Author Topic: Has anyone made a whole cloth quilt?  (Read 955 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Has anyone made a whole cloth quilt?
« on: December 17, 2021, 08:30:35 AM »
I've wanted to make a whole cloth quilt for years, and I'm getting ready to take the plunge. Has anyone made one? I have some questions.
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
Re: Has anyone made a whole cloth quilt?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 12:07:35 PM »
My wife has been sewing quilts for years. I'd be glad to pass on any questions to her.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
How do I prep the fabric? The preprinted quilt tops say not to prewash or iron the fabric, in order to keep the design on there. Do I just put it on the quilting frame? Am I supposed to quilt with one strand of thread or two, like for sewing?
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »
OK so she does patchwork tops. She sews lots of little pieces together rather than whole cloth where the pattern comes from the stitching. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. She recommended checking out YouTube.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette

Online Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 06:22:45 AM »
How do I prep the fabric? The preprinted quilt tops say not to prewash or iron the fabric, in order to keep the design on there. Do I just put it on the quilting frame? Am I supposed to quilt with one strand of thread or two, like for sewing?

You don't need to prep the fabric. Yup, put the 3 layers together, load it onto the quilting frame and off you go! One strand of thread.

What size quilt will this be?

I'll post some links in a bit...

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Bernadette

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 06:52:29 AM »
Yay!  Lynne to the rescue! :cheer:
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 08:08:32 AM »

You don't need to prep the fabric. Yup, put the 3 layers together, load it onto the quilting frame and off you go! One strand of thread.

Thanks! It will be a queen size. I'm going to use red thread to make the design really pop.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 08:50:51 AM by Bernadette »

Offline Elizabeth.2

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 09:26:17 AM »
Yay!  Lynne to the rescue! :cheer:
As usual  ;D ;D ;D

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette, Lynne

Online Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 06:02:32 PM »

Thanks! It will be a queen size. I'm going to use red thread to make the design really pop.

Sounds wonderful!

All of the links I looked at were concerned with the design aspects of a wholecloth quilt. You don't have to worry about that, your quilt top is already marked.  :) I think you made at least one other quilt, right? Was it hand-quilted or machine-quilted?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2021, 08:15:57 PM »
My other quilts have all been tacked, so this will be a real learning experience for me.