Traditional Catholism for Dummies?

Started by Vanna Grace, September 08, 2014, 07:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

It is a wonderful book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Vanna Grace

I am now on Chapter 4 of Open Letter to Confused Catholics. This is truly eye opening. I am understanding why you believe the way you do. I am also feeling very convicted...which is a good thing. How often have I reduced God to my level? Made Him my equal? So many times. I never understood the deep reverence for the Lord that was in place before Vatican II within the Mass.

When I was going through RCIA, Archbishop Naumann held a mass for us. He spoke of absolute truths. He said that there are absolute truths and society tries very hard to make everything a shade of gray...but isn't that what Vatican II did? Take absolute truths and either water them down or completely erase them. I do not understand how infallible doctrine can be changed...wouldn't that be saying it wasn't correct? Thus making it fallible?

Please pray that God gives me the capacity to understand, the ability to discern, and the bravery to always follow Him.

Kaesekopf

These are good questions.  :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Parresia

In addition to +Lefebvre's excellent book which has been recommended above, I strongly encourage you to consider the following:

The Second Vatican Council: An Unwritten Story – Dr. Roberto de Mattei
Work of Human Hands: A Theological Critique of the Mass of Paul VI - Fr. Anthony Cekada
Iota Unum: A Study of Changes in the Catholic Church in the Twentieth Century - Romano Amerio

+Pax

Jayne

Quote from: Parresia on September 09, 2014, 10:10:57 AM
In addition to +Lefebvre's excellent book which has been recommended above, I strongly encourage you to consider the following:

The Second Vatican Council: An Unwritten Story – Dr. Roberto de Mattei
Work of Human Hands: A Theological Critique of the Mass of Paul VI - Fr. Anthony Cekada
Iota Unum: A Study of Changes in the Catholic Church in the Twentieth Century - Romano Amerio

I have long thought that you are an extremely smart person, Parresia, but I must increase my estimate of your intelligence even more if you consider the above to be works suitable for a "dummy".  Personally, I would classify them as challenging and advanced, although I agree that they are informative and thorough. 

I suggest that a beginner start with the video overviews of Work of Human Hands and then move onto the book.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDA085477E90AC096
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Vanna, you had mentioned in other posts that you have access to attending the TLM.  Have you been able to attend yet?  There is more to traditional Catholicism than intellectual understanding.  If you experience the TLM and traditional devotions, you will be better able to grasp how seriously wrong it is to deprive people of these things.  I do not want to discourage you from reading, but do not limit yourself to it.

Vanna Grace

Our priest is on leave (conference and vacation) until October. There will be no Latin Mass while he is gone. I will definitely attend when it resumes.

Jayne

A good book for learning about the Mass is Know Your Mass which was written for children, but I found it very helpful too.  I found a pdf for it or you can buy a real book:http://www.ccwatershed.org/media/pdfs/14/06/26/12-34-30_0.pdf

Sbyvl36

I really am glad that Vanna Grace has discovered Tradition.  I believe her faith will be all the stronger now.  As an aside, I have shared with her my "10 Tips for New Trads", which is available upon request.
My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

Lynne

Quote from: Jayne on September 09, 2014, 11:32:34 AM
A good book for learning about the Mass is Know Your Mass which was written for children, but I found it very helpful too.  I found a pdf for it or you can buy a real book:http://www.ccwatershed.org/media/pdfs/14/06/26/12-34-30_0.pdf

That is SO excellent!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Quote from: Jayne on September 09, 2014, 11:32:34 AM

Jayne! I love you for this!  ;D :grouphug:
My Lord and my God.

Jayne

I am pretty pleased with myself for finding it too.  ;D  This has got to be one of the best introductory books to the Mass there is and I am very happy to find it online.

Vanna Grace

I have The Mass for Children but am not sure if it's traditional. It was published in 1990, so doubtful?

I will check out Know Your Mass.

**side note - have been discussing this with my husband and he's getting fired up (in a positive way) about all of this. I'm so excited for the first time in a long time. Thank you everyone.

Jayne

That is wonderful that your husband is getting excited about this with you.  It can be hard on a marriage when only one spouse becomes interested in tradition.  It will be great if the two of you can make this journey together.

Lynne

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 09, 2014, 12:21:08 PM
I have The Mass for Children but am not sure if it's traditional. It was published in 1990, so doubtful?

I will check out Know Your Mass.

**side note - have been discussing this with my husband and he's getting fired up (in a positive way) about all of this. I'm so excited for the first time in a long time. Thank you everyone.

It should be apparent rather quickly if it describes the new Mass or the TLM. I'm betting it describes the new one.

The link that Jayne posted is a pdf. You can buy it as a hard copy from Angelus Press in addition to the place that hosts the pdf. I think their printed version is abridged.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"