Do you have Cable?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 10:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

The "cable" I have doesn't even give me ESPN or a sports channel. I also don't receive the channels in the 40s, like TBS, TNT, and so on. I really pay for Internet and have "cable" tacked on.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Ancilla Domini

I have cable internet and phone. I didn't want TV, but for some reason, it sort of works. The only channels I can pick up are Telemundo and Univision, but that's fine with me!  :)

kayla_veronica

It is so not worth the money. I think it would be if you could go al-a-carte style with your channels. Netflix has most TV shows, though you have to wait a while after they are on TV to watch them.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Hormisdas

No cable.  No satellite.  No television.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, Vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Quapropter potius animam curare memento, quam carnem, quoniam haec manet, illa perit.

Heinrich

I can't afford it. I have too many bills. Plus, most of the stuff on tv is garbage(we know this). I do like to purchase series from Amazon Prime. I do miss being able to watch football. I do not miss the 24 hour news cycle. I know of people who are obsessed with the 24news channels, especially Fox News. Nein, danke.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

MilesChristi

Quote from: Heinrich on December 30, 2012, 08:23:38 AM
I can't afford it. I have too many bills. Plus, most of the stuff on tv is garbage(we know this). I do like to purchase series from Amazon Prime. I do miss being able to watch football. I do not miss the 24 hour news cycle. I know of people who are obsessed with the 24news channels, especially Fox News. Nein, danke.

Isnt most football on broadcast tv?
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Heinrich

Yeah, but I don't have 'TV' either. We have a TV that is used as a monitor, but there is no antenna to watch broadcast.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

LouisIX

The wife and I got rid of cable several months back.  It was originally a financial decision, but I think it's been spiritually beneficial as well. 

And we really rarely miss it.  In the age of Netflix and Hulu, you can continue to watch the shows that you like without all of the garbage.  Plus it's much, much cheaper.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LouisIX on December 30, 2012, 02:39:52 PM
The wife and I got rid of cable several months back.  It was originally a financial decision, but I think it's been spiritually beneficial as well. 

And we really rarely miss it.  In the age of Netflix and Hulu, you can continue to watch the shows that you like without all of the garbage.  Plus it's much, much cheaper.

This is the exact argument I made with my parents a year ago.  I told them about Netflix's instant streaming and it's cheap cost (they had Netflix until they split the subscribing packages) and compared it to the $60 cable package.  They kinda got suckered into the cable because it was bundled into the Internet, but I was like "it's still $60 cheaper... which is what $720 a year?  Not small change.  Plus you never use it!"

So they dropped it and just watch broadcast and Netflix.  Which is good enough for them.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

stmykearchangel

We got rid of cable about a year and a half a ago and don't miss it to much, maybe, football. If we want entertained we watch movies via Netflix or amazon video via my Xbox.
The character of Kings is sacred; their persons are inviolable; they are the anointed of the Lord, if not with sacred oil, at least by virtue of their office. Their power is broad---based upon the Will of God, and not on the shifting sands of the people's will...They will be spoken of with becoming reverence, instead of being in public estimation fitting butts for all foul tongues. It becomes a sacrilege to violate their persons, and every indignity offered to them in word or act, becomes an indignity offered to God Himself. It is this view of Kingly rule that alone can keep alive in a scoffing and licentious age the spirit of ancient loyalty, that spirit begotten of faith, combining in itself obedience, reverence, and love for the majesty of kings which was at once a bond of social union, an incentive to noble daring, and a salt to purify the heart from its grosser tendencies, preserving it from all that is mean, selfish, and contemptible. (P.J. Joyce, John Healy, pp. 68-69).

LouisIX

Quote from: stmykearchangel on December 30, 2012, 08:22:12 PM
We got rid of cable about a year and a half a ago and don't miss it to much, maybe, football. If we want entertained we watch movies via Netflix or amazon video via my Xbox.

We purchased the NFL Sunday Ticket for our computer and mobile devices.  It's expensive but still less expensive bundled with Hulu Plus and Netflix than cable.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Southern Ascetic

Why would anyone want to pay for government propaganda and mind control?

Genevieve

We got rid of cable about 2 years ago and don't miss it at all. We have a Roku attached to our TV but don't use it very often. My DH is a big baseball fan and he buys an annual subscription that allows him to watch all the non-blacked out games on his computer or our Roku. Luckily for DH he's a fan of a non-local team so his team is rarely blacked out. I'm not sure this would work well for him if he liked the local team though.

Even without cable, I still think we let DD watch too much TV. We have a handful of DVDs for her and it's sometimes too easy to turn on a DVD so I start dinner. In fact, I'm cooking dinner right now and DD is watching a Thomas DVD. But at least with DVDs, DD isn't inundated with commercials for garbage food and trashy Chinese toys.

inprincipio

We got rid of cable years ago and all the televisions except the one that has the DVD and VHS.  It is a complete waste of time and money and the quiet and peace in the house are priceless!

Bernadette

I live with my aunt and uncle (in the uncle's converted workshop), and they have digital. I don't have a box out here, but I still get the history channel, discovery channel, and A&E, which are the only channels that I watch. Everything else I watch online, either on the network websites (PBS ;)) or Netflix and Youtube. I wish that we could cut out the cable (for the sake of the bill, if for nothing else), but somehow I don't see it happening. Though we have gradually phased out all of the movie channels in favor of Netflix streaming. :)
My Lord and my God.