Crusader Kings II

Started by Trogfecta, September 12, 2014, 08:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trogfecta

Crusader Kings 2 is a grand strategy game set in the middle ages from 1066-1453 (start date of 867 with DLC).  While you can play other religions with DLC, the main religion is Catholicism.  It isn't actually too influential on gameplay, but the Pope can call crusades, and you can call holy wars.  With the "Sons of Abraham" DLC Jews are added and there are some more features to Catholicism.  CK2 has a difficult learning curve and is a very complex game.  Your first (horrid) play through of CK2 should be vanilla, but then I recommend the HIP mod.  It makes the game more historical and generally improves it.
My advice:  Play as Ireland your first time because you can learn the mechanics without too much threats.  Starting the game as the HRE or France will just lead to being overwhelmed and having your empire fall apart almost immediately. 

Kaesekopf

Unsure if spam.... Or someone excited about this video game....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Trogfecta

I'm not a viral marketer or anything.  I have 400 hours in this game and I just really like everything about it. 

Kaesekopf

:lol:

OK.

I just thought it was an interesting first post.  :P
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bl. Karl Hapsburg

I have about 200 hours on this game myself. It's a very fun. There are so many ways to play. I love papal politics and the religious aspect to it. I usually play as Aragon and call wars on the Muslims
If people don't believe in God, they won't believe in nothing; they'll believe in anything - Chesterton

Jacob

I am really wanting to get this game, but I don't know if my system will run it.

Is it graphics intensive like MTWII?  My other computer is an XP-era machine that I am saving to get replaced.  I know I ought to wait for the new computer, but it's going to take forever to save for it...  Woe is me!  Not really, but you get the idea. ;)
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

TeutonicTheist

Just got in. United Ireland within about 100 years, then successfully won the 2nd Crusade for Jerusalem and established the Irish Kingdom of Jerusalem.  I now take turns between Crusading and beating the crap out of Egypt. It's great.
"I love to travel but hate to arrive"

-Hernando Cortez

Prayerful

Quote from: Jacob on September 30, 2014, 09:34:46 AM
I am really wanting to get this game, but I don't know if my system will run it.

Is it graphics intensive like MTWII?  My other computer is an XP-era machine that I am saving to get replaced.  I know I ought to wait for the new computer, but it's going to take forever to save for it...  Woe is me!  Not really, but you get the idea. ;)

The latest dlc extended the maps to the borders of China or Tibet. An older machine might lack the processing power. Check on its official forum. I doubt it could manage it. I would keep saving.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

TeutonicTheist

Quote from: Prayerful on October 07, 2014, 04:28:24 PM

The latest dlc extended the maps to the borders of China or Tibet. An older machine might lack the processing power. Check on its official forum. I doubt it could manage it. I would keep saving.

Which DLC was that?  Rajas of India?

-Hernando Cortez

TeutonicTheist

Anyway, basically, if you want to play a good guy, be a Catholic....or maybe a Byzantine.  If you want to play a bad guy, play as a Muslim or Norse Pagan.  Though, you could be a standard Catholic robber baron as well.

-Hernando Cortez

Prayerful

Quote from: TeutonicTheist on October 07, 2014, 09:45:32 PM
Quote from: Prayerful on October 07, 2014, 04:28:24 PM

Which DLC was that?  Rajas of India?

Yes. It had flaws due to incessant revolts in Indian counties due to the low religious authority of local religions. That is largely resolved now, I think.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

TeutonicTheist

Though, since they added a mechanic to expell the Jews, the developers have gotten a little PC to avoid accusations of anti semitism. I could understand that expelling the Jews could cost you technology points in economy, but culture and military too? How the hell could Medieval Jews possibly influence military or culture in a European Christian society at all, much less to such as great extent as tge game makes it out to be.

-Hernando Cortez

Prayerful

Expelling the Jews is mainly a way to welsh on loans taking from that community. It reduces diplomatic skills by a bit, which can be significant if a lord low skills in that area. It also precludes the appearance or continued presence of Jews among the court. They can be highly skilled in economics or maybe research to justify appointing them to your council (whichever the name is) although you will probably get hassle from vassals wanting those posts.

Francisco Suárez

Attempted playing this one. Was overwhelmed with the learning curve within the first 10 minutes. Immediately went back to Victoria II.

Prayerful

Perhaps start with an earldom in Ireland. It has the nickname of 'tutorial island' in the game. There is little risk of being away with the likes of an Abbasid jihad. There are smaller islands, but it's just the right size to master the mechanics without stress.