Question for Former Orthodox or Eastern-Rite Catholics

Started by Ancilla Domini, February 24, 2014, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancilla Domini

I have been invited to attend a Greek Orthodox Divine Liturgy. Is there anything I should know, or be prepared for, in advance? Thanks!

drummerboy

Some friends of mine visited a nearby Eastern Rite monastery for Vespers.  I think the womenfolk just needed a veil (they're NO'ers so that was kind of novel to them), and of course no pants.  Please let's not start a women in pants debate... :rolleyes:
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Ancilla Domini

I don't wear pants, so no problem there.  :)

I assume a lace mantilla would look out of place. What kinds of head coverings are preferred? Scarves? I have lots of those.

EastWest7

Relative to women's head coverings, I think there is a fair amount of variance among Orthodox parishes, I've see women without head coverings, scarves, hats. I would expect you will have a positive experience, although in many Greek parishes they still use a fair amount of Greek during the liturgy...but you should be able to follow along by using the liturgy books found in the pews.   

Ancilla Domini

Landless Laborer

You know Greek?  Oh wow, now i'm really impressed.   :o

Since it's Greek, most women don't wear a head covering.  Rocor, they all wear scarves.  Pants are common for women in both.  The Greeks will have pews and kneelers...you won't have to stand like the Russians.

Here's something that will seem strange to you:   If someone is not disposed for communion, they don't get in line.  You'll see lots of people in line with their arms crossed upon the chest.  This doesn't mean they are going forward for a blessing, it's just an expression of unworthiness if not for divine grace.  If they line up, they want to receive.  Fwi, typically less than half of the people will receive communion on any given Sunday.   

Well if you're a half hour late, don't sweat it, that's usually when most of the Europeans show up.  :lol: 

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Landless Laborer on February 24, 2014, 07:35:35 PM
You know Greek?  Oh wow, now i'm really impressed.   :o

Greek is impressive? Why is that?

QuoteThe Greeks will have pews and kneelers...you won't have to stand like the Russians.

My Latin laziness will be glad.  :)

QuoteHere's something that will seem strange to you:   If someone is not disposed for communion, they don't get in line.  You'll see lots of people in line with their arms crossed upon the chest.  This doesn't mean they are going forward for a blessing, it's just an expression of unworthiness if not for divine grace.  If they line up, they want to receive.  Fwi, typically less than half of the people will receive communion on any given Sunday.

Yes, I just learned about that in Reborn Pure's video.  :)   

QuoteWell if you're a half hour late, don't sweat it, that's usually when most of the Europeans show up.  :lol: 

Of course!  :lol:

Though I plan to get there early, even before Orthros, since I don't want to miss a thing.  :)

Landless Laborer

Ancilla Domini

Landless Laborer

You're modest, Ancilla....(and i'm not implying it's the false type.)   I think i had the gift for memorization when i was younger, but it faded with age.  Now i can't recall strings of syllables, of sounds, just on their own merit.  Children have an uncanny knack for this, and some people retain it well into middle age, even.  So one has to fortify new words with associations of sound and meaning.  I'm getting better and better at this, and sometimes i even think i'm starting to just be able to recall sounds by themselves again.   :)  This is the best thing i've found....to renew the mind, to stay young, as Christ wants us to be. 
When did you study Greek?  Was it one of the earlier languages you learned, or later? 

By the way, i love the Greek organ.  I think it adds a wonderful dimension to byzantine hymns.  Hope they have one at the parish you visit.  We'll expect a full report.   ;D

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Landless Laborer on February 25, 2014, 01:54:17 PM
You're modest, Ancilla....(and i'm not implying it's the false type.)

I'm afraid you think too highly of me, Landless. But thank you.  :)

QuoteWhen did you study Greek?  Was it one of the earlier languages you learned, or later?

I had some exposure to it in childhood, and always meant to learn it, but I didn't get around to studying it seriously until recently.   

QuoteBy the way, i love the Greek organ.  I think it adds a wonderful dimension to byzantine hymns. Hope they have one at the parish you visit. 

Oh... I'm not familiar. I tend to prefer a capella. But this could change my mind...  :)

QuoteWe'll expect a full report.   ;D

Of course. Though I don't actually even know when I'm going yet. 

Ancilla Domini

Just to clarify: I've lived most of my life in a very multicultural environment, and I've had "some exposure" to dozens of different languages. All that really means, for me, is that I can order food, I can flirt, and I can curse. It's a long way from fluency, but I figure I've got the essentials covered!  :lol: 

Landless Laborer

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on February 25, 2014, 02:58:36 PM
Just to clarify: I've lived most of my life in a very multicultural environment, and I've had "some exposure" to dozens of different languages. All that really means, for me, is that I can order food, I can flirt, and I can curse. It's a long way from fluency, but I figure I've got the essentials covered!  :lol:
Haha, those are the essentials!  Pay particular attention to the Cherubic Hymn, sung / played right after the sermon and during the Great Entrance.  I think there are several versions, but the one we use is.....wow.  I don't know how to describe it.  Somehow it reminds me of Carl Orff's "O Fortuna"....except that it is byzantine.  It has that kind of foreboding power and majesty, and it needs the organ to fully express this.   

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Landless Laborer on February 25, 2014, 03:13:05 PMPay particular attention to the Cherubic Hymn, sung / played right after the sermon and during the Great Entrance.  I think there are several versions, but the one we use is.....wow.  I don't know how to describe it.  Somehow it reminds me of Carl Orff's "O Fortuna"....except that it is byzantine.  It has that kind of foreboding power and majesty, and it needs the organ to fully express this.

Looking forward to it!  :)

kayla_veronica

Communicatio in sacris is a grave sin.  Please cancel your plans!

It's a little shocking no one has pointed out the obvious.  Don't go!  You're putting your soul in peril.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.