Author Topic: Memories  (Read 1309 times)

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Declina a malo & Fac bonum
Memories
« on: January 19, 2022, 01:16:04 AM »
This thread was about explaining how a disabling medical condition does and does not affect me, so people who doubted I had a severe medical condition can find reasons to stop calling me a liar. It is not about me otherwise, and I suggest that forum users make other threads for more interesting topics than my person.

The person who accused me falsely of lying about this matter and all those who thanked his accusation were active today, but silent on this matter, so I see how pointless it was to explain.

I am fully aware of the evil of lying and all here should be as well. I have not lied and the accusations of the ignorant and malicious do not concern me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:16:43 PM by Pæniteo »
In all thy works remember thy last end, and thou shalt never sin. Ecclesiasticus 7:40

O ye sons of men, how long will you be dull of heart? why do you love vanity, and seek after lying? Psalms 4:3

But the end of all is at hand. Be prudent therefore, and watch in prayers. But before all things have a constant mutual charity among yourselves: for charity covereth a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:7-8

If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to that doctrine which is according to godliness, He is proud, knowing nothing, but sick about questions and strifes of words; from which arise envies, contentions, blasphemies, evil suspicions, Conflicts of men corrupted in mind, and who are destitute of the truth, supposing gain to be godliness. But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into this world: and certainly we can carry nothing out. But having food, and wherewith to be covered, with these we are content. For they that will become rich, fall into temptation, and into the snare of the devil, and into many unprofitable and hurtful desires, which drown men into destruction and perdition.  For the desire of money is the root of all evils; which some coveting have erred from the faith, and have entangled themselves in many sorrows. 1 Timonthy 6:3-10

The following users thanked this post: Jayne

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
Short Term Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 01:21:22 AM »
This contained an explanation of why confessions could be difficult, but I rarely ever confess lying and I aim to never have to. I recommend all to speak only the truth.

Quote from: John 4:24
God is a spirit; and they that adore him, must adore him in spirit and in truth.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:14:08 PM by Pæniteo »
In all thy works remember thy last end, and thou shalt never sin. Ecclesiasticus 7:40

O ye sons of men, how long will you be dull of heart? why do you love vanity, and seek after lying? Psalms 4:3

But the end of all is at hand. Be prudent therefore, and watch in prayers. But before all things have a constant mutual charity among yourselves: for charity covereth a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:7-8

If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to that doctrine which is according to godliness, He is proud, knowing nothing, but sick about questions and strifes of words; from which arise envies, contentions, blasphemies, evil suspicions, Conflicts of men corrupted in mind, and who are destitute of the truth, supposing gain to be godliness. But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into this world: and certainly we can carry nothing out. But having food, and wherewith to be covered, with these we are content. For they that will become rich, fall into temptation, and into the snare of the devil, and into many unprofitable and hurtful desires, which drown men into destruction and perdition.  For the desire of money is the root of all evils; which some coveting have erred from the faith, and have entangled themselves in many sorrows. 1 Timonthy 6:3-10

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Short Term Problems
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 09:14:58 AM »
Forum use is far more agreeable to me, because I do not have to worry about not ending sentences I started, forgetting what I was talking about, forgetting what another is talking about (if you talk to me in person, put the important stuff first and reinforce it, because long rambling stories are impossible to follow, especially if you use a lot of pronouns). And if I get interrupted, we might as well start over, because short term memory issues probably looks like intense constant distraction to others, but an actual distraction can really make any hope of remembering what was going on at the moment disappear.

I wonder if all those people who have judged you for "posting too much"  would have refrained if they had realized just how much easier it is for you to interact with people online than on person. 

It is not unusual for people with disabilities of various kinds to end up as high volume posters in online communities.  In my experience, forum members are normally supportive in situations like that.  It does not speak well of Suscipe Domine that you have encountered so much hostility, judgmentalism and false accusation here.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 09:54:42 AM »
I can empathize. I'm suffering some cognitive difficulties myself, though not to the extent that you are.
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline Severinus

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 10:04:39 AM »
You seem like a good man to me. I too have a bad memory for things like penances, names, and anniversaries, so I can relate to that, although my issue is evidently to a lesser degree.

The way you think and communicate, combined with your sort of unrelenting manner, can frustrate the neurotypical majority in some specific ways. That just is what it is, and I'm sure you've realized it by this point in your life.

Personally, I've found that strong emotion is important for motivation, thought, creativity, social bonding, and even for epistemology and morals. This is not to say that one can't have another way of navigating those things, but just to respond very briefly to some criticism I've seen you levy in some other contexts.

The following users thanked this post: Miriam_M

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 10:37:04 AM »
I wonder if all those people who have judged you for "posting too much"  would have refrained if they had realized just how much easier it is for you to interact with people online than on person. 
That is not really commentary on me, but on the forum. They got used to it being very slow and forgot everybody can make new threads. None of my threads buried any active discussions. That is what flooding a forum usually means: it is behaviour that interferes with other forum activity due to its volume. But I never interfered with anything. It is like people wanted boards that had old inactive threads on it on the front page.

It is a discussion forum...people discuss on it. It is not "flooding" the forum to post in boards that don't get any new threads for days or even longer a few times. This forum is starved for topics of discussion.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:14:52 PM by Pæniteo »

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 10:39:03 AM »
The way you think and communicate, combined with your sort of unrelenting manner, can frustrate the neurotypical majority in some specific ways.

I get a lot of commentary on me personally and it is "unrelenting". People will overlook blasphemies, lies, false accusations, etc, to say my "tone" is not perfect or some such meaningless observation. That is not a neurotypical behaviour.

I don't lie, and I don't expect to be accused of lying or have people lie to me. I don't use abusive language, and I don't expect others to use abusive language in their interactions with me. I am Catholic and I don't expect others to accuse me of being otherwise. All that needs to be fixed first. People can be as direct or indirect as they want, as long as it is moral.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:54:58 AM by Pæniteo »

Offline ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • LET'S GO BRANDON!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 10:48:05 AM »
neurotypical

I'm sure you didn't do this on purpose, but don't normalize the language of the enemy.

"Neurotypical" is in the same vein as "cishet" or "heteronormative".
this page left intentionally blank

The following users thanked this post: queen.saints

Offline Severinus

• Hellebardier
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 10:54:45 AM »
The way you think and communicate, combined with your sort of unrelenting manner, can frustrate the neurotypical majority in some specific ways.

I get a lot of commentary on me personally and it is "unrelenting". People will overlook blasphemies, lies, false accusations, etc, to say my "tone" is not perfect or some such meaningless observation.

You were active on the thread where I was being accused of lying and other things, yet, you did not respond to me or those accusations, but you comment here about "neurotypicals" being frustrated. What does that have to do with anything? That is not what this thread was about. I'm human like any other and being asked to be more sensitive than others are when they interact with me is ridiculous. I don't lie, and I don't expect to be accused of lying or have people lie to me. I don't use abusive language, and I don't expect others to use abusive language in their interactions with me. I am Catholic and I don't expect others to accuse me of being otherwise. All that needs to be fixed first. People can be as direct or indirect as they want, as long as it is moral.

Like I said, you seem like a good man to me. That's my way of addressing some things I've seen on other threads. I'm going to leave this alone now.

Offline Severinus

• Hellebardier
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 10:55:59 AM »
neurotypical

I'm sure you didn't do this on purpose, but don't normalize the language of the enemy.

I think it's not comparable to those terms and is fine in this context.

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 10:59:32 AM »

It is fine for the contexts I've seen it used, but maybe it is used in other contexts too. I don't know.

But this thread was about explaining some basics of a disabling condition, and I took it to mean people who do not have the same medical problems I have.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:15:13 PM by Pæniteo »

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • LET'S GO BRANDON!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 11:08:49 AM »
neurotypical

It's absolutely comparable because it's the exact same sort of ontological attack on the ideal.

It's a futile word-dance intended to avoid saying "normal" because (gasp) that might offend people who have their offense meter's sensitivity set too high.

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 11:11:23 AM »
It's absolutely comparable because it's the exact same sort of ontological attack on the ideal.
Neurotypical is not "ideal".

It's a futile word-dance intended to avoid saying "normal" because (gasp) that might offend people who have their offense meter's sensitivity set too high.

I don't know the origin of the word, but if you had Autism or other developmental conditions, you might find that the "normal person" is a source of great suffering sometimes and having terminology to help people understand might be useful.

It is for the benefit of normal people, who tend to forget that humans who are a little different from them are also human.

A familiar person experiencing intense pain or suffering gets empathy. An autistic person experiencing intense pain or suffering gets mockery.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:27:34 PM by Pæniteo »

Offline Severinus

• Hellebardier
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 11:13:22 AM »
Well, now I don't know if I'm being too accommodating and sensitive to a neurodivergent man, or not accomodating and sensitive enough. Trads are difficult to please.

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Christina_S

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • LET'S GO BRANDON!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 11:13:47 AM »
I don't know the origin of the word, but if you had Autism or other development conditions, you might find that the "normal person" is a source of great suffering sometimes and having terminology to help people understand might be useful.

It is for the benefit of normal people, who tend to forget that humans who are a little different from them are also human.

A familiar person experiencing intense pain or suffering gets empathy. An autistic person experiencing intense pain or suffering gets mockery.

Should we stop saying "normal" to refer to non-alcoholics?  Perhaps call them "dipsotypical"?

Does this apply to all medical conditions?  Is it offensive to say "normotensive" to refer to a person who doesn't have high blood pressure?