quick laptop advice

Started by drummerboy, October 27, 2014, 06:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

So I'm new to laptops, and am looking for just a basic model, typing and internet (research/browsing and ordering stuff is most of what I do, no gaming) in the $2-300 range.  Anything I should know?  Thanks!
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Akavit

Determine how you will use the thing.  Will it mostly be stationary and just moved on occasion or is it a device that will be carried everywhere?  If the latter, don't be tempted by the larger screens which are more expensive, heavier and awkward to carry.

Check out the keyboards to see which ones are the most pleasant to use.  Some are cramped.

My preference is to go for obsolete but high-end business models since they're often built for reliability and not speed (gaming systems) and are reasonably priced.  I'm currently using a refurbished HP Elitebook 8440p for internet, 3d modeling, CAM and photo editing and it's functioned flawlessly for nearly two years now.  Paid $500 at the time.  Dell Outlet is one place that has discounted models that can be good value.  Not the main Dell store but the Outlet.  Tiger Direct and Newegg are two good sites to check as well.

Whatever you get, it'll work best if you know how to uninstall all the useless software the manufacturer likes to put on the system.  You want to be as close to a bare bones operating system install as possible.

There are review sites like notebookreview.com that will usually have reviews of any model you're interested in buying.  Computer tech changes fast so it's near impossible to stay on top of what's the best value out there.  Find stuff in your price range then look for the reviews on those models.

Supposedly, if you leave a laptop plugged into the charger constantly, the battery will go bad really fast.