Wearing Masks at Mass

Started by Pietrelcina, May 18, 2020, 10:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam_M

Quote from: TradGranny on May 19, 2020, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: Daniel on May 19, 2020, 05:10:25 AM
nobody becomes sick unless God wills it. The mask thus connotes man's rebellion against God.

Are you saying that no one should eat right, exercise or take supplements -- because to do so would be rebel against God? Since we won't ever get sick unless God wills it?

Daniel will answer for himself, but my own vigorous approval of Daniel's fantastic post does not suggest your question here.

I will thank you more in depth later, Daniel.
:)

Daniel

Quote from: TradGranny on May 19, 2020, 12:44:14 PM
nobody becomes sick unless God wills it. The mask thus connotes man's rebellion against God.

Are you saying that no one should eat right, exercise or take supplements -- because to do so would be rebel against God? Since we won't ever get sick unless God wills it?

Guess that's a fair point. I dunno. :shrug: Still, something about the way people are (over)reacting just seems diabolical. It's misplaced trust and senseless fear to say the least. And at least in my imagination, that's a great deal of what the surgical mask symbolizes--fear and misplaced trust.

trentcath

Now ignoring all the coronavirus nonsense, the one thing that I'd say that would be "wrong" about wearing a mask is the simple fact that it's a bit odd to be wearing a surgical mask if you're not a surgeon. I believe the whole mask-wearing thing began in Japan several years back as a fashion craze, and in the past few years began gaining momentum even in America. But just as we don't wear trendy clothes to church such as to draw attention to ourselves, and just as we don't wear Halloween masks or masquerade masks to church, we also probably shouldn't be surgical wearing masks to church. Because it's a vain and inappropriate thing to do.

I don't think this is true, I am pretty sure its an Asian thing which started after the SARS epidemic. Frankly, I also think this habit and lack of hysteria is why Asian countries, excluding China for obvious reasons, have handled Coronavirus much better than us.

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: Daniel on May 19, 2020, 05:33:04 PM

Guess that's a fair point. I dunno. :shrug: Still, something about the way people are (over)reacting just seems diabolical. It's misplaced trust and senseless fear to say the least. And at least in my imagination, that's a great deal of what the surgical mask symbolizes--fear and misplaced trust.

I understand where you are coming from. People are certainly overreacting, and it is very, very political. However, we wash our hands after using the toilet, we wash our hands before we eat, surgeons wash their hands between patients, we house animals separately from humans, we refrigerate meat and dairy. Following your logic I should never field dress a kill, I can just haul it home on my four wheeler intact because God won't let it putrefy and spoil unless it is His will that I die...? We take hundreds of steps every week in order to meet God half-way on the health and safety front. I think wearing a mask is in the same spirit.

Tales

Wearing a mask in public is the cultural norm in countries like Japan.  In Japan if a person is sick he should wear a mask to help lessen the spread of the illness and indicate to others that said person is ill.  Other Asian countries do this as well as a good hygiene practice and care for others.

Wearing a mask is no less trusting in God than is drinking water or brushing your teeth.  Daniel, you are not God's little robot.

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on May 19, 2020, 07:30:29 PM
Wearing a mask in public is the cultural norm in countries like Japan.  In Japan if a person is sick he should wear a mask to help lessen the spread of the illness and indicate to others that said person is ill.  Other Asian countries do this as well as a good hygiene practice and care for others.

Why do you think that is? Do you think it is because these cultures have such a built-in respect for elders? Are they more concerned with keeping them safe than western countries?

Tales

I think the answer to that is extremely complex and one that maybe after many more years of researching our European cultural roots I will better understand.

From a logical standpoint it makes sense.  If you are sick with a contagious airborne virus that you expel through sneezes and moisture from your breath then wearing a mask is a courteous thing to do for those around you.  Not only does it assist in reducing contagion but it also visually indicates to all others a warning that they can choose to avoid infection if they want. Doctors wear masks to help protect their patients.  So the question is less so why do Asians do it (since it makes sense) but rather why do Westerners resist it so fiercely.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on May 19, 2020, 07:30:29 PM

Wearing a mask is no less trusting in God than is drinking water or brushing your teeth.  Daniel, you are not God's little robot.

What a rude and condescending way to reply to him.  I do not read anything in his post that suggests he believes he is "God's little robot."

How obnoxious can you be?

Other people from other countries than Asian countries are entitled to their opinions regarding cultural norms.  I happen to think it's disordered to wear masks routinely unless one is living routinely in a highly contaminated/dangerous existence.

Tales

Miriam,

I have discussed with Daniel freewill and "God's little robot" multiple times over multiple threads over the past 2-3 years.  Given that I have tried to help him many times in overcoming his analysis paralysis towards life, I doubt he thinks I was being rude for I was not attempting to be rude as discussions between he and I indicate.

Specifically, his comment that:

Quotewhat people don't seem to realize that nobody becomes sick unless God wills it. The mask thus connotes man's rebellion against God.

Indicates that he is still struggling with freewill.  My reply is in response to the general theme of all his posts over the years, not merely one specific post.

awkwardcustomer

Masks are gags, basically, to muzzle people into silence.  They are deeply sinister and all the more so because they are justified on the basis of consideration for others. 
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Tales

I can speak through a surgical mask.  In what aspect is it a gag to muzzle people into silence?

trentcath

Quote from: awkwardcustomer on May 20, 2020, 05:33:10 AM
Masks are gags, basically, to muzzle people into silence.  They are deeply sinister and all the more so because they are justified on the basis of consideration for others.

Lol, sorry, but I think a lot of the people on this thread are a little too paranoid.

abc123

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on May 20, 2020, 07:23:44 AM
I can speak through a surgical mask.  In what aspect is it a gag to muzzle people into silence?

It's a form of social pressure and conformity. People have been so conditioned to conform now that those of us who refuse to wear masks in public are scorned as "selfish".

abc123

Quote from: trentcath on May 20, 2020, 07:53:18 AM
Quote from: awkwardcustomer on May 20, 2020, 05:33:10 AM

Lol, sorry, but I think a lot of the people on this thread are a little too paranoid.

Scoffing at those who raise the alarm regarding "minor inconveniences" to our liberties is a major contributor to the current situation where people conform to unconstitutional house arrest.

If we are frogs I'd say we're just about cooked.

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on May 20, 2020, 07:23:44 AM

You can speak through a surgical mask - for how long?  Can two people wearing masks have a conversation?  What about a family or group at the table? 

The symbolism is overt enough, at least to me, without the practical difficulties.  Cover your mouth, stifle your speech, keep social interactions to a minimum.  You are being silenced.
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.