"missing" Prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel

Started by andy, May 11, 2022, 05:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

In 1886, Pope Leo XIII added a Prayer to Saint Michael (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_to_Saint_Michael#The_1890_prayer_to_Saint_Michael) to the Leonine Prayers, which he had directed to be prayed after Low Mass two years earlier.

However, I cannot find it my 2 different Missals (FSSPX and other non English) as well as St Andrew Missal I briefly checked at the bookstore. It is kind of surprising that the prayer was at some point mandatory.

I wonder if this prayer is practiced in other traditional circles?

Acolyte

Iirc that one was for Bishops and exorcists.

Edit: The article on Wikipedia mentions that.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

mikemac

Pope Leo XIII didn't add a prayer to the Leonine Prayers.  He started to have the Leonine Prayers said after each Low Mass and Missa cantata.  They are not said after a High Mass.  They are called Leonine Prayers in his name.  The Saint Michael prayer was originally longer than what most of us are use to now.  The Leonine Prayers usually starts off with 3 Hail Mary's, the Hail Holy Queen, St Michael the Archangel prayer and a short Litany.  Some priests may add other prayers like the St. Joseph Terror of demons prayer.  Pope Leo XIII added the Leonine Prayers because of the conversation between God and the devil that he heard.   
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Goldfinch

The longer prayer was simply an exorcism that was included in the Roman Ritual.

It is not directly related to the Leonine prayers after mass.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great

andy

Thanks for comments. I kind of assume it is not widely used.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Acolyte on May 11, 2022, 05:53:58 PM

One of the St Michael prayers was eventually not permitted for laity to use.  I don't recall which one it is, but that's very important to remember. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Miriam_M

We already had a thread on this topic, fairly recently -- a few months ago.

andy

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 12, 2022, 12:16:09 AM
Quote from: Acolyte on May 11, 2022, 05:53:58 PM

One of the St Michael prayers was eventually not permitted for laity to use.  I don't recall which one it is, but that's very important to remember.

You said I write crappy comments. Now read twice what you wrote above. LOL. In any case, thanks for the information - I went thru https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=27513.165;topicseen . It is sad to witness priests to value obedience over Faith.

My main question is though, why the Saint Michael the Archangel  prayer (the shorter version meant for the faithful without minor exorcism) is not present in Traditional Missals though.

Forgot to mention, in SSPX church I attend, the prayer is actually used. So out of a pure convenience, I wish it was included in the Missal.

josh987654321

Quote from: andy on May 11, 2022, 10:25:27 PM

Sad, because it would be great if it was IMO.

God Bless
"I will not delude you with prospects of peace and consolations; on the contrary, prepare for great battles. Know that you are now on a great stage where all heaven and earth are watching you. Fight like a knight, so that I can reward you. Do not be unduly fearful, because you are not alone." (Diary, 1760)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)

"I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

Jayne

Quote from: andy on May 12, 2022, 07:24:04 AM
My main question is though, why the Saint Michael the Archangel  prayer (the shorter version meant for the faithful without minor exorcism) is not present in Traditional Missals though.

Forgot to mention, in SSPX church I attend, the prayer is actually used. So out of a pure convenience, I wish it was included in the Missal.

The 1886 prayer is in my Angelus Press (SSPX) Missal at the top of page 923.  It is also in the Baronius (FFSP) Missal on page 975.

The Angelus Press book Christian Warfare has this prayer as well as the longer 1890 exorcism. It says nothing about it being reserved to those authorized to do exorcisms.  Rather it quotes the Secretary of the Congregation for the Propagation of Faith saying "The Holy Father exhorts all to say this prayer as often as possible..."

Quote from: josh987654321 on May 12, 2022, 07:48:30 AM
Quote from: andy on May 11, 2022, 10:25:27 PM

Sad, because it would be great if it was IMO.

God Bless

In my experience it is very widely used.  Certainly, that is the normal practice at SSPX Masses after Low Masses.  It is omitted at High Mass just as it always was.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

If people are having trouble finding it in their missals, they can use a prayer card.  These are easy to find, since it is a very popular prayer.  For example, a forum member sells this one:  https://www.zazzle.com/st_michael_the_archangel_prayer_holy_card-240952462309521568

Acolyte

My current parish prays the short version after every Mass. Even the two weekday ones. Dominican rosary before the noon weekday Mass as well.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Jayne

Quote from: Acolyte on May 12, 2022, 08:09:46 PM
My current parish prays the short version after every Mass. Even the two weekday ones. Dominican rosary before the noon weekday Mass as well.

I'm not surprised.  I think it is more unusual for the St. Michael Prayer to be omitted. 

I think I recall seeing this prayer left out at a diocesan TLM but it was a long time ago so I am not sure.

mikemac

Paul VI suppressed the obligation to pray the Leonine prayers by the September 26, 1964 Instruction Inter oecumenici. However, after the promulgation of the Novus Ordo the priests who were faithful to the Latin Mass never stopped to pray the Leonine Prayers.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source