shooting at targets with human images

Started by Traditionallyruralmom, January 12, 2019, 12:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Nobis

Quote from: Maximilian on January 12, 2019, 11:36:42 PM
Quote from: Non Nobis on January 12, 2019, 11:21:22 PM
Traditionallyruralmom did obey her husband. 

Did he ask her to post this on the internet?

But if she thought he was commanding something that was morally imperfect (e.g. having LESS anger than she ought) maybe she should have talked to him about more rather than us.

Wrong, wrong. Judging every statement of one's superior in order to decide whether it is less than morally perfect is the road to perdition. "Talking more" is the opposite of the admonition that St. Peter gives to wives.

At that point, if she still didn't understand, a priest probably could have helped; it wouldn't need to be in private.

No, no, no. You obviously have no experience of married life. But even someone with no experience could understand better in theory.

We can't/shouldn't talk about what goes on between a particular man and his wife.

Not unless they post it on the internet for the whole world to see.

But we can talk about objective moral issues in general. Maybe the issue could have been bought up in a general may, not mentioning who said what.

Well that might be preferable. But there is no imaginable scenario in which a wife should feel obliged to disobey her rightful superior in order to shoot firearms at images of people in the news.

You're right that I can't judge the situation between married people, because of a lack of experience, and I don't doubt I could still understand better in theory.  I do the best I can. Thank you for your input.

Quote from: MaximilianBut there is no imaginable scenario in which a wife should feel obliged to disobey her rightful superior in order to shoot firearms at images of people in the news.

No, of course not.  But a single man might foolishly think he was morally allowed to do so and ask for more explanation. A wife would never be morally allowed given that her husband forbade it, but would it hurt her or their marriage for her to understand why it would be wrong for anyone to do? It's not a matter of "talking more" being demanded or expected for obedience, only that it is good to understand (even if later) what is good or evil for anyone.

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Gardener

Neither here nor there objectively speaking. But, his call.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Traditionallyruralmom

sheesh people, we had a good jaw over it while we were out shooting.  Way more than I shared here.  He ended up saying maybe he was wrong, he did not know for sure.  I admitted that he could be correct, that my disgust with this persons actions from a mom's point of view could make the target practice sinful. I could have filled that mug shot full of led, but in the end I choose to listen to him because he is usually correct on spiritual matters. and he is my spiritual head.  He did tell me to ask a priest, but not the one we go to that also says the N.O. ....so it will be a few weeks until I can get the Traddy opinion. 
I am not stupid enough to think an online forum is going to solve all my problems, I just thought it would make for an interesting discussion.
So don't fret that I am airing our dirty laundry and asking for free counseling.....Anyway, watching his ability to shoot a handgun out of both hands at the same time and hit all 8,9 and 10 in the target proves he is no snowflake  ;)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on January 12, 2019, 12:57:36 PM
Anyway, hubs said no, it was not appropriate for a Catholic to do.  I told him he was a snowflake, but I obeyed him. 
Was he right?

Although the person in question was a vile murderer, your husband was right.

He was prudent in his judgment. Anger is a deadly sin and shooting at his picture would probably just ignite your anger.

He looked after you. You did well to obey him. Now repent of calling him a snowflake and cook him something special.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Maximilian

Quote from: Non Nobis on January 13, 2019, 01:03:10 AM

would it hurt her or their marriage for her to understand why it would be wrong for anyone to do? It's not a matter of "talking more" being demanded or expected for obedience, only that it is good to understand (even if later) what is good or evil for anyone.

You make a valid distinction.

Let's say a parent gives an order to 2 children such as telling them to do the dishes:

Child A doesn't want to obey, and so they ask "Why should I?" In their heart they don't want to obey, and so they ask a question as a means of thwarting off the authority. They might follow up with statements like "It's not my turn. This is unfair. I'm the only one who does any work in this house."

Child B does want to obey and intends to obey, but they are seeking clarification. They might ask a very similar question, but their intention is to find out, "Explain to me why I should do this." They are prepared to accept the explanation offered, rather than being prepared with lines of defense/attack 2, 3 and 4 as soon as one question is answered.

The difference between the 2 children is what's in their heart. Jesus says, "The words that come out of a man's mouth are the overflowing of his heart," and so there will be noticeable differences in the tone of the voice, in the attitude, in the phrasing between the question with a bad intention and the question with a good intention.

We were on the Auriesville Pilgrimage one year when I saw a wonderful example. After a long day of hiking 20 miles, the teenagers were planning to have a gathering. One  lovely young lady asked her father if she could join the others. The father said "No." The girl did not argue, but she did say in a non-antagonistic voice, "Let me explain to you the good reasons why it makes sense for me to join the other teenagers." The father listened and then said, "Those are plausible reasons, but the answer is still 'No'." Rather than turn up the volume on her response, she then quietly accepted his decision.

That happened about 15 years ago, but that wonderful example has always stuck in my mind.

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 13, 2019, 12:00:38 PM
Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on January 12, 2019, 12:57:36 PM
Anyway, hubs said no, it was not appropriate for a Catholic to do.  I told him he was a snowflake, but I obeyed him. 
Was he right?

Although the person in question as a vile murderer, your husband was right.

He was prudent in his judgment. Anger is a deadly sin and shooting at his picture would probably just ignite your anger.

He looked after you. You did well to obey him. Now repent of calling him a snowflake and cook him something special.
:)   Yes, good food is in order here....and for the record, he mentioned his own snowflake potential first, I just confirmed his suspicions for the last word (in true bad trad wife style  ;D
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.