If Suscipe Domine were a bar...

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, May 14, 2021, 05:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Melkor on May 17, 2021, 04:44:31 PM
Yes Tolkien avoided any comparisons to Christian history and his own mythology. He actually got quite angry when people compared the two.

What do you guys think about "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth" and the authority Christopher Tolkien said his father gave it?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Insanis

Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2021, 06:22:48 PM
What do you guys think about "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth" and the authority Christopher Tolkien said his father gave it?

This may sound like a very weird thing to write at this particular moment, but I'm not that into it and never read and do not own The History of Middle-earth.

So, I don't really know or care what Christopher Tolkien says about it.

I don't read fiction much anymore at all, but besides Tolkien, I also like Lovecraft, and I only care about and read what H. P. Lovecraft wrote, not everybody else, even though they fleshed things out, I see it and Tolkien's work purely for entertainment and prefer to have some unfinished and unexplained aspects to maintain the literary aspect of it being just for entertainment.

So, in a way, when I like some diversion, I get "deep" into it, but not beyond the surface.

When I was a child, I was a bit obsessed by a certain fictional work, and I spent a lot of time reading in bookstores (yes, I treated bookstores as libraries, and I was poor, and I could ready very quickly). It had a massive extended corpus and rich detailed and ultimately pointless world building. In terms of reality, being that I could only read what I could when I was brought to the bookstore, I didn't get that far, but later in life, I saw people who had walls and even rooms entirely devoted to the same subject.

Now, my less than enlightening reading (ie, most fiction) takes up an allocated space and no more.

Melkor

Quote from: Insanis on May 17, 2021, 06:43:31 PM

This may sound like a very weird thing to write at this particular moment, but I'm not that into it and never read and do not own The History of Middle-earth.

So, I don't really know or care what Christopher Tolkien says about it.

I don't read fiction much anymore at all, but besides Tolkien, I also like Lovecraft, and I only care about and read what H. P. Lovecraft wrote, not everybody else, even though they fleshed things out, I see it and Tolkien's work purely for entertainment and prefer to have some unfinished and unexplained aspects to maintain the literary aspect of it being just for entertainment.

So, in a way, when I like some diversion, I get "deep" into it, but not beyond the surface.

When I was a child, I was a bit obsessed by a certain fictional work, and I spent a lot of time reading in bookstores (yes, I treated bookstores as libraries, and I was poor, and I could ready very quickly). It had a massive extended corpus and rich detailed and ultimately pointless world building. In terms of reality, being that I could only read what I could when I was brought to the bookstore, I didn't get that far, but later in life, I saw people who had walls and even rooms entirely devoted to the same subject.

Now, my less than enlightening reading (ie, most fiction) takes up an allocated space and no more.

Same, never read it and don't plan to. It isn't actually an addition to the mythos; it is literally just a history of how it came to be written, and its different developmental stages.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on May 17, 2021, 06:48:02 PM
Same, never read it and don't plan to. It isn't actually an addition to the mythos; it is literally just a history of how it came to be written, and its different developmental stages.

I took a cursory glance at it (in a bookstore as an adult), but I didn't grok it.

I don't believe in a "canon" per se when it comes to fiction. I try to avoid that trap and enjoy things for what they are and no more. I have to set a limit somewhere.

james03

QuoteMaybe. I don't remember too much. A lot has changed since back then anyway.

Back then?  Recent history.  In the beginning was AngelQueen.  THAT was interesting because pretty famous people, like Wanderer reporters, would come on to debate.  Those that attacked Trads were destroyed in debate.  Good times.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Michael Wilson

Quote from: james03 on May 17, 2021, 06:59:06 PM
QuoteMaybe. I don't remember too much. A lot has changed since back then anyway.

Back then?  Recent history.  In the beginning was AngelQueen.  THAT was interesting because pretty famous people, like Wanderer reporters, would come on to debate.  Those that attacked Trads were destroyed in debate.  Good times.
I was on angelqueen for a while; James what was your user name?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Insanis

Quote from: james03 on May 17, 2021, 06:59:06 PM

In the beginning was the Word.

But in terms of forums, I don't remember too well.

As far as debates go, against people with opposing views, unless one side changes, there is no winner.

The oldest posts of mine were lost to the great bit bucket in the sky.

Tennessean

Quote from: Melkor on May 17, 2021, 04:44:31 PM
Yes Tolkien avoided any comparisons to Christian history and his own mythology. He actually got quite angry when people compared the two.

I think its nice. I like all the stuff Tolkien wrote, his translation of Beowulf and attempt at a story for Beowulf's nephew. I like his interviews as well. Just a likable fella.

I got this confused with the Children of Hurin. I looked up Athrabeth and Finod, I haven't read it yet.

Jacob

Melkor, you should check this out if you don't want to find a copy of _Morgoth's Ring_.  I'm interested in what you think about it.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Melkor

It seems extremely interesting Mellon! I skimmed through it but have had a few beers; and I think it is best enjoyed sober. Will look into it fully tomorrow.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

red solo cup

Quote from: Jayne on May 17, 2021, 04:09:55 PM
Quote from: Insanis on May 17, 2021, 04:03:31 PM
Quote from: Jayne on May 17, 2021, 03:57:04 PM
Thank you, but I must decline the bull: bos, bovis, bovi, bovem, bove, boves, boum, bobus, boves, bobus    

I like the joke and find it funny.

But I think you made a slight error there.

bos, bovis is an irregular third declension noun.  Here is the relevant section from Allen and Greenough, one of the most authoritative reference grammar texts:  http://dcc.dickinson.edu/grammar/latin/3rd-declension-irregular-nouns  (I did omit the vocatives, because lately I've been working with a program that does this for pedagogical reasons. )
This why we refer to Jayne as sapientissimus.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 17, 2021, 05:20:24 PM
bos, bovis is an irregular third declension noun.  Here is the relevant section from Allen and Greenough, one of the most authoritative reference grammar texts:  http://dcc.dickinson.edu/grammar/latin/3rd-declension-irregular-nouns  (I did omit the vocatives, because lately I've been working with a program that does this for pedagogical reasons. )

I'd avoid such a program if I were you.

I found it jarring at first, but I have come to think there is a good argument for it.  This treatment of vocative case is comparable to the typical treatment of the locative, for similar reasons. 

Edit to add a link to a new thread for discussing the Latin vocative issue:  https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=25495.0

Quote from: red solo cup on May 18, 2021, 03:20:51 AM
Quote from: Insanis on May 17, 2021, 04:03:31 PM
Quote from: Jayne on May 17, 2021, 03:57:04 PM
Thank you, but I must decline the bull: bos, bovis, bovi, bovem, bove, boves, boum, bobus, boves, bobus    

I like the joke and find it funny.

But I think you made a slight error there.

This why we refer to Jayne as sapientissimus.

sapientissima, please.  :-*
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

james03

QuoteI was on angelqueen for a while; James what was your user name?

I honestly don't remember.  Probably some variant of James or jadep.  There was a poster named Pascendi.  We used to team up a lot and beat back the universalists.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Melkor

The younger guys crowd James, buying him drinks and telling him how good his book was. 

Insanis

I think we'd get our license revoked and labeled a nuisance bar.

Every thread is an opportunity for a fight.