Atheist

Started by Shadow Fox, July 30, 2014, 01:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penelope

Dude. Dude. The Oxford Comma. My favorite piece of punctuation!

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Penelope on July 31, 2014, 08:08:13 PM
Dude. Dude. The Oxford Comma. My favorite piece of punctuation!

You spelled "interrobang" wrong.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on July 31, 2014, 03:57:34 PM
So the atheist, in his bid to sow discord, actually created unity.   
God moves in mysterious ways.

;D

:lol:

Freaky, ain't it?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Jayne on July 31, 2014, 05:31:56 PM
Quote from: Sbyvl36 on July 31, 2014, 05:30:36 PM
Quote from: Jayne on July 31, 2014, 05:12:36 PM
Quote from: Sbyvl36 on July 31, 2014, 04:11:50 PM
Quote from: Jayne on July 31, 2014, 03:45:10 PM
I had fun on this thread.  It gave me a chance to be on the same side with some people I usually argue with.  It felt good.m.youtube.com/watch?v=3mXMtLmhQ74

Come on Jayne, we don't argue that much.

What's your position on the Oxford comma?

I support use of the Oxford Comma.  I cringe whenever I see a sentence that should have it but does not.

Then I guess we are buddies now.

You kids have fun at your extra punctuation marks for no reason club.  I'll throw, in, %some )extra+;;;;::::---useless punctuation.......,,,,, marks, in, my, sentence. in . . uour honor...,,?;;
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Sbyvl36

It is not extra pronunciation; it is correct pronunciation.
My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

Arun

a,m, i, d,o,i,n,g, i,t, r,i,g,h,t, ?,

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Daniel

I hate it when people leave out that comma.  It makes no grammatical sense and sometimes it changes the most natural reading of the sentence.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Arun on August 01, 2014, 12:18:28 AM
a,m, i, d,o,i,n,g, i,t, r,i,g,h,t, ?,

.,,,me,e,ds m,o,r,e vo.mm as,,,,,
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

LaramieHirsch

I've tried talking over there at TTA.  I've never made time to learn apologetics, really.  And no one over there seemed interested in anything I had to say.  It was hostile. 

I suppose I've concluded I don't really have much to say to atheists.
"Evil smells weakness, and the weak can smell evil."  -Me

"Silence is complicity."  -Me

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

Revixit

Quote from: LaramieHirsch on August 01, 2014, 09:34:15 PM
I've tried talking over there at TTA.  I've never made time to learn apologetics, really.  And no one over there seemed interested in anything I had to say.  It was hostile. 

I suppose I've concluded I don't really have much to say to atheists.

It doesn't matter what you say to atheists because they don't listen.  They're angry.  Most of the time, they're still mad at their parents or (quite often) at Sister X or Father Y and want to tell you how Sister or Father was wrong -- ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, or sixty years ago!  "The Church was just so black and white, never recognizing shades of grey."

They complain that Sister smacked their hands with a ruler, ignoring you when you say that corporal punishment was common in public schools, too.

Some atheists are highly intelligent and want proof.  If God won't appear to them personally, they want nothing to do with Him, and use His failure to do their bidding as evidence that there is no God.  There is no logic to that position but they can't see that they're being illogical.

In real life, they may realize there is something to Faith if it's demonstrated to them by acts.  Keeping the Faith and showing it by your acts is the best witness.

It's nice seeing you here, Laramie.  I don't know whether you've been away or if I've just missed your posts but I was glad to see this one.  How are your gardens, orchards, etc., doing this year?  Did the hard winter cause problems for you?
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy On Us

Chestertonian

I was atheist-ish or at least agnostic for awhile.  It didn't arise from being mad at my parents, or my orthodox Jewish upbringing... it was, "How can a loving God allow so much suffering in the world?"  My Jewish faith didn't adequately address that.  Sure, the book of Job explains that God allows suffering in order that we might prove our faithfulness to Him in good times and in bad.  But I had so much anger at a lot of things that were happening to me, and in the world. 

I don't think I really understood suffering until I became Christian.  Suffering is how our redemption happened.  God Himself suffered for us and "makes all things new" because of His sufferings.  I now see it as not just something God allows, but something God uses to sanctify us.

LaramieHirsch

Quote from: Revixit on August 03, 2014, 08:36:19 PM
It's nice seeing you here, Laramie.  I don't know whether you've been away or if I've just missed your posts but I was glad to see this one.  How are your gardens, orchards, etc., doing this year?  Did the hard winter cause problems for you?

I've tried to lay off the forums and blogging as best as I can.  I have a lot to do in real life that I just don't talk about on the forums, and so I'm kept pretty busy. 

In fact, I've been so busy that the gardens have been sort of neglected this year, though I have a really great patch of cantaloupe going.  Last Christmas, the neighbor's dog got out and slaughtered all of my chickens and a rabbit.  I'll replace them all next spring. 

And as for that hard winter you asked about...I was amazed.  I've been able to grow carrots, turnips, and spinach through our Oklahoma winters, but last year's winter killed off even the tops of the carrots.  I use those carrot tops to treat the rabbits.

Good times.

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

LaramieHirsch

Quote from: Revixit on August 03, 2014, 08:36:19 PM
It doesn't matter what you say to atheists because they don't listen.  They're angry.  Most of the time, they're still mad at their parents or (quite often) at Sister X or Father Y and want to tell you how Sister or Father was wrong -- ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, or sixty years ago!  "The Church was just so black and white, never recognizing shades of grey."

...Some atheists are highly intelligent and want proof.  If God won't appear to them personally, they want nothing to do with Him, and use His failure to do their bidding as evidence that there is no God. 

Yes, the atheists I've tried talking to do not know how to objectively hold a conversation without insulting you or something you believe in.  It's very malicious and rude when a person does that in a conversation with you.  I think I blocked at least 4 or 5 people when I was at TTA.  All I ended up talking about over there was my interest in monarchy and a small inquiry of what people thought about the Ham/Nye debate. 

--------

I find that some people like   love to argue and debate that Person A is supposed to believe in Idea B.  That's apologetics for you. 

Myself, I'm not so hung up on trying to convince people to believe in Idea B, because I'm too busy trying to apply Idea B to my life.  I am busy trying to live within Idea B and incorporate the philosophy of that idea in my every day living.  I am not built for convincing people to join me in pursuing Idea B, nor do I have the interest or time. 

So, basically I just speak with other Catholics.  I'm happy to explain my beliefs to a non-believer if they ask or tell them why I believe what I believe, but typically no one is interested in asking those kinds of questions.  I often wonder how the first Christians talked to their pagan neighbors and what the reactions were like.  I imagine that since Christianity was new back then, there was not much objection to it.  Sort of how the Aztecs were willing to convert to the new religion that allowed them to end their sacrifices.  They sacrificed over 200,000 people a year in their rituals. 

TTA forum sometimes seems as though it is mostly powered by the idea of rejecting Christianity.  I have the impression that if Christianity was removed from the Earth for these people, that forum would have nothing to talk about.  And in that way, they are ironically sort of dependant on Christ.

-Saint John Eudes

TPC

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 03, 2014, 09:05:01 PM
I was atheist-ish or at least agnostic for awhile.  It didn't arise from being mad at my parents, or my orthodox Jewish upbringing... it was, "How can a loving God allow so much suffering in the world?"  My Jewish faith didn't adequately address that.  Sure, the book of Job explains that God allows suffering in order that we might prove our faithfulness to Him in good times and in bad.  But I had so much anger at a lot of things that were happening to me, and in the world. 

I don't think I really understood suffering until I became Christian.  Suffering is how our redemption happened.  God Himself suffered for us and "makes all things new" because of His sufferings.  I now see it as not just something God allows, but something God uses to sanctify us.

Insightful

voxxpopulisuxx

Evil I have found is a very good foundation to attack atheist world views. They recognise the concept of evil or "wrong" even if they think theism is its apex. Go after them to tell you by what metric they define something evil wrong or unjust....how do you know the salem witchtrials werent a good thing?  Why was it unjust what happened to Galileo?  Etc...youll have them stammering and backpeddeling in no time.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.