The Church Courtyard > Ask a Traditionalist

Is this a questionable baptism

(1/5) > >>

TandJ:
Iím reading a blog from a Catholic woman and it appears the priest and her oldest son both poured the water on the childís head together. I told the lady to ask her Bishop and I also sent the link to the Bishop of the diocese asking. What do you all think? I donít mean to go all ďKarenĒ but if it was my kids Iíd want someone to tell me if the Baptism was sketchy

Vetus Ordo:

--- Quote from: TandJ on May 08, 2021, 06:59:59 PM ---Iím reading a blog from a Catholic woman and it appears the priest and her oldest son both poured the water on the childís head together. I told the lady to ask her Bishop and I also sent the link to the Bishop of the diocese asking. What do you all think? I donít mean to go all ďKarenĒ but if it was my kids Iíd want someone to tell me if the Baptism was sketchy
--- End quote ---

The situation is a bit awkward.

Nevertheless, if pure and natural water was used, along with the right formula, then the baptism should be valid.

Jayne:
If they changed the words to "we baptize you" (rather than "I baptize you) because there were two people doing it, then the baptism was invalid and the child still needs to be baptized.

Even if they left the words alone, it was probably illicit.  I think you were right to report it to the bishop.  Priests have no business messing around with Sacraments.

Michael Wilson:
Yes, the pouring of the water by both the priest and the son is dicey, since there is only one who administers the sacrament; and also what Jane mentioned; the possibility of altering the words to reflect the tandem action.

Daniel:
How was this done? Were they each pouring separate things of water, or were they both holding onto a single thing of water as it was being poured?

I'd report it. Depending on the bishop he's probably not going to do anything about it, and you might not even get through to him (too much bureaucracy), but you can at least try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version