The Church Courtyard > Catholic Liturgical Life

The Pre-1955 Holy Week: A Liturgical, Spiritual, and Cultural Treasure

<< < (2/3) > >>

Prayerful:

--- Quote from: OzarkCatholic on March 28, 2021, 11:30:46 PM ---It's strange that the SSPX continues to use the 1955 Holy Week and 1962 rites for Lent.

--- End quote ---

The SSPX have been strict '62 for a while. There was a time when it was some sort of 1964-66 transitional missal in the seminary, but anything from 1962 to 1951 depending on the District. A process of boundary setting against sedevacantism, where for a while there might have been some sort of ambiguity. In that context, the expulsion of the 'nine' who included Fr Cedaka RIP, Fr now Bp Dolan, and Fr Jenkins, three who went to form the SSPV before they fell out and Frs Cekada and Dolan left the SSPV, which doesn't hold the sacraments of the departed priests in high esteem. Sedeprivationists (roughly JP2 was materially or potentially Pope) and sedevacantists follow the pre-55 Holy Week. So too do a number of FSSP parishes on an experimental basis, while the ICKSP seems to have returned to the pre-55 Holy Week to a greater degree. (The pre-55 is good for me, as I normally use a 1940 St Andrew's missal. I have a 1957 Irish printed and published missal, but never saves page flicking by allowing some repetition in the ordinary for domine non sum dignus, miseratur, etc).

Vincentus Ioannes:
Some sedevacantist clergy use the 1955 Holy Week, e.g. the CMRI.

OzarkCatholic:

--- Quote from: Prayerful on March 30, 2021, 07:49:47 PM ---

The SSPX have been strict '62 for a while. There was a time when it was some sort of 1964-66 transitional missal in the seminary, but anything from 1962 to 1951 depending on the District. A process of boundary setting against sedevacantism, where for a while there might have been some sort of ambiguity. In that context, the expulsion of the 'nine' who included Fr Cedaka RIP, Fr now Bp Dolan, and Fr Jenkins, three who went to form the SSPV before they fell out and Frs Cekada and Dolan left the SSPV, which doesn't hold the sacraments of the departed priests in high esteem. Sedeprivationists (roughly JP2 was materially or potentially Pope) and sedevacantists follow the pre-55 Holy Week. So too do a number of FSSP parishes on an experimental basis, while the ICKSP seems to have returned to the pre-55 Holy Week to a greater degree. (The pre-55 is good for me, as I normally use a 1940 St Andrew's missal. I have a 1957 Irish printed and published missal, but never saves page flicking by allowing some repetition in the ordinary for domine non sum dignus, miseratur, etc).

--- End quote ---

I'm seeing more diocesan priests using the pre-55 holy week now. In St. Louis, the diocesan (not ICRSS, who also use pre-55) Latin Mass Community has been using pre-55 for two years now. It's almost as if those clerics who've "recognized and resisted" within the diocesan system have been able to begin showing their colors, in ways that, ironically, the SSPX is not afforded.

I don't know-I'm rambling. It's just an observation.

ermy_law:
I recall the SSPX had a podcast about Holy Week, and the priest was asked about the pre-1955 Holy Week rites. If I recall correctly, he asserted that the changes were not significant. He also seemed to be unaware of the permissions given to other groups to licitly use the older rites. He was either woefully uninformed or being intentionally disingenuous -- I don't know.

(If you're looking for it, it's the SSPX podcast episode dated August 30, 2019: https://sspxpodcast.com/2019/08/questions-with-fr-21-the-motives-of-judas-and-why-not-the-1955-holy-week/).

EDIT: I'm listening to this again now, and he talks about the problem with the Novus Ordo generally being "inventing" a liturgy to "hide" aspects of the faith. He says those things are not true with regard to the Holy Week changes because there was a "continuity" and not a "complete chucking out" of the Holy Week. He admits here that he's never been to the pre-1955 ceremonies. Having been to both sorts of Holy Week, I disagree with him.

ermy_law:

--- Quote from: OzarkCatholic on April 01, 2021, 10:05:59 AM ---
In St. Louis, the diocesan (not ICRSS, who also use pre-55) Latin Mass Community has been using pre-55 for two years now.
--- End quote ---

I was surprised to see on New Liturgical Movement that the Oratory of Sts. Gregory and Augustine in St. Louis used the pre-1955 since the usual Sunday masses that I've been to there were very much post-1965, including everyone singing the Pater Noster and things of that sort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version