Hello, new member here

Started by carmina laetitiae, August 25, 2018, 10:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carmina laetitiae

What brings you to SD? My husband and I are converts to the Church (as of Easter Vigil 2017) and attend an NO parish. We both increasingly lean toward traditional teachings of Catholicism but find ourselves in the minority where we live. While we are lucky to attend a parish where the NO is celebrated reverently (our new pastor does Mass ad orientem and more and more women are veiling), we struggle with the overall Protestant "feel." Once we understood the reasons why, we started receiving on the tongue, and we've strongly wanted to do so while kneeling but fear it would be taken as an ostentatious display of a "holier-than-thou" attitude toward cradle Catholics at our parish. We were able to attend a Latin Mass in Detroit back in June and since then, have spiritually hungered for more. Unfortunately, the nearest one is 2 hours away. We are hoping to start attending at least once a month. In the mean time, this forum seems like a great outlet for connecting with others and learning more about a less "soft" Catholicism.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)? I was on r/Catholicism for a while but became disturbed by the irrational hatred of the Latin language there, as well as how hateful my own behavior had become while posting regularly.

Why did you choose your username and avatar? My username is from a Christmas carol called "Gaudete" that I discovered when considering conversion. [yt][/yt]

My avatar is of St. Brigid of Kildare, the first saint I felt an affinity for.

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning? Happily married

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!) middle of the US - NOT Texas

Personality type? I don't know.

Favorite books? "The Brothers Karamazov" and "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoevskij and "Inferno" by Dante although I have gotten lazy and mainly read textbooks now.

Favorite movies? Hard to say as I haven't seen too many movies since I became Catholic. I gradually abandoned a lot of my former favorites because they were definitely not OK to continue watching and I haven't found any replacements. Recommendations would be appreciated!

Favorite TV shows? Same issue as above - used to be a huge Star Trek and Farscape fan but I don't really think those shows are compatible with how I should be living, especially not the newest Star Trek, which I've not heard anything good about.

Favorite sports/teams Never been a big fan of sports but I can appreciate ice hockey and am biased in favor of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Have any hobbies? Reading about traditional Catholic morality, cooking, and doing lab work when it doesn't involve dealing with ammonium hydroxide.

Pet peeves: Writing this much about myself! I'm going to blame the coffee and the fact that my 8 month old is taking a reaaaaally long nap right now.

Fun random fact about yourself: I am a goofy person but I don't think I do much that would be considered fun.

mikemac

Welcome.  Formed has some good Catholic content.  The content is not all traditional but a lot of it is good.  You can pick and choose.  Some diocese pay for the membership for their members so your diocese may be able to give you their code to use on the site to get it free.  That is how I know about it.  Besides that there is some content on the site you can watch without paying or using a diocesan code.

https://formed.org/

Enjoy the forum.   
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

PerEvangelicaDicta

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

carmina laetitiae

Thanks, all. mikemac, I will definitely check it out, much appreciated!

mikemac

Quote from: carmina laetitiae on August 25, 2018, 06:58:42 PM
Thanks, all. mikemac, I will definitely check it out, much appreciated!

Looking at it today it may not have any free content anymore.  It use to.  You can get the jist of what's there anyway.  If your diocese doesn't have a code for it you might want to recommend it to them. 
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

Maximilian

Quote from: carmina laetitiae on August 25, 2018, 10:00:13 AM

Why did you choose your username and avatar?
My username is from a Christmas carol called "Gaudete" that I discovered when considering conversion.

This version is one of only 2 songs entirely in Latin to make the pop charts.
It's also one of the few entirely a capella songs to chart.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Prayerful

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the Forum; Welcome to the Church! I hope you like it here.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Kephapaulos

carmina laetitiae

Quote from: Maximilian on August 25, 2018, 10:08:02 PM
Nice! What was the other one?

And thanks, everyone. Glad to be here!

Maximilian

Quote from: carmina laetitiae on August 27, 2018, 12:12:46 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on August 25, 2018, 10:08:02 PM
Nice! What was the other one?

This was actually written by Andrew Lloyd Webber as part of a Requiem Mass for his father.

mikemac

Nice.

I actually prefer the "Gaudete" version with the drums that carmina laetitiae posted, although it wouldn't be suitable at Mass.

Source