LOTR on 4 K for new years

Started by bilbobaggins, January 02, 2022, 04:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bilbobaggins

I will be watching LOTR extended on 4 K this new years for the first time. My oldest son is coming home and staying the weekend and me, the wife, and our four kids will be eating pizza, chips, soda, candy, and other delicious type food while watching FOTR on our new 4 k tv tonight. Tomorrow, it will be more of the same. i think hotdogs baked beans chips etc while watching the two towers. My kids are not nearly as excited as i am but i have already told them they have no choice in the matter, same goes for my wife.

If i really push my luck on Sunday we will watch ROTK.

bilbobaggins

So we just finished TT and I have to say I can never watch LOTR on anything but 4 k from here on out. It just won't be the same. I love it and recommend it to anyone.

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Melkor

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

TerrorDæmonum

If any work of fiction and fantasy could have an official approval of the Church, it would be The Lord of the Rings, and the now classic film adaptation of it.

As for pixels, the number does not matter as much as density. More pixels isn't always better. A TV with better dynamic range is far superior to just more pixels. It could be the TV in question is better for other reasons than its resolution.

bilbobaggins

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 02, 2022, 05:28:18 PM
What in the world is 4k?

It is an upgrade over blue ray, which was an upgrade over DVD. Just a better mor clear picture. But it was very well done.

Kaesekopf

Username checks out [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: bilbobaggins on January 03, 2022, 09:28:26 AM
It is an upgrade over blue ray, which was an upgrade over DVD. Just a better mor clear picture. But it was very well done.

It is more complicated than that.

Blu-ray (BD) is a storage format, just like DVD and CD. There are different extensions of each. Ultra HD Blu-ray are the "4k" discs, but they are still Blu-ray.

The Ultra HD Blu-ray format does allow for higher resolution content and different bitrates (there are more than one option for that).

4K UHD resolutions, which are 3840 × 2160 pixels, are not necessarily better or have any clearer picture. It just means more pixels in itself. The number of pixels does not matter that much, as the key element is to ensure that individual pixels are not visible to the eye. Any more pixels don't really have an impact on the picture. What likely makes the most impact is that the discs can hold content with more dynamic range and better colour information. This would, on a compatible player, compatible cable, and compatible display, allow for an improved picture, even without more pixels.

Regular HD with the same improved dynamic range and colour gamut potential would look just as good in most circumstances and viewing distances.

Christina_S

Sounds like an amazing time, bilbo!  :cheeseheadbeer:

DH is reading the trilogy aloud to us, having finished The Hobbit last month. We plan to watch the movies afterwards in a big weekend marathon. He's never seen the third part of The Hobbit, but he's not sure if he wants to be exposed to that monstrosity...
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

bilbobaggins

Quote from: Christina_S on January 04, 2022, 08:01:49 AM
Sounds like an amazing time, bilbo!  :cheeseheadbeer:

DH is reading the trilogy aloud to us, having finished The Hobbit last month. We plan to watch the movies afterwards in a big weekend marathon. He's never seen the third part of The Hobbit, but he's not sure if he wants to be exposed to that monstrosity...

That's great, but to be honest I must say the hobbit movies were horrible IMO.

Melkor

From the perspective of the written Tolkien mythos, yes they are terrible. If you take them as they are they are ok.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Melkor on January 05, 2022, 08:45:13 PM
From the perspective of the written Tolkien mythos, yes they are terrible. If you take them as they are they are ok.

The main issue is the length. If they cut it down into one movie, removed the fluff, trimmed the scenes that went on too long, I think there is a pretty good single movie.

But to stretch it out over a trilogy while having mediocre digital compositing and effects really makes it bad.

It is more of a kids story anyway, and the narrator is not reliable, so they have some flexibility with it, but they just invited comparison to the Lord of the Rings for no reason, while not having the same care in production, same consistency in direction, and the same attention to detail.

The Curt Jester

There is a person who has edited the three Hobbit movies into one movie.  I can't remember where it is, but I think you can see a sample on Youtube and it tells you where to go to see the edited version.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

gorignak

The Hobbit Fanedits can be found at http://www.maple-films.com/downloads.html.  I watched them when they came out and I remember them being an improvement over the released versions.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: gorignak on January 07, 2022, 12:24:05 PM
I watched them when they came out and I remember them being an improvement over the released versions.

Anything which shortens them is probably an improvement.

I see this is your first post, welcome, Rock!