The Church Courtyard > Catholic Liturgical Life

Evening Mass on Holy Days of Obligation?

(1/4) > >>

Daniel:
I've noticed that on holy days of obligation, a lot of the smaller trad parishes schedule Mass for the evening (instead of the morning). The biggest reason for this, as I understand it, is so that people who need to work the morning/day shift will still be able to fulfill the Church's requirement to attend Mass.

I'm just wondering, was this a common practice prior to Vatican II?

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. People shouldn't be working on holy days of obligation to begin with, so why are accomodations being made? On the one hand, it does seem to be a nice thing to do for them. But on the other hand, it seems almost like a license to sin. Would it not be better to force them to make a decisive choice, to sin or not to sin? They may refrain from working, as they ought to be doing anyway... or else they'll just have to miss Mass and incur the double sin.

Apart from that, is it just me or is this at least somewhat disruptive to everyone else? Holy days of obligation are basically Sundays, and the Sunday is supposed to be centered on God (even more so than the other days of the week). So it feels pretty natural to go to Mass first thing in the morning, or at least some time in the morning. Then after Mass we are free to recreate and rest. It all makes sense. But by moving Mass to the evening, it's like everything's turned upsidedown. Here I am anxiously sitting around, wasting the day away, waiting until late afternoon when it's time to go to Mass... and then by the time Mass is over and I'm back home, the day is over and it's already time to go to sleep. I suppose it could be argued that I ought to adjust my schedule accordingly... but I just can never get the hang of this bizarre rhythm. It just feels like God is more of an afterthought and not central. Anyone else get that feeling?

Lastly, could this not actually prevent some people from making it to Mass? I personally live two and a half hours away from my chapel, and I don't drive very well at night. The drive home is not something I look forward to, and is potentially dangerous. I think I can probably make it there and back without falling asleep at the wheel, but some people in my situation--especially the elderly--might not be able to do so, and may thus be forced to skip Mass.

And what about the people who observe the more traditional Eucharistic fast: no food or drink between midnight and Holy Communion? Seems they're out of luck.

andy:
Why you are focusing so tight on not your problems?

Get on the knees, grab the Rosary and pray it every day. You showed recently that this is within your abilities. Our Lady will slowly pull your from whatever mess you are in.

Daniel:

--- Quote from: andy on May 13, 2021, 11:08:09 PM ---Why you are focusing so tight on not your problems?

Get on the knees, grab the Rosary and pray it every day. You showed recently that this is within your abilities. Our Lady will slowly pull your from whatever mess you are in.

--- End quote ---

Maybe I'll do that once I can make sense of it.

But what has that got to do with anything? Sorry if the thread came across as more of a rant, but was interested in discussion on the topic. It's origins, whether it makes sense, is a good idea, etc.

For something more "controversial", what about the practice of scheduling Mass for the evening before the holy day of obligation? Many trads complain that this is a novelty, or they say that it somehow constitutes a sin against the third commandment... but I'm not seeing it. I don't know the history of the so-called "anticipated Mass", but I think it actually makes a lot more sense than having Mass at the end of the holy day. Of course it's not ideal, but I'd think the anticipated Mass should be preferable over the end-of-the-day Mass since you're at least starting the holy day off on the right foot... seeing as vespers usually isn't even an option at most parishes.

andy:

--- Quote from: Daniel on May 14, 2021, 07:26:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: andy on May 13, 2021, 11:08:09 PM ---Why you are focusing so tight on not your problems?

--- End quote ---

Maybe I'll do that once I can make sense of it.

--- End quote ---

It has ALL to do with the topic. If you reject the prayer and contemplation and live in the state of condemnation aka mortal sin, you are spiritually blind and will not be able to arrive at the Truth. This is that simple.

The Harlequin King:

--- Quote ---I'm just wondering, was this a common practice prior to Vatican II?
--- End quote ---

No. The reason is because before certain revisions to liturgical law by Pope Pius XII in the 1950's, Mass was usually not allowed to be offered after 1pm.

That being said, as an MC/subdeacon/cantor/schola director, I never, and I mean NEVER offer my services to assist on a weekday before 6pm. If you want to have a sung Requiem for a funeral, you better keep that body on ice 'til Saturday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version