Would you ever...

Started by Lyubov, January 04, 2013, 02:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erin is nice

I probably wouldn't. I like hebrew names and Marie doesn't really go with any of them.

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Lyubov on January 04, 2013, 03:21:20 AM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 04, 2013, 03:13:10 AM
Quote from: Lyubov on January 04, 2013, 02:22:21 AM
The European Catholic tradition of giving boys "Mary", "Marie", or "Maria" as a middle name is a wonderful tradition.

You forgot to mention that there's also the reverse tradtion: naming girls as "Joseph" or "John." Often you hear names like "Maria José" (Mary Joseph) or "Maria João" (Mary John).

You're right. The last Queen of Italy, a Belgian princess, was named Marie José.  :)
Yes. Even the first president of Mexico was named Guadalupe Victoria.
And of course many Hispanic/Latin men are named Maria as a first or second name.
Jose Maria. 
I actually like it as a 2nd or 3rd name. Sounds very Catholic.

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: erin is nice on January 04, 2013, 05:04:04 PM
I probably wouldn't. I like hebrew names and Marie doesn't really go with any of them.

Except that Marie and its variants are Hebrew names.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 04, 2013, 05:58:55 PM

Well said.
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

OCLittleFlower

I thought Miriam was the Hebrew variant.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bonaventure

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 04, 2013, 07:01:16 PM

I thought Miriam was the Hebrew variant.

It is. I think it's the Arabic variant as well.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

LouisIX

I wouldn't, though I have no inherent problem with it.  I think that English culture emphasizes masculinity in different ways than, say, French culture. 
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 04, 2013, 03:13:10 AM
In Spain, there's also the odd tradition of naming boys "Jesús." That's one I'm uncomfortable with.

What about Joshua?

erin is nice

That's true, but I just don't think they sound nice together. Marie goes with French names.

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: erin is nice on January 06, 2013, 04:11:43 PM

That's true, but I just don't think they sound nice together. Marie goes with French names.
And Maria?

Liza

All my children have Mary or Maria in their names.  All our 3 boys have Maria as a third name.  This idea came from my husbands side (he has Maria too; it's his family tradition ~ Dutch background)....I am use to it now....

On paperwork/documents, we just fill in their Christian name and middle name though.

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Liza on January 06, 2013, 11:51:15 PM
All my children have Mary or Maria in their names.  All our 3 boys have Maria as a third name.  This idea came from my husbands side (he has Maria too; it's his family tradition ~ Dutch background)....I am use to it now....

On paperwork/documents, we just fill in their Christian name and middle name though.

I like it!

poche

I remember when my mother was pregnant with her four last pregnancies. My Dad would think up some very effiminate names for them if they were to be born boys. Names like Stanislaus Alouisious, Pierre Octavius, Pierre Ettiene. God was merciful. They were all born girls.
:) :) :)

Penelope

Those names don't sound effeminate to me!

jovan66102

Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/