Author Topic: Map in Our Lady Guadalupe Seminary shows monasteries dissolved by Henry VIII  (Read 679 times)

Offline SamVanHouten

• Korporal
  • Religion: AMDG
I suspect that US Americans, in general, do not realize what a fundamentally anti-Catholic country England has been since Henry VIII.  Guy Fawkes day is, in essence, a celebration of anti-Catholicism.  They are far too "enlightened" to do this to any other religion.

US Americans who are educated are generally aware of "Church of England" being embedded in government, whether that be the House of Lords, involvement of the Monarch and Prime Minister in their "Church of England" affairs, or that Catholics are specifically excluded from some roles or a Catholic in a certain role is particularly noteworthy.

Most people are ignorant about most things though, especially remote things so I don't know what most American know.

In America, the English heresy and political opposition to Spain, is the root of many of the myths about Catholics in the USA. Politically, the British Empire had anti-Spanish propaganda as they were competitors and a lot of that nonsense has survived into modern English speaking cultures, including the USA. Most don't know this, but it is easy to demonstrate to most people when it comes up.

Also, there are words in common casual use that are anti-Irish and anti-Catholic origin in English because of them as well.

The Church of England still has relevance?

Offline orate

• Pray always!
  • Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Also, there are words in common casual use that are anti-Irish and anti-Catholic origin in English because of them as well.

Funny you should say that today.  I heard Father use the term “Hocus Pocus” referring to magic during today’s sermon.  I wonder if he was aware that that is an anti-Catholic slur.  It originated as an insult based on the words of Consecration, Hoc est einem…

Because it has slipped into everyday usage, I hadn’t even thought about hooligan being an ethnic slur.  Probably the same for Father with hocus pocus.
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

The following users thanked this post: Jayne

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Declina a malo & Fac bonum

Funny you should say that today.  I heard Father use the term “Hocus Pocus” referring to magic during today’s sermon.  I wonder if he was aware that that is an anti-Catholic slur.  It originated as an insult based on the words of Consecration, Hoc est einem…

"Dunce" is another one, as it is a using a Catholic priest and theologian as an anti-intellectual insult.

Because it has slipped into everyday usage, I hadn’t even thought about hooligan being an ethnic slur.  Probably the same for Father with hocus pocus.

I made a joke not too long ago, about the dangers of syncretism, mixing non-Catholic theology and terms in with the Church. Doing that wouldn't be kosher. Besides, it is bad karma.
In all thy works remember thy last end, and thou shalt never sin. Ecclesiasticus 7:40

O ye sons of men, how long will you be dull of heart? why do you love vanity, and seek after lying? Psalms 4:3

But the end of all is at hand. Be prudent therefore, and watch in prayers. But before all things have a constant mutual charity among yourselves: for charity covereth a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:7-8

If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to that doctrine which is according to godliness, He is proud, knowing nothing, but sick about questions and strifes of words; from which arise envies, contentions, blasphemies, evil suspicions, Conflicts of men corrupted in mind, and who are destitute of the truth, supposing gain to be godliness. But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into this world: and certainly we can carry nothing out. But having food, and wherewith to be covered, with these we are content. For they that will become rich, fall into temptation, and into the snare of the devil, and into many unprofitable and hurtful desires, which drown men into destruction and perdition.  For the desire of money is the root of all evils; which some coveting have erred from the faith, and have entangled themselves in many sorrows. 1 Timonthy 6:3-10

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Larry, orate

Online MaximGun

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Trad Catholic
You are complaining about the English in their own language,  protected by a common law legal system they developed, using a technology, the World Wide Web, an Englishman created, which is powered by an energy source they discovered, Michael Faraday.

The English are the best.  No Englishman needs to be worried what a bunch of jealous colonials think of him. History has the English at the top of the list of all world powers.

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
You are complaining about the English in their own language,
Anglo-Saxon and Norman Fernch creole is not owned by a government.

I speak English because English governments persecuted speakers of their native language and tried to kill them and replace them with their own kind. My ancestors had to come to the USA to escape the persecution and genocidal policies of the English government. English is spoken in the USA.

And really, the Irish I know wouldn't be appreciated on a forum. A language is a language. It isn't politics or religion. We are not French here.

The English are the best. 
You'll note that in this thread I specified "English heretics" and the monarchs promoting this heresy. The English people as a whole are not being discussed, except for that thing about their settlers being unoriginal with naming new areas.

No Englishman needs to be worried what a bunch of jealous colonials think of him. History has them at the top of the list.

Colonial? My ancestors were not colonial. They were farmers in Ireland. They were Catholics.

They almost died because of it, because the English government was promoting the English language, their "Church of England", and their own race by trying to kill those who were speaking another language, practicing the faith, and not related to them.

So, when it comes to the English, if you want to make those statements, remember what you are actually saying. There a lot of people around the world who might have something to say.

The English colonial efforts are the root of a lot of civil strife around the world, in India/Pakistan, the Middle East in general, Cyprus, etc.

The English heresies and the English monarchs who assume full responsibility for protecting and promoting those heresies still exist.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 04:00:10 PM by Pæniteo »
In all thy works remember thy last end, and thou shalt never sin. Ecclesiasticus 7:40

O ye sons of men, how long will you be dull of heart? why do you love vanity, and seek after lying? Psalms 4:3

But the end of all is at hand. Be prudent therefore, and watch in prayers. But before all things have a constant mutual charity among yourselves: for charity covereth a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:7-8

If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to that doctrine which is according to godliness, He is proud, knowing nothing, but sick about questions and strifes of words; from which arise envies, contentions, blasphemies, evil suspicions, Conflicts of men corrupted in mind, and who are destitute of the truth, supposing gain to be godliness. But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into this world: and certainly we can carry nothing out. But having food, and wherewith to be covered, with these we are content. For they that will become rich, fall into temptation, and into the snare of the devil, and into many unprofitable and hurtful desires, which drown men into destruction and perdition.  For the desire of money is the root of all evils; which some coveting have erred from the faith, and have entangled themselves in many sorrows. 1 Timonthy 6:3-10

The following users thanked this post: Críostóir

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
History has the English at the top of the list of all world powers.

History has the English in a list of countries responsible for persecuting Catholics.  See Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism_in_the_United_Kingdom

A small excerpt:
Later several accusations fueled strong anti-Catholicism in England including the Gunpowder Plot, in which Guy Fawkes and other Catholic conspirators were found guilty of planning to blow up the English Parliament on the day the King was to open it. The Great Fire of London in 1666 was blamed on the Catholics and an inscription ascribing it to 'Popish frenzy' was engraved on the Monument to the Great Fire of London, which marked the location where the fire started (this inscription was only removed in 1831). The 'Popish Plot' involving Titus Oates further exacerbated Anglican-Catholic relations.

The beliefs that underlie the sort of strong anti-Catholicism once seen in the United Kingdom were summarized by William Blackstone in his Commentaries on the Laws of England:

As to papists, what has been said of the Protestant dissenters would hold equally strong for a general toleration of them; provided their separation was founded only upon difference of opinion in religion, and their principles did not also extend to a subversion of the civil government. If once they could be brought to renounce the supremacy of the pope, they might quietly enjoy their seven sacraments, their purgatory, and auricular confession; their worship of relics and images; nay even their transubstantiation. But while they acknowledge a foreign power, superior to the sovereignty of the kingdom, they cannot complain if the laws of that kingdom will not treat them upon the footing of good subjects..
— Bl. Comm. IV, c.4 ss. iii.2, p. *54
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac, Críostóir

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
I live in the USA and this nation has the largest military might in the world, including the top three largest air forces (US Airforce, US Navy, and US Army) each counted on their own, plus a Naval power that can project power all around the world simultanously.

And all that means nothing to me. I don't care about political might. It isn't a virtue. Being accused of being a "jealous colonial" is nonsense, because what am I jealous of? What colony am I from? My ancestors weren't English colonials. They were Irish farmers and the USA was its own country when they came here.

Being proud of historical military might makes no sense, especially when that might was not used for good and was often used to persecute the Church and keep people from the faith.

On this Christmas day, we can rejoice at the martyrs in Heaven who were hunted down by the English for the sake of the heretical sect they still have, and we can pray for the conversion of the English heretics and faithless who still toil on that island.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 04:11:40 PM by Pæniteo »

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, mikemac, Críostóir

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
This is a good post but it belongs in the History subforum.

Thanks, Mr. Jayne.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
I was trying to figure out which of us Heinrich was trying to insult, but then it came to me:

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
I am going to go out on a limb here and postulate that your knowledge base is not representative of most Americans. :)

That is high praise indeed.

For an example I was going to add about my one of my points, the English will use the word "hooligan" without shame, yet, avoid offending other races and cultures. Call someone a "Paki" and it is an insult...call someone a "hooligan" though and it is a normal phrase.

Note: "Paki" is not a term used in the USA to my knowledge, and as an American, it doesn't sound offensive in itself, but as far as I know, it is not appropriate for the countries which use it. But it is a very mild slur...it would be like calling someone from England an "Englishman" or someone from China a "Chinaman", even though it is not the preferred nomenclature (dude). Hooligan is used in the USA and when used by people who have displayed concern for not using offensive words like that for other people's and cultures, I'll tell them what they are doing.

Paki is not a mild slur and could put someone in very severe trouble in the UK.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• PVLVIS & CINIS
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
Paki is not a mild slur and

It was explained in more detail. I am pointing out that I'm showing awareness of it, but lack of personal appreciation of it because it is not a term used here.

could put someone in very severe trouble in the UK.
What kind of trouble? Legal trouble?