Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Fleur-de-Lys

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 20, 2018, 09:10:32 AM
No, that is Spanish.  :lol:

Yes, Castilian to be more precise.

And the baptism is invalid. The priest just said "I baptize you in the name of the Father..." and then proceeded to chat with the parents.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Michael Wilson

"Spanish" is correct; those are not Spaniards but Latin Americans and "Spanish" is the modern international language that developed out of "Castillian", a medieval regional dialect spoken in the central part of Spain.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Gardener

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on August 20, 2018, 09:36:04 PM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on August 20, 2018, 09:10:32 AM
No, that is Spanish.  :lol:

Yes, Castilian to be more precise.

And the baptism is invalid. The priest just said "I baptize you in the name of the Father..." and then proceeded to chat with the parents.

But was the chatting pastoral?

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 22, 2018, 03:35:36 PM
"Spanish" is the modern international language that developed out of "Castillian", a medieval regional dialect spoken in the central part of Spain.

"Spanish" and "Castilian" are synonyms.

The use of one over the other depends on preference and context. There are quite a few Latin American countries today, like Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, etc., that designate their national language as "Castilian" in their constitutions.

When I said to Fleur-de-Lys "Castilian to be more precise," I wasn't correcting her use of "Spanish." Both terms are acceptable. It was tongue-in-cheek since all Latin Iberian languages, including Catalan and Portuguese, are "Spanish" in a deeper historical sense.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Michael Wilson

Thanks. When I was living in Spain, I saw an editorial in a conservative newspaper that stated that the use of the word "Castillian" to designate Spanish (by the separatist) was an anachronism, as the two were no longer synonymous.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 23, 2018, 05:58:20 AM
Thanks. When I was living in Spain, I saw an editorial in a conservative newspaper that stated that the use of the word "Castillian" to designate Spanish (by the separatist) was an anachronism, as the two were no longer synonymous.

However, that statement is just plainly wrong.

GloriaPatri

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on August 23, 2018, 11:45:39 AM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 23, 2018, 05:58:20 AM

However, that statement is just plainly wrong.

I have to agree. It's like saying that American or British English are not synonymous with English. Castilian is a "regional" variety of Spanish at most, not a distinct language.

Gardener

Here's what I don't understand about Spanish:

Why is it that I can understand a Spanish speaker mangling English like, "es'cue me, pero but you do know where is the booger king?" (excuse me, but do you know where Burger King is?"

But if I don't perfectly roll my r or n on a word in a simple sentence, they act like I spoke to them in Vietnamese.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

Here is an article I found on the Internet
Español o castellano: ¿es lo mismo?
Nosotros nos referimos a nuestro idioma como español. ¿Tú?

13 de julio de 2018. Estandarte.com

Qué: Español o castellano: ¿es lo mismo?

¿Español o castellano? ¿Cuál es la forma correcta de nombrar nuestro idioma? La respuesta es simple, ambas son correctas, aunque la RAE (y nosotros también) recomienda usar "español". Pero no por ello evita que se sucedan las polémicas y discusiones...

Veamos en primer lugar qué dice el Diccionario panhispánico de dudas:

español. Para designar la lengua común de España y de muchas naciones de América, y que también se habla como propia en otras partes del mundo, son válidos los términos castellano y español. La polémica sobre cuál de estas denominaciones resulta más apropiada está hoy superada. El término español resulta más recomendable por carecer de ambigüedad, ya que se refiere de modo unívoco a la lengua que hablan hoy cerca de cuatrocientos millones de personas. Asimismo, es la denominación que se utiliza internacionalmente (Spanish, espagnol, Spanisch, spagnolo, etc.). Aun siendo también sinónimo de español, resulta preferible reservar el término castellano para referirse al dialecto románico nacido en el Reino de Castilla durante la Edad Media, o al dialecto del español que se habla actualmente en esta región. En España, se usa asimismo el nombre castellano cuando se alude a la lengua común del Estado en relación con las otras lenguas cooficiales en sus respectivos territorios autónomos, como el catalán, el gallego o el vasco.

Es decir, diremos siempre español, excepto cuando nos refiramos al dialecto medieval o al que se habla actualmente en Castilla, o cuando queramos diferenciarlo de las demás lenguas cooficiales de España (catalán, gallego y vasco). El principal problema surge por algunas sensibilidades nacionalistas, que optan por hablar de "castellano" mejor que "español", al sentirse ajenas a España como país. Si bien nos puede parecer lícito el sentimiento nacionalista, no creemos que deba desembocar en crear confusión o dotar de connotaciones falsas a una palabra. La polémica confunde aún más a los hablantes por el hecho de que otros sectores nacionalistas catalanes, vascos y gallegos hayan optado por hablar de español frente a sus respectivos idiomas para remarcar la no pertenencia a España de sus territorios. El rizo se riza y da la vuelta... Y nos liamos aún más.

En Estandarte, cuando decimos que hablamos español no estamos despreciando la existencia de otras lenguas cooficiales ni nada que se le parezca: simplemente, nos referimos a la lengua que hablamos como la nombran la inmensa mayoría de los millones de hablantes que este idioma tiene, más allá de nuestro pequeño territorio, España. A no ser que nos encontremos en una conversación en la que se hable en concreto de las diferentes lenguas que se hablan en España, nos referiremos a lo que hablamos como español, no castellano.

Sabemos que éste es uno de esos temas que no dejan del todo contentos a nadie, que invitan a la discusión e, incluso, al enfado... Pero no podíamos dejarlo pasar. Nos han preguntado en ocasiones la diferencia entre español y castellano y por qué hablábamos casi siempre de español. He aquí nuestra respuesta. ¿Cuál es la tuya?
It clearly states that V.O. Is dead wrong!!! Just kidding. Yes, he is right; what it states is that while the two terms are synonymous, its clearer and less ambiguous to use the term "Spanish" when referring to the language spoken by 400 million people and to reserve the term "Castillan" to the dialect spoken during the middle ages in the kingdom of Castille and to the dialect still spoken in this region.
So to quote the angry T.V. Viewer (Gilda Radner) from S.N.L. "Never Mind". 
Ps. Yes, the priest only says: "In the name of the Father" and then keeps pouring water on the baby's head. Clearly invalid.

Gardener

Any idea where this is?

Possible to write the Bishop (in Spanish) and include the video and ask that the Baptism be redone, and all baptisms of this priest be investigated?

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Gardener on August 23, 2018, 02:55:53 PM
Here's what I don't understand about Spanish:

Why is it that I can understand a Spanish speaker mangling English like, "es'cue me, pero but you do know where is the booger king?" (excuse me, but do you know where Burger King is?"

But if I don't perfectly roll my r or n on a word in a simple sentence, they act like I spoke to them in Vietnamese.
I got that a lot in Miami; but that might be that the native English speakers were so hostile to the Spanish speakers that the Spanish speakers automatically assumed that if one looked like a Gringo (like I do), then one was speaking English to them, no matter what came out of one's mouth. I've had the experience of speaking Spanish to a Spanish speaker in Miami (my Spanish is very good), and having the man respond: "I am sorry I no speekee Inglish". !!