Predictions for 2019

Started by Mono no aware, January 02, 2019, 09:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Last year at this time Greg made a thread soliciting 2018 predictions.  Most of us who offered any got them wrong.  The Patriots didn't win the Super Bowl and the Ireland abortion referendum passed.  A lot of them were phrased in too cautious or ambiguous a manner to determine.  Congratulations to King Wenceslas for his pinpoint accuracy on a solid claim: "January 1, 2019: the sun will rise in the morning on the East Coast of the United States and set on the West Coast of the United States."  (I like how it left open the possibility that other continents besides North America might not be in existence).

Actually, Lambda Phage seems to have fared the best in terms of serious predictions, getting at least two of his three correct.  james03 bravely offered quite a few but I don't think any of them can be said to have happened.  Russiagate is still active, pedophilia is not big news, and Obama, Soros, Podesta, and Hillary didn't go down.  John McCain, I suppose, did go down (into the ground, that is).  My own did not come to pass, but I think it was a decent bet and I will renew it for 2019:

Mike Pence will become the 46th President of the United States.

Josephine87

Impeachment or assassination?
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

King Wenceslas

I won't repeat what I did before. Too easy.

Come January 1, 2020, Donald Trump will still be President Donald Trump which means the government will still be in a shambles. Great theater though.

King Wenceslas

Second prediction:

By January 1, 2020 PF will have (tried) overturned another doctrine or discipline of the Church. My guess is women deacons or married priests.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: King Wenceslas on January 02, 2019, 02:02:02 PM
By January 1, 2020 PF will have (tried) overturned another doctrine or discipline of the Church. My guess is women deacons or married priests.

Oddly, I suspect the homosexualization of the clergy more-or-less ensures that mandatory celibacy for standard Latin Rite priests isn't going anywhere. That would spell the end of the grooming club.

Heinrich

The Red Sox and Patriots win championships; the Wall build begins, shooting deaths ensue, i.e. border battles domestic and foreign ushering in military strikes on and into Mexico with with extreme prejudice. Illegal immigration comes to an almost full stop. Americans, black and white, emboldened to demolish leeches. Fighting spreads to major Western cities, Deplorables with AR15s shatter Antifa, illegal alien and other assorted leftist groups. Stocks tank, deflation hits, Trump forced out of office. This flows into 2020, wherein full civil war ensues. Many innocents die at the hands of liberal factions, but retaliation is crushing. One major Continental country votes to leave EU, civil war there too.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

King Wenceslas

Quote from: Heinrich on January 02, 2019, 02:17:24 PM
The Red Sox and Patriots win championships; the Wall build begins, shooting deaths ensue, i.e. border battles domestic and foreign ushering in military strikes on and into Mexico with with extreme prejudice. Illegal immigration comes to an almost full stop. Americans, black and white, emboldened to demolish leeches. Fighting spreads to major Western cities, Deplorables with AR15s shatter Antifa, illegal alien and other assorted leftist groups. Stocks tank, deflation hits, Trump forced out of office. This flows into 2020, wherein full civil war ensues. Many innocents die at the hands of liberal factions, but retaliation is crushing. One major Continental country votes to leave EU, civil war there too.

Really. Not going to happen.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Josephine87 on January 02, 2019, 11:59:04 AM
Impeachment or assassination?

Resignation, most probably, whether from impeachment, scandal, some political disaster he can't live down, or having had enough of the assaults on him (which will increase now with a Democratic congress).  Assassination is the least likely way of his presidency ending.  After the Helsinki press conference, I do wonder if the fabled "Muscovian pee tape" might actually exist.  That would be a scandal he couldn't survive—although, then again, he is Trump, so possibly he can survive anything.  I just think he brings so many variables to the scene that his presidency is far less stable than any of his predecessors.

Oddly, if he makes it to 2020 and things stay more or less on course, I would bet on him winning the election as an incumbent.  I don't see anyone in the presumptive field of Democrats who he couldn't beat.  2016 proved he is a mad genius when it comes to modern campaigning and playing the media.  Trump v. Biden would be colorful, but Trump would pull it out.  If he ends up drawing a Kamala Harris or an Elizabeth Warren, then it is game over.  Trump would even get the popular vote.

Heinrich

Per my prediction, a sizable democratic constituency will cease to exist by then. But then again, many dead folk voted for Hellary in '16. Be interesting.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Matto

I predict the Yankees will win the World Series. And that Trump will seize power and become a dictator and democracy in the United States will come to an end.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..

Mono no aware

I'll make three more.

1.  Pope Francis creates a female Cardinal.

2.  The New York Yankees win the World Series.

3.  One of the following dies: Olivia de Havilland, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, or one of the two remaining Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr.

:o

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Pon de Replay on January 02, 2019, 02:43:37 PM
Oddly, if he makes it to 2020 and things stay on more or less on course, I would bet on him winning the election as an incumbent.  I don't see anyone in the presumptive field of Democrats who he couldn't beat.  2016 proved that he is a mad genius when it comes to modern campaigning and playing the media.  Trump v. Biden would be colorful, but Trump would pull it out.  If he ends up drawing a Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren, then it is game over.  Trump would even get the popular vote.

I really, really hope that Elizabeth Warren gets the nomination.  The entertainment value would make my year. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Maximilian

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on January 02, 2019, 03:01:28 PM

I really, really hope that (Trump) Elizabeth Warren gets the nomination.  The entertainment value would make my year.

Exact words of many, many Democrats 3 years ago

Acolyte

Quote from: Pon de Replay on January 02, 2019, 09:55:45 AM

Mike Pence will become the 46th President of the United States.

I hope you're right about that.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Heinrich