Holy Communion and medication

Started by Chestertonian, May 13, 2018, 11:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

I received holy communion today.  I did not throw up or have a flashback or anything but my nurse gave me my anxiety medication so that probably helped take the edge off.  I was very tiredd.so i didnt get to talk much.  but i was calm.  I hope God isnt angry at me if I wasnt in my right mind to receive holy communion but i was so scared of having a flashback or down on his hand (i cant easily stick out my tongue) hand but I was calm when the priest came and heard my confession...then he said he had holy communion for me and I told him i was toodisgusting and unworthy and i dont remember what he said, but he did get me to receive holy communion which wasjust a drop of the precious blood there was a ritual that is different from when priests come from novus ordo or roman rite.  It was beautiful thats all i remember and it put m heart at ease but now i dont have the drug in mysystem and I have some worrieids about whether i offended God or was in the right mind to receive?  What if God is repulsed that I Receivedhim under the influenceof a mind altering drug

i was also intensely tired because i was nauseated and they gave me compazine for that and ativan for anxiety so it was a struggle to be awake and Itook a nap after he left, which i feel guilty aboutbecause that was my wifes home visit but i guess it's either that or nausea i should have just put up with the nausea and maybe i am a lightweight for taking drugs like that

imjust worried that i did the wrong thing

i dont know why i didnt ask BEFORE communion but im worried i broke a rule about medication and communion i know our hearts are supposed to be sufficiently prepared to receive, and Im worried that there's never a point where y heart will be properly prepared, what if i wasnt prepared and I received nothing but our lords condemnnation
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Therese

No, you did not commit a sin. You are allowed to take water and medicine at any time. Be at peace!

Here are some relevant points for your situation.

QuoteOne who is to receive the Most Holy Eucharist is to abstain from any food or drink, with the exception only of water and medicine, for at least the period of one hour before Holy Communion.
Those who are advanced in age or who suffer from any infirmity, as well as those who take care of them, can receive the Most Holy Eucharist even if they have taken something during the previous hour."

QuoteSince the food must be received by mouth, a sick person being fed by a tube does not violate the fast. Nor does any medicine.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur368.htm

God bless you!

ServusMariae

Ches, you deserve confetti. Congratulations.

Be still & be at peace. You took the initiative to receive Him, & that alone makes Him very happy. You have nothing to worry :) 

MundaCorMeum

You did nothing wrong and everything right by receiving Our Lord.  He is not displeased!  He is delighted that you let down your walls, even just a little, to let Him in and bring you a bit of peace and comfort for your soul.  The only one who is displeased is the evil one.  He is seething with hatred that you get to have Our Lord so close to you, and he's trying it make you think it's God who is displeased.  It's a lie, Ches!  Don't believe it.  Satan is the father of lies.  Ignore him, and focus on the goodness that Christ wants to bring to your soul in His Most Blessed Sacrament.  THAT is the truth.  Cling to it with as much strength as you can.  I pray you can receive again soon, so Christ can begin the work of softening your heart to a point where you can recognize His goodness and love for you. 

St.Justin

Phar·i·see. The Spirit of the law is what counts

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: St.Justin on May 14, 2018, 09:39:41 AM

I'm not sure what you mean?

St.Justin

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on May 14, 2018, 11:16:10 AM

I mean we have become Pharisaical---practicing or advocating strict observance of external forms and ceremonies of religion or conduct without regard to the spirit; self-righteous; hypocritical.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: St.Justin on May 14, 2018, 11:39:40 AM

I mean we have become Pharisaical---practicing or advocating strict observance of external forms and ceremonies of religion or conduct without regard to the spirit; self-righteous; hypocritical.

I agree this is true in some instances, but I don't think it applies in Chestertonian's specific case.  I don't think he is just "going through the motions" for the sake of looking good to others, a la the Pharisees.  Based on my interactions with him (he will have to speak his own mind for you to get his actual position, obviously), receiving the Holy Eucharist is a huge leap in faith and trust for him to allow God to work His grace in Chestertonian's soul.  Is that not what Christ wants us to do?  To trust in Him, no matter what?

Keep in mind, too, in this particular thread, we are giving advice/counsel to Ches, in particular (who asked the question); not to any and all Catholics as a whole.  I would not have written what I wrote to just anyone. 

MundaCorMeum

"For amen I say to you, till Heaven and earth pass, one jot, or one tittle shall not pass of the law, till all be fulfilled.". The letter and the spirit both count. 

mikemac

:thumbsup:  That's the way Chess.  Good for you.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Chestertonian

Quote from: St.Justin on May 14, 2018, 11:39:40 AM

I'm not worried about disobeying rules about fasting because they don't apply to me I'm worried that I wasn't in the right state of mind
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Jayne

At Mass yesterday, the priest announced that there were just two weeks left to meet the Easter duty.  This reminded me of your situation so I prayed for you to be able to receive.  I am very pleased to learn that this happened.

You went to Confession so you did everything in your power to prepare properly.  God does not condemn people for things outside of their control.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Xavier

Wow, Ches. This is wonderful news. Very happy for you. You would definitely have received much grace.

As others have said and you know, the thing about fast etc is not applicable to you anyway, and medicine is fine even besides that.

You did very well to listen to your spiritual director. That's the surest way to know and discern God's will. The Blessed Sacrament is the fount of all graces and when God comes down to us, He lifts us up to union with Himself in holy Communion.

I want to apologize for being too harsh on you on another thread. Please forgive me.

I also want to share a testimony with you which a priest shared with me on a retreat, hope it will be encouraging and confirm for you that you made the right decision. A woman came to him with cancer sharing her difficulties with him. After praying, Father told her to go to chapel and spend an hour in adoration and thanksgiving every day for a month. She didn't want to do that at first, but however unwillingly, she ultimately obeyed, because it was her director's counsel. And she didn't even expect it, but by the end of the month she was fully healed. Just because she obeyed, and turned to the Eucharistic Lord.

Grace doesn't always manifest itself in external ways, but when we obey our director and turn to the Blessed Sacrament wholeheartedly, grace always begins to work in our lives internally and in unsuspected ways. You definitely made the right decision, Ches; may God richly bless you.

To the other thing, imo, all that God asks from us when we receive, beside confession, is faith, love and devotion. First, a firm faith in His infinite Love that makes Him, Who lacks nothing, simply want to pour out His goodness and grace upon us. For this purpose He became Man, laid His life down in Sacrifice, and remains always on our Altars forevermore. Secondly, a burning love to requite the Love of the Sacred Heart of Jesus so little requited for such immeasurable Love. And lastly, a deep devotion that truly desires to be freed from all attachment to sin and become perfectly united to the Lord. And grace always makes those dispositions poasible to all Catholics after confession.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)