Can/Should I oil this wooden box?

Started by Bernadette, November 04, 2016, 04:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

I like boxes.  ;D I like them a lot, especially ones with drawers and compartments.

I recently acquired this one, which I think is made of teak, probably in Hong Kong or thereabouts:

As far as I can tell, only the top has been sealed (and it may have just been sanded smoother than the rest of the box before the whole thing was stained: the rest of the box is slightly rougher and not as shiny). So would the rest of the box need to be oiled or waxed at all (lemon oil and Johnson's paste wax are the products that I would use)? Would it hurt anything?
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

I don't think it would hurt anything.  Maybe try a small spot that is in an unobtrusive place and see what happens?
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Carleendiane

Love your box and your taste Bernadette . Very pretty box. I too love interesting boxes. Boxes are full of surprizes. You just never know why the box was made in the first place. Sometimes they are made with a particular purpose in mind.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Bernadette

Quote from: Carleendiane on November 04, 2016, 07:08:52 PM
Love your box and your taste Bernadette . Very pretty box. I too love interesting boxes. Boxes are full of surprizes. You just never know why the box was made in the first place. Sometimes they are made with a particular purpose in mind.

Well, this particular one was made to be a jewelry box, but now:

;D

I had high hopes for my last sewing box, but it turned out to be pretty disappointing. But this one is absolutely perfect.
My Lord and my God.

Akavit

If that is teak a good method is to use a 50/50 cut of linseed oil and turpentine once a year.  Last year I was asked to clean off some black spots from two pieces of 30-year-old teak furniture and other than the spots, all the pieces were in excellent condition and the finish looked great.  That annual maintenance schedule was recommended by the manufacturer and the owner followed the advice with good results.

Now the manufacturer recommended 0000 steel wool as the applicator but my preference is gray Scotch Brite which is available at some paint shops and automotive suppliers.  Steel wool is messier and I suspect the black spots mentioned above were the result of water somehow getting into the steel wool (sweat on a hot day?) and reacting with the tannin in the wood.

Just be careful with the linseed oil.  People burn their houses down when they toss the applicators into the garbage (spontaneous combustion).  It's what started the fire in the Chicago Shrine of Christ the King.  There are instructions on the can for proper disposal which must be followed.

Paste wax offers better protection than the lemon oil.  It can be applied over the oil finish once the oil is dry but on teak, that shouldn't be necessary.

Akavit

Forgot to mention...

If that top has a film finish, don't put any sort of oil on it.  Paste wax would be fine.  Oils only work properly when they can get into the wood and film finishes prevent that sort of penetration.  Drying oils (such as linseed oil) will harden over time but not to the level of hardness required for a surface finish.  Non-drying oils will just sit on the surface as an oily film and attract dirt.  Paste wax is superior for that reason.

Bernadette

QuoteJust be careful with the linseed oil.  People burn their houses down when they toss the applicators into the garbage (spontaneous combustion).  It's what started the fire in the Chicago Shrine of Christ the King.  There are instructions on the can for proper disposal which must be followed.

This...this is just never going to happen.  :lol: Wax it is!
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Just wanted to say, the box turned out lovely. It's like it just drank the oil.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on November 08, 2016, 11:46:03 AM
Just wanted to say, the box turned out lovely. It's like it just drank the oil.

Oooo.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.