The Parish Hall > Job Postings

Profitable side business/side work?

(1/3) > >>

christulsa:
What are some profitable, smart ways for a working guy to supplement his income?   Side businesses, side work?  Letís say your minimum goal is an extra supplemental $20k a year not working long term many hours beyond your regular job schedule, maybe at first more hours and training.   One idea Iím researching for myself is a website teaching physical therapy continuing education courses, marketing to those states each year where therapists need to finish their bi-annual CEU requirements, but with much higher quality that typical CEUs and at a lower price.  Even uploading a few webinars on most currently relevant clinical topics, and sending out mailers a few times a year would likely be profitable. 

What ideas do you have?   Successes with side businesses or side work? 

Heinrich:
One of my favorite former posters, RBJ "Colt 45," taught English online. I believe one can make anywhere from 20 - 30 dollars an hour.

dellery:
Personally, I like rental properties, but they can be a bit of work if you're not a slum-lord. You manage the people and their needs moreso than the property itself.

Try looking into buying a Little Debbie, Hostess, etc. route. There's good money there too. Pepperidge Farm and other bread companies have routes for sale as well but they aren't as profitable, at least in my neck of the woods.

Daniel:
Wish I knew. I don't even have a job.

I think some people have had success driving for Uber. Some do it full-time, from what I hear. But I don't know... it probably depends on where you live. (I take it your auto-insurance would probably go up by a lot too. And you need to pay for gas, and the mileage on your car. I think it could backfire.)

One thing that does NOT work (at least it didn't work when I tried it) is audio transcription. It's a legitimate job (not a scam), but it's way too time-consuming. (After calculating my pay per hour of work, I found that it was well below minimum wage. Unless your hearing and memory are very good, and you type very fast... and even then, it's still probably less than minimum wage. Medical transcription pays slightly higher, but I doubt it's much better. And you need to be familiar with medical terms and drug names and stuff.)

Another thing that I've tried, that does NOT work, is doing crowdsourced work collecting data for market research. (You go around to stores and use your smartphone to discreetly take photographs of the shelves and what's on the shelves, and sometimes get the UPCs or other information, being careful that nobody sees you.) Problem is, I think if you use a car to drive from place to place then it probably costs more in gas than you're getting paid. On top of that, I question whether it's even legal... these stores are private property, after all. Seems like trespassing, to enter the store and inspect the items, without having any intention of buying anything. (A number of times the management caught me doing it and told me to stop... sometimes they even asked me to leave the store... one shop owner got very upset and told me he was calling the cops. And I completely understand. For all the store manager knows, I might be planning a robbery or something.) It can also be time-consuming depending on what photos/info the client wants you to collect.

dellery:

--- Quote from: Daniel on January 30, 2020, 06:45:23 PM ---Wish I knew. I don't even have a job.

I think some people have had success driving for Uber. Some do it full-time, from what I hear. But I don't know... it probably depends on where you live. (I take it your auto-insurance would probably go up by a lot too. And you need to pay for gas, and the mileage on your car. I think it could backfire.)

One thing that does NOT work (at least it didn't work when I tried it) is audio transcription. It's a legitimate job (not a scam), but it's way too time-consuming. (After calculating my pay per hour of work, I found that it was well below minimum wage. Unless your hearing and memory are very good, and you type very fast... and even then, it's still probably less than minimum wage. Medical transcription pays slightly higher, but I doubt it's much better. And you need to be familiar with medical terms and drug names and stuff.)

Another thing that I've tried, that does NOT work, is doing crowdsourced work collecting data for market research. (You go around to stores and use your smartphone to discreetly take photographs of the shelves and what's on the shelves, and sometimes get the UPCs or other information, being careful that nobody sees you.) Problem is, I think if you use a car to drive from place to place then it probably costs more in gas than you're getting paid. On top of that, I question whether it's even legal... these stores are private property, after all. Seems like trespassing, to enter the store and inspect the items, without having any intention of buying anything. (A number of times the management caught me doing it and told me to stop... sometimes they even asked me to leave the store... one shop owner got very upset and told me he was calling the cops. And I completely understand. For all the store manager knows, I might be planning a robbery or something.) It can also be time-consuming depending on what photos/info the client wants you to collect.

--- End quote ---

Uber and Lyft are decent ways to make some extra income, and don't recall my insurance premiums ever going up because of it.
It's good "bored" work for when you don't have anything else going on, and it's a good way to meet new people as long as they aren't drunks with a history of DUI's --fairly common.
Talking to the drivers, when I use rideshare, doesn't sound like it would be a good full-time job unless you're a retiree or something.

Daniel, if you live in a populated enough are go put an application in with the Laborers or Operating Engineer unions, or look into a driving job with the Teamsters. Most unions charge a refundable $20-$25 application fee.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version