FS: Ebay - 1964 Collegeville Breviary - Latin English Divine Office

Started by Kaesekopf, October 31, 2013, 11:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Roland Deschain

'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa

Kaesekopf

note i am not the seller.

but, yeah, getting that set for $100 or even $150 is a steal.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

moneil

Good luck, and a  :pray2: that you win Roland!

I added it to my watch list as I'm curious as to its final price but I'll not be bidding againist you, so don't worry about that.

Back in July I won a 1964 THE ROMAN BREVIARY, one volumn in English, published by Benziger Brothers, for $62.75, which suited me as I have little literacy in Latin.  I notice that a copy of this same edition is again on e-bay, now at $179.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Roman-Breviary-An-Approved-English-Translation-Complete-in-One-Volume-/131024089067?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item1e81a4efeb.  I feel really blessed to have won the copy I did at the price.  It is my understanding that this was the first time an "official full" breviary had been authorized to be printed in just English.

On "the other hand", a few years ago when I wanted to move away from the Liturgy of the Hours but didn't want to pay $hundreds for the Collegeville (when one could find a complete set in usable condition) I settled on "A Short Breviary for Religious and the Laity", also by Collegeville.  When I saw one on e-bay (the Third Regular Edition, 1962) I got caught up in a bidding frenzy and paid almost $80 for it.  Though my copy has a lot of inked notes in it and I had to make new ribbons it is very serviceable.  Still,  I subsequently see them regularly selling on e-bay for $20 - $40 and last July I picked up a much nicer copy for just $10.50. 

Roland Deschain

'Since Moses was alone, by having been stripped as it were of the people's fear, he boldly approached the very darkness itself and entered the invisible things where he was no longer seen by those watching. After he entered the inner sanctuary of the divine mystical doctrine, there, while not being seen, he was in company with the Invisible. He teaches, I think, by the things he did that the one who is going to associate intimately with God must go beyond all that is visible and—lifting up his own mind, as to a mountaintop, to the invisible and incomprehensible—believe that the divine is there where the understanding does not reach.'

—St Gregory of Nyssa