What language is this?

Started by Gardener, April 14, 2018, 01:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

https://funnyjunk.com/channel/cute/Some+neat+dance/LrjwLYe/

Nice song. Catchy. Is it typical of the folk music of whatever region this is from as far as language?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

martin88nyc

sounds like Hungarian. I am pretty sure it is Hungarian or a similar Slavic language
They use a lot of "sh" in their pronunciation, just as us Poles.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Gardener

I was leaning towards Hungarian as well, since it's rather unique.

Any other thoughts, or someone who knows for sure?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

sedmohradsko

It's Mari.  Distantly related to Hungarian, but closer to Finnish and Estonian.

Michael Wilson

She's singing in English with a heavy New York accent.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Gardener

Quote from: sedmohradsko on August 02, 2018, 11:23:50 AM
It's Mari.  Distantly related to Hungarian, but closer to Finnish and Estonian.

What's the song about, if you happen to understand it?

sedmohradsko

Quote from: Gardener on August 02, 2018, 02:58:22 PM
What's the song about, if you happen to understand it?

I don't.  I recognized the language as Uralic sounding, and the dress looks like cultural clothing from the central Urals, so I just started googling "X Uralic language song" and when I got to Mari, this video was the 2nd or 3rd that popped up.

The first one I tried was Mordvin, I thought this song was cool sounding:

And this song in Tatar.  It has kind of a Russian pop sound to it, but the language is pretty:

Here's a Kalmyk song.  You can really hear the closeness to Mongolian in it.

And here's a Khanty song.  There aren't many people who speak it left, but it is one of two languages that are the closest to Hungarian.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: sedmohradsko on August 02, 2018, 03:19:33 PM
And this song in Tatar. It has kind of a Russian pop sound to it, but the language is pretty:

It sounds very similar to Turkish.

You can instantly recognize it if you're familiar with the sounds and words of Turkish. They're both from the same family.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.