COVID life in your area

Started by Kaesekopf, January 17, 2022, 04:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: GaudeMariaVirgo on January 18, 2022, 04:15:11 PM
Another thing that's not getting touched on here is the cost of living increases across the board, largely as a direct result of COVID policy.

In the US it may be blamed on covid by the media and pols, but I have read the whole container snafu in CA is due to CA's nuts energy policies and the truckers.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

james03

QuoteDo I remember, or do I know how to read and use a computer?

To use the computer to search, you have to remember what you are looking for.  That level of functionality means you can remember sins in a confessional.

I don't trust you.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: james03 on January 18, 2022, 05:57:05 PM

To use the computer to search, you have to remember what you are looking for.  That level of functionality means you can remember sins in a confessional.

I don't trust you.
I'd be happy to explain some of my observations and limitations and tricks I've learned living with my medical condition, but since you are more interested in making false accusations and lying and thinking you know all there is to know, I do not see the point.

I have always claimed orthodoxy and traditional Catholicism, and I never deviated from it, yet, you accuse me of lying.

I don't know what there is to do but speak the truth and that is what I have done.

I am not your spiritual director or psychologist and I won't pretend to know more about you than I could possibly know, but I do know that there is no purpose in interacting with you. If you kept your commentary on me to a minimum that would be appreciated, but I hope I do not waste any more time on dealing with you.

Heinrich

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 18, 2022, 06:13:50 PM

I don't trust you.
I'd be happy to explain some of my observations and limitations and tricks I've learned living with my medical condition, but since you are more interested in making false accusations and lying and thinking you know all there is to know, I do not see the point.

I have always claimed orthodoxy and traditional Catholicism, and I never deviated from it, yet, you accuse me of lying.

I don't know what there is to do but speak the truth and that is what I have done.

I am not your spiritual director or psychologist and I won't pretend to know more about you than I could possibly know, but I do know that there is no purpose in interacting with you. If you kept your commentary on me to a minimum that would be appreciated, but I hope I do not waste any more time on dealing with you.

You used to be an anarcho capitalist and vegan.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Heinrich on January 18, 2022, 06:32:08 PM
You used to be an anarcho capitalist
I don't know exactly what I might have expressed, but I do not associate myself with any political or economic system anymore. I think I completely dissociated from any political ideology over a decade ago, but I was never that much into politics. The kingdoms of this world are not my concern.

When I was young, I did think about such things and professed idealism typical of the young and inexperienced.

and vegan.
I don't consume anything from animals still.

The Curt Jester

I don't trust you.

Having spent quite a bit of time chatting with Paeniteo, it's quite obvious to me that he does, indeed, have memory problems.  Keeping up such a ruse would be nigh impossible.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

mikemac

Omicron has peaked in our health unit.  Down about 200 active cases in the past two days to 820 today.  A couple reports have speculated that the end of the omicron wave may be the end of the pandemic.  Omicron peaked in South Africa a couple of weeks ago.  Reports are saying it has peaked in the UK.  Ford is saying some of the restrictions can be lifted when we are sure omicron has peaked in Ontario.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

andy

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 18, 2022, 11:14:35 AM
While we are on the subject, is wearing a mask of any sort a grave moral evil?

In Church: yes. Otherwise: stupid.

TerrorDæmonum

Maybe people on this forum need a reminder that moral judgements don't come from sentiment, political stances, or personal whims.

King Wenceslas

QuoteWearing a mask is at least remote cooperation with evil, and in that sense wearing a mask is always intrinsically evil, without being per se sinful.

The craziest statement I have ever read here on SD. The fallen nature of man on display.

Jayne

Quote from: queen.saints on January 18, 2022, 04:50:30 PM
Everyone was polite and kind to you regarding your parents' death. Who was rude to you about that? When has anyone in the history of the forum been rude to someone specifically regarding the death of a family member, especially a recent death?

If I had been using my parents' deaths to misinterpret others' posts, demand sympathy and apologies, and talk about who I wanted to slap, I hope that I would have gotten some push back.  Being in mourning is not a free pass for behaviour that would otherwise be unacceptable.  (Maybe it is in your culture, but that is not how I see it.) 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Severinus

Quote from: Jayne on January 19, 2022, 06:17:56 AM
Everyone was polite and kind to you regarding your parents' death. Who was rude to you about that? When has anyone in the history of the forum been rude to someone specifically regarding the death of a family member, especially a recent death?

If I had been using my parents' deaths to misinterpret others' posts, demand sympathy and apologies, and talk about who I wanted to slap, I hope that I would have gotten some push back.  Being in mourning is not a free pass for behaviour that would otherwise be unacceptable.  (Maybe it is in your culture, but that is not how I see it.)

Did the hospital prevent you from seeing them as they died? Did your neighbors ostracize you afterwards? Some of those people deserve a lot more than a good slap. Let's not get into people who agree with them.

Severinus

Quote from: Jayne on January 18, 2022, 05:16:19 PM
Quote from: GaudeMariaVirgo on January 18, 2022, 04:52:12 PM
I'm truly sorry for your losses, Diaduit, Jayne, and Miriam. And also the suffering that you've been going through, FaithByProxy. These are very hard times and I hope the madness stops soon. The situations that Diaduit, Miriam & FbP described with their family members are horrifying and abusive, and should never happen to anybody in a sane culture. I don't think the OP was meant to be insensitive but it's clear that this societal madness is causing great harm and suffering to a lot of innocent people.

It is hard for everybody, the vaccinated, the unvaccinated, the "heroes against tyranny," the "compliers with government authority".  Normal life has been disrupted for just about all of us, whatever positions we take on these issues.  We are all seeing loved ones and acquaintances sick, dying, losing jobs, stressed, and depressed.  Many of us have been sick ourselves and facing these hardships. Most of us have to deal with family who disagree with our decisions around this.  Almost everyone is suffering from this in some way.

People are not usually posting to this forum seeking to comfort and be comforted in the face of suffering.  Nobody said anything about that being boring and nobody would.   What's boring is the endless repetitive polarized arguing.  It is not insensitive to ask what the point of it is.

If we came together as a community and supported each other, that would be a far better response to suffering than two years of useless bickering.  There is nothing insensitive about saying that.

I would like to thank this post for the attempt at fellow-feeling, but the glaring failure to distinguish between damage caused by the virus and damage caused by collective hypochondria and ill-considered policies makes the appeal to togetherness seem underhanded and inauthentic to me. Sorry, you are on the wrong side of a very serious issue and there's no getting around that.

Jayne

Quote from: Severinus on January 19, 2022, 07:37:29 AM
Quote from: Jayne on January 19, 2022, 06:17:56 AM

Did the hospital prevent you from seeing them as they died? Did your neighbors ostracize you afterwards? Some of those people deserve a lot more than a good slap. Let's not get into people who agree with them.

A close friend of mine lost both her parents to Covid recently and she could not be with them.  It was very sad, of course, but she understood the reasons for this did not treat it like some sort of plot against her. If I were diaduit's neighbour I would not want to be around her either.  She does not seem to have any concern about spreading illness to others.  People have a right  to protect their health. 

She actually included the forum owner, the person who makes it possible for her to post here, in those she wants to slap, merely for daring to question why people post about Covid so much around here.  She also claimed he said things that he did not say.

Quote from: Severinus on January 19, 2022, 07:43:36 AMSorry, you are on the wrong side of a very serious issue and there's no getting around that.

People's insistence on making this be about "sides" is one of the most serious problems involved.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.