Kindle Self-Publishing?

Started by Kaesekopf, January 11, 2016, 05:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Has anyone done it?  Anyone have good advice on how to do it?  Or what to watch out for?

I'm trying to publish some eBooks that are in the public domain but that aren't already in eBook format.  I've already made a number of them into basic .mobi files for my personal use on the Kindle, but I figure that there's more folks who would like easier to read files out there... 

Thanks!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

I've wondered along the same lines, actually...
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

I haven't actually made the big leap into publishing an ebook on Amazon but I'm really close!

I found this book to be extremely helpful...Notjohn's Guide to Kindle Publishing.

The trickiest thing is making the table of contents, i.e. it should contain hyperlinks.

If you use MS Word, the document becomes very bloated. I use HTML/CSS to format the document. I learned CSS via www.codeacademy.com.

The other thing is the cover, you should have a nice image and overlay text onto it, title, author, etc...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

If you just want to make them available for free, you could always upload them to archive.org.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.