Song at the Scaffold

Started by jovan66102, July 24, 2015, 02:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 26, 2015, 12:57:38 PM
Anybody interested in reading the true and moving story about the Carmelites of Compeign can purchase this book; I read it and it was very good.
http://www.amazon.com/Quell-Terror-Carmelites-Compiegne-Guillotined/dp/0935216677

To Quell the Terror: The Mystery of the Vocation of the Sixteen Carmelites of Compiegne Guillotined July 17, 1794
; Paperback – November 1, 1999
by William Bush (Author)

By William Bush (Professor Emeritus of French Literature at the University of Western Ontario). Recounts the dramatic true story of the Discalced Carmelite nuns of Compiegne, martyred during the French Revolution's 'Great Terror' and known to the world through their fictional representation in Gertrud von Le Fort's Song at the Scaffold and Francis Poulenc's Dialogues of the Carmelites. Includes index and 15 photos. At the height of the French Revolution's 'Great Terror' a community of sixteen Carmelite nuns from Compiegne offered their lives to restore peace to the church and to France. Ten days after their deaths by the guillotine, Robespierre fell, and with his exectuion on the same scaffold the Reign of Terror effectively ended. Had God thus accepted and used the Carmelites' generous self-gift? Through Gertrud von Le Fort's modern novella, Song at the Scaffold, and Francis Poulenc's famed opera, Dialogues of the Carmelites, (with its libretto by Georges Bernanos), modern audiences around the world have become captivated by the mysterious destiny of these Compiegne martyrs, Blessed Teresa of St. Augustine and her companions. Now, for the first time in English, William Bush explores at length the facts behind the fictional representations, and reflects on their spiritual significance. Based on years of research, this book recounts in lively detail virtually all that is known of the life and background of each of the martyrs, as well as the troubled times in which they lived. The Compiegne Carmelites, sustained by their remarkable prioress, emerge as distinct individuals, struggling as Christians to understand and respond to an awesome calling, relying not on their own strength but on the mercy of God and the guiding hand of Providence.

Both this book and The Guillotine and the Cross are on my wishlist. :)
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on July 24, 2015, 05:13:14 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on July 24, 2015, 09:52:06 AM
SUCH a good book! I read it about six years ago, and remembered it ever since. :)

Edit: TAN Books has an ebook edition for $4.98: https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/martyrs/song-at-the-scaffold.html

It seems like every time you post I'm whipping out my wallet to buy a book.

I don't know whether to thank you or scold you  ;D

:toth:
My Lord and my God.

jovan66102

Anybody interested in reading the true and moving story about the Carmelites of Compeign can purchase this book; I read it and it was very good.
http://www.amazon.com/Quell-Terror-Carmelites-Compiegne-Guillotined/dp/0935216677

To Quell the Terror: The Mystery of the Vocation of the Sixteen Carmelites of Compiegne Guillotined July 17, 1794
by William Bush (Author)

I received it today. I was quite disappointed to find that it was written by an Eastern heretic/schismatic. Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have ordered it, but, having done so, I've started reading it.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Michael Wilson

Quote from: jovan66102 on July 28, 2015, 10:02:07 PM

by William Bush (Author)

I received it today. I was quite disappointed to find that it was written by an Eastern heretic/schismatic. Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have ordered it, but, having done so, I've started reading it.
I'm sorry I totally forgot that fact. I tell you though that the little bit that he injects about his own views, which is very little does not at all take away from the scholarly work he has done, and the great respect he shows for these saints.  I would characterize him as an "ecumenical" orthodox type.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

jovan66102

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 29, 2015, 08:30:39 AM
I'm sorry I totally forgot that fact. I tell you though that the little bit that he injects about his own views, which is very little does not at all take away from the scholarly work he has done, and the great respect he shows for these saints.  I would characterize him as an "ecumenical" orthodox type.

Sorry I jumped you! :) I'm a bit over half way through, and I haven't noticed any problems. It would have been a large mistake not to buy it. Thanks again for telling me about it! :)

"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux

jovan66102

And I stayed up to finish it (I'm a fast reader!). Thank you, again, for bringing it to my attention!

Michael Wilson

Quote from: jovan66102 on July 31, 2015, 03:30:00 AM
And I stayed up to finish it (I'm a fast reader!). Thank you, again, for bringing it to my attention!
Jovan,
I'm really happy that you liked the book; I was afraid you would think it was a dud.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers