What languages do you wish you knew...

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, June 04, 2016, 06:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleur-de-Lys

My husband wants to learn Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Hindi. He wants to know every major world language. He might actually manage it too. He already speaks most of the major European languages, and he's a better language learner than I am, or at least a more dedicated one.

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Fleur-de-Lys

A friend recently directed me to Duolingo. It's a really nice site! I've been using it to keep my Italian and Portuguese active, and I've even started learning Spanish, German, and Russian! I actually tested out of more than half of the Spanish course just using my knowledge of other Romance languages! :D I'm making good progress in German, but Russian is going slowly. I think it's just having to learn a new alphabet. So... I might learn these languages after all!

Lynne

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on June 21, 2016, 12:44:54 PM
A friend recently directed me to Duolingo. It's a really nice site! I've been using it to keep my Italian and Portuguese active, and I've even started learning Spanish, German, and Russian! I actually tested out of more than half of the Spanish course just using my knowledge of other Romance languages! :D I'm making good progress in German, but Russian is going slowly. I think it's just having to learn a new alphabet. So... I might learn these languages after all!

That's great! I have that app on my phone...haven't used it yet...  :(
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Maximilian on June 04, 2016, 08:20:37 PM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on June 04, 2016, 06:07:04 PM
For me, it's Spanish, German, and Russian.

Spanish is the world's easiest language. I know a 20-year old girl who picked up enough Spanish to communicate pretty fluently during a 2-week stay in Mexico City.

I agree with you about German and Russian. I wish I could speak or at least read those languages, but it seems unlikely that I ever will.

Chinese and Korean are also in that category for me.

You were right, Maximilian, Spanish is proving to be very easy. In fact I've already completed the course on Duolingo! Though I still have a lot to learn, I'm surprised how much progress I was able to make in such a short time.

However I wasn't enjoying German and Russian as much as I'd always thought I would, so I gave up on them. Oh well, at least now I don't regret not studying them. It seems they weren't quite right for me after all.

I'd like to try something else in future, but I don't know what. I'm running out of Romance languages!

Bernadette

Japanese and Latin. :( But the Japanese characters are so hard for me to see, that it seems like a waste of time to try learning, only to hit the eventual wall when the time comes where I need to be able to read in order to progress. And Latin is just so much book work, with no listening or actual communicating. :/
My Lord and my God.

Jayne

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 10, 2016, 05:41:34 PM
I'd like to try something else in future, but I don't know what. I'm running out of Romance languages!

I have been enjoying studying Korean a lot.  It is completely unrelated to any other language I have ever studied.  It is not simply learning new grammar and vocabulary; it involves seeing the world a different way.  It has been endlessly fascinating and intriguing.  It is more difficult than any other language I have done but I am enjoying the challenge.  (The exception to the difficulty level is the writing system which is probably the easiest and most logical in the world.)
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Jayne on July 11, 2016, 08:26:48 AM
I have been enjoying studying Korean a lot.  It is completely unrelated to any other language I have ever studied.  It is not simply learning new grammar and vocabulary; it involves seeing the world a different way.  It has been endlessly fascinating and intriguing.  It is more difficult than any other language I have done but I am enjoying the challenge.  (The exception to the difficulty level is the writing system which is probably the easiest and most logical in the world.)

Asian languages are fascinating in themselves, but I'm too prejudiced in favor of European culture to study a non-European language seriously, though it might be fun to know some well enough to order all my favorite take-out. :D

Duolingo is developing a Romanian course. I might try that when it's ready. Otherwise perhaps Catalan, Sicilian, or Sardinian. Lately I'm very interested in comparing and contrasting the various Romance languages in terms of how they developed from Latin.

Maximilian

Quote from: Jayne on July 11, 2016, 08:26:48 AM

Wow, that's impressive. I wish I had put in the effort like you have.

My brother was assigned to Korean at the Defense Language Institute, but it was too hard for him no matter how much he studied, so he was transferred.

The writing system may be logical, but it's also completely unlike any other system in the world, so you have to invest the effort to learn something totally new. It's like you said about getting your brain to work in new ways. Like learning a new mathematical notation. Yes, it's logical, but most people won't be able to get their brains to adopt a new system of thinking.

Knowing the Korean writing system would also have the big advantage of no longer dealing with the myriad variations of romanization systems that produce dozens of different spellings for the same word.

Jayne

Quote from: Maximilian on July 11, 2016, 10:57:17 AM
Knowing the Korean writing system would also have the big advantage of no longer dealing with the myriad variations of romanization systems that produce dozens of different spellings for the same word.

That's right.  The phonology of Korean is too unlike that of English for it to be clearly expressed in our alphabet.  For example, there are 3 different sounds (phonemes) that we would perceive as "p", another 3 as "t" and another 3 as "k".  There is a phoneme that sometimes sounds like "l" and sometimes like "r".   There is another phoneme that sometimes sounds like "s" and sometime like "sh".  You can see the problem.

The Korean writing system, called Hangul, was designed specifically for the Korean language so it works much better. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Greg

I'd like to learn to speak fluent pikey.

I can understand it, mostly.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: Greg on July 12, 2016, 04:20:12 PM

Is it similar to shelta? A friend of mine from Ireland speaks a little shelta.

Prayerful

Quote from: Ulrich Von Lichtenstein on July 18, 2016, 02:25:43 AM
Quote from: Greg on July 12, 2016, 04:20:12 PM

Is it similar to shelta? A friend of mine from Ireland speaks a little shelta.

Travellers have accents like no others, but in addition they might use an argot to keep the conversation to travellers. So it can be.

This is fine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelta
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.