Do you reject the Second Vatican Council?

Started by GiftOfGod, December 17, 2021, 02:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiftOfGod

By "Second Vatican Council", I am not talking about the little things that were never put into practice and would have had a limited impact if they were, such as restoration of Gregorian Chant and public Vespers.

I am also not talking about the "interpretation" of the Council, which some people believe is where it went wrong.

I am talking about the actual substantive texts of the Council.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Jayne

I do not reject the actual texts of the Council. I believe that they are theoretically capable of orthodox interpretation, even though this has not be done in practice.  I think it is scandalous that they have enough ambiguity to allow heterodox interpretations, but do not consider that sufficient reason to reject them.

I am comfortable attending both my local SSPX and "Indult".  I probably prefer the SSPX, but for non-theological reasons.  (They operate more like a parish community.)  I chose other since the answers did not express this.

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Melkor

"From such an extravegent summary, we can draw only one conclusion: either we must condemn the Second Vatican Council which authorized it, or we must condemn the Council of Trent and all the Popes who, since the sixteenth century, have declared Protestantism heretical and schismatic."
? Marcel Lefebvre, Open Letter to Confused Catholics

Enough said.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Boniface VIII

Every Catholic rejects Vatican II as per your description.

Christina_S

Quote from: Boniface VIII on December 17, 2021, 07:56:44 PM
Every Catholic rejects Vatican II as per your description.
Have you read the Vatican II documents?
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

LausTibiChriste

Yes and I am none of the above (please explain in a comment below)

I was Ecclesia Dei/Indult but had nothing against the SSPX - been to 4 Masses of theirs in my life, they were just always hard to get to.

But I am now Eastern (in practice not on paper). Regardless, I still reject V2 outright. From my own, personal perspective the ONLY fruit it wrought was making Easterns more Eastern. But I view that as a happy accident of Providence rather than any virtue of the Council itself. The Council should be put in the waste basket of history and never talked about again.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Jayne on December 17, 2021, 03:45:42 PM
I believe that they are theoretically capable of orthodox interpretation,

This hermeneutic of continuity nonsense has to stop.

It's been 60 years and it ain't work. Just return to Tradition wholesale.

V2 is a false council.

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Jayne

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 18, 2021, 08:14:01 AM

V2 is a false council.

I am open to reasoned arguments.  I find mere assertions  uncompelling, whether or not they are accompanied by vulgar language.

Goldfinch

The truth is that every traditional Catholic ends up rejecting the Council one way or the other.

While Benedict still tried to salvage it with his convoluted "hermeneutic of continuity", the lines have been clearly drawn. There's no possible agreement between light and darkness, much less a continuity. The failed talks between Rome and the SSPX have demonstrated it. We have the privilege of having 60 years of hindsight: Vatican II was a cataclysm that turned what was the light of the world into a conventicle of heretics and apostates of every kind. Simply put, the tree is rotten and cannot come from the spotless bride of Christ.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Jayne on December 18, 2021, 09:17:15 AM

V2 is a false council.

I am open to reasoned arguments.  I find mere assertions  uncompelling, whether or not they are accompanied by vulgar language.

I do not care what you think juden

- MaximGun

Jayne

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 18, 2021, 09:49:51 AM
Quote from: Jayne on December 18, 2021, 09:17:15 AM

I do not care what you think juden

In case anyone was wondering, this is not a reasoned argument.

Jayne

Quote from: Goldfinch on December 18, 2021, 09:21:14 AM
The truth is that every traditional Catholic ends up rejecting the Council one way or the other.

I must admit that, even though I do not formally reject it, I do not treat it the way I do pre-Conciliar teaching.  I approach Conciliar documents with a caution that I do not have towards pre-conciliar teaching.

james03

In summary, my view is that Vatican II is non-binding and fallible.  So I reject it.

As far as the descriptions, I'm neo-sede, holding Bergoglio is an heretic.  As far as Mass, I'm a kung fu Trad and will go to whatever TLM is available.  If I have to force rank, I'd say I'm an SSPX Trad.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Prayerful

The Hermenuetic of Continuity was something under Benedict and it is a tolerable way to pick the sick old dog of Vatican 2 to sleep.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The Curt Jester

V2 is a false council.

In theory, it works.  I can read through the documents (although I have to admit I haven't read ALL of them) and come to an orthodox interpretation.  However, the reality of it is that because they are written in a manner that also permits other interpretations, we will never have a defense of tradition from the V2 documents, making them worthless for that.  So, yes, I agree with you that it's time to stop playing the game.  It only works with people who are already traditional leaning.  Just try giving a traditional interpretation to a pastor (or bishop or pope) who leans the other way and see how far it gets.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"