics faithfully dispute this doctrine?

No, but it is legitimate to look at the climate in which Infallibility arose, and that was one of a desire to completely centralize the Church, to place all its prerogatives in the office of Peter.  It was felt that this would be a great power against the forces ranged against the Church at the time.  However, just like the hypothetical situation in "A Man for All Seasons" where the devil turned on Roper after Roper laid all the laws flat to get the devil and Roper had afterwards nowhere to hide, this has backfired on the Church.
Quarem,
be careful with the "conditioned by the time" argument; its pretty close to the argument used by the modernists to take away any value from the condemnations of Liberalism by Pius IX and modernism by St. Pius X.  The Conciliar declaration does not exhaust all of Peter's privileges; as it did not mention the infallibility of the Pope in matters of discipline or liturgy. There is also the question of the infallibility of the ordinary magisterium of the Pope; which has not been sufficiently developed. For example Pope Leo XIII declared that Anglican Orders were "null and void"; Pope Pius X settled the issue of the age at which children could make their first holy communion, also the dispositions necessary for daily communion. Pius XII the issue of the essential matter and form for the Sacrament of Holy Orders, and the use of non-fertile periods in Holy Matrimony to regulate births. All  these decisions were considered final and all by the ordinary magisterium of the Popes.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Maximilian

It's easy to argue one side of an argument when your opponents are forbidden from presenting the other side.

Quaremerepulisti

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 29, 2015, 08:25:35 AMQuarem,
be careful with the "conditioned by the time" argument; its pretty close to the argument used by the modernists to take away any value from the condemnations of Liberalism by Pius IX and modernism by St. Pius X. 

No, it's not anywhere close to the same argument.  It's like pointing out that the condemnations of liberalism and modernism arose in a climate where many, even those who claimed to be Catholic, believed in those things.

QuoteThe Conciliar declaration does not exhaust all of Peter's privileges; as it did not mention the infallibility of the Pope in matters of discipline or liturgy. There is also the question of the infallibility of the ordinary magisterium of the Pope; which has not been sufficiently developed. For example Pope Leo XIII declared that Anglican Orders were "null and void"; Pope Pius X settled the issue of the age at which children could make their first holy communion, also the dispositions necessary for daily communion. Pius XII the issue of the essential matter and form for the Sacrament of Holy Orders, and the use of non-fertile periods in Holy Matrimony to regulate births. All  these decisions were considered final and all by the ordinary magisterium of the Popes.

It's just not that simple.  What Pius XII wrote about Holy Orders (matter = laying on of hands) actually contradicted what was laid down before at the Council of Florence (matter = handing over of the instruments), and that the practice of infants making their first Holy Communion in the Eastern Rites continued unabated through the pontificate of St. Pius X.

Quaremerepulisti

Quote from: Xavier on July 29, 2015, 04:27:23 AM
So, the goings-on at Vatican I are of no consequence whatever to the incontrovertible truth of this dogma.

Well I agree, though all your cites are regarding Papal Primacy, not Papal Infallibility as such.  But that doesn't mean the drive to more and more centralize the Church was a good thing.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Maximilian on July 29, 2015, 02:57:30 PM
It's easy to argue one side of an argument when your opponents are forbidden from presenting the other side.
Max
the argument was settled at Vatican I for Catholics.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

Quarem,
I'm sorry, I didn't really understand your response to my objection on the "conditioned" argument. Would you mind elaborating a little bit more on this?

Re. On the Infallibility of the Pope's ordinary magisterium; I agree that it isn't so simple. I read through Dom Paul Nau's book and I'm not sure all of the issues are that clear.
Re. On Florence; Its true that Pius XII did apparently contradict Florence on the tradition of the instruments; but Florence's decree on the Armenians (I believe that is where they mention the various matters and forms of the sacraments); was not meant to settle the issue but to explain what the usage of the Latin Church was in those sacraments in order to ascertain that they were on "the same page" us the Latin Church as to the doctrine they held regarding those sacraments.

1seeker

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 29, 2015, 04:18:35 PM
Max

Couldn't we likewise say the argument was settled at Vatican II and with the Novus Ordo?

Beale

Quote from: 1seeker on July 29, 2015, 05:08:50 PM
Max

Couldn't we likewise say the argument was settled at Vatican II and with the Novus Ordo?

Precisely.

Gardener

Max

No.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

HelpThisCatholic

Quote from: Gardener on July 29, 2015, 05:34:51 PM
Max

No.

Can you explain why not? I would like your perspective.

Hiero of Syracuse

Because issues concerning religious liberty and ecumenism were settled long before the Council, yet its architectures decided to ignore that anyway.

Maximilian

Max

It's hypocritical for you to say that when you know that things don't go that smoothly for you when I'm allowed to post.
It's like teasing a dog behind a fence.

Quaremerepulisti

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 29, 2015, 04:25:57 PM
Quarem,
I'm sorry, I didn't really understand your response to my objection on the "conditioned" argument. Would you mind elaborating a little bit more on this?

Sure.  There is a huge difference between saying a doctrine is historically conditioned in itself (which means it is only applicable to the particular time of its definition) and saying that historical circumstances led people in the Church to want to define it (though once defined, it is applicable for all time).  The former denies the very notion of dogma, while the latter is obviously true for anyone with the barest knowledge of Church history.

QuoteRe. On the Infallibility of the Pope's ordinary magisterium; I agree that it isn't so simple. I read through Dom Paul Nau's book and I'm not sure all of the issues are that clear.
Re. On Florence; Its true that Pius XII did apparently contradict Florence on the tradition of the instruments; but Florence's decree on the Armenians (I believe that is where they mention the various matters and forms of the sacraments); was not meant to settle the issue but to explain what the usage of the Latin Church was in those sacraments in order to ascertain that they were on "the same page" us the Latin Church as to the doctrine they held regarding those sacraments.

Right, but if the matter and form can be determined by the Church, there is no real contradiction to speak of.  But the point it hasn't been determined "finally" since a future Pope could determine the matter and form to be something else.

Michael Wilson

Thank you for the reply on the "historical condition" question. 
re. On the Matter and form of the Sacrament of Orders...I will look into this. But thank you again.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Maximilian on July 29, 2015, 07:10:24 PM
Max

It's hypocritical for you to say that when you know that things don't go that smoothly for you when I'm allowed to post.
It's like teasing a dog behind a fence.
And its "unsporting" of you to continually seek to have a battle of wits with an un-armed man!