11 years ago this day: Summorum Pontificum went into effect.

Started by Xavier, September 14, 2018, 05:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

On Sept 14th, 2007, Summorum Pontificum went into effect. If only Catholics saw this important Papal document recognizes the right of any and every Priest or Bishop anywhere in the world - freely and without the slightest scruple or fear of any unjust sanction - to begin even tomorrow offering the True Mass in the dioceses, we could have 10,000 Priests saying the TLM within 10 years and 100,000 within 20. Then, none of the Catholic faithful anywhere in the world would have to be without the true Mass of Tradition. Why do some people oppose SP simply because it did not go far enough?

SP: "In Masses celebrated without a congregation, any Catholic priest of the Latin rite, whether secular or religious, may use either the Roman Missal published in 1962 by Blessed John XXIII, or the Roman Missal promulgated in 1970 by Pope Paul VI, and may do so on any day, with the exception of the Easter Triduum (when Masses without a congregation are not allowed). For such a celebration with either Missal, the Priest need no permission from the Apostolic See or from his own Ordinary."

Latin Mass Society of Ireland: "We are very grateful to the Pope for enriching the life of the Church in this way and for enhancing legitimate liturgical diversity. In doing this Pope Benedict is building on the foundation laid by his predecessor Pope John Paul II in his 1988 motu proprio Ecclesia Dei Adflicta."

Latin Mass society of England and Wales: "The Latin Mass Society of England and Wales said: "Thirty-seven years ago, the Latin Mass Society was denounced by The Universe newspaper for its attachment to the Traditional Latin Rite under the banner headline, 'Latin Madness'. Today, the loyalty, determination and sufferings of the Traditional faithful have been vindicated by Pope Benedict XVI's wise and pastoral motu proprio. This [decision] puts an end to the discrimination, marginalisation and exclusion which, too often, Traditional Catholics have suffered. ... However, now is the time for the 'interior reconciliation in the heart of the Church' for which Pope Benedict calls."

It authorizes all Priests to use all traditional rites. Universae Ecclesiae which was released on May 13, 2011 went even further.

We Trads are our own worst enemies if we refuse to pray for and firmly support good men like His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI.

The Church would be very different today if he were still Pope. Those who could didn't stand with him, so he didn't stand for us.

QuoteWiki:FSSP
The Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (FSSP), which exclusively celebrates the Traditional Latin Mass, "rejoice[d] at the publication of the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum. In reaffirming the essential place of the liturgy itself in the transmission of the faith, in stating that the Missal of Blessed John XXIII may be used by all priests, and especially in encouraging the use of all four liturgical books in force in 1962, the text opens to the whole Church the treasures of these rites." The motu proprio was issued on the first anniversary of the election of the Fraternity's current superior general, Fr. John Berg. The Fraternity further announced that it would "continue to look to serve the needs of the Church, and hopes that the success of the chapels and parishes already erected in the last 19 years in so many dioceses will provide encouraging examples for the document's implementation. Our deepest gratitude to His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. Dominus conservet eum, et vivificet eum. [May the Lord preserve him, and give him life.]"

SSPX
The Priestly Society of Saint Pius X, which was consulted by Pope Benedict during the process, said in a statement that it "extends its deep gratitude to (Pope Benedict) for this great spiritual benefit" and "rejoices to see the Church thus regain her liturgical Tradition, and give the possibility of a free access to the treasure of the Traditional Mass ... (for those) who had so far been deprived of it". The Society, however, points out that "difficulties still remain".
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Kaesekopf

You'll have an interesting time in sspx seminary if you like Benedict was a friend to tradition.

He resigned because he couldn't hack it.  The Church would be no different.  Besides that, he took soft stances against rapey dudes. 

Also, your numbers are wildly ...  wild.   

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The Harlequin King

I think time will force us to give a more honest re-evaluation of Pope Benedict XVI, especially if the recently leaked dossier is the real deal.

Nevertheless, Summorum Pontificum remains worth celebrating, no matter who issued it.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 14, 2018, 07:22:52 AM
You'll have an interesting time in sspx seminary if you like Benedict was a friend to tradition.

He resigned because he couldn't hack it.  The Church would be no different.  Besides that, he took soft stances against rapey dudes. 

It is undeniable that Cardinal Ratzinger was part and parcel -- a key builder -- of V2.  Theories may abound as to why, as BXVI, he resigned.  It may be that he had, interiorly, mild or profound regrets about the visible consequences that resulted from his actions as Cardinal -- that he saw that clergy were using V2 as a weapon to dismantle tradition, and so he tried to reinstate its rightful place of primacy.  But it was too little, too late, and he was no leader.  Furthermore, I'll bet both the V2 cheerleaders and the sodomites came at him with everything they had, basically letting him know he had lost the fight, and lost it some time ago; the Church was on a trajectory that had gained momentum and his two choices were to get on board or resign.

Note that in the Fr R recent (Sept. 1) interview I posted, Father links modernism with the culture of sodomy, protection, and lies.  The devaluing of the special character of the priest (along with the obligations of striving for sanctity within that special state), the movement away from objective qualifications for priesthood to subjective ones -- these were two primary dynamics that supported the sodomitical culture within the Church and the Vatican itself.

Back to BXVI:  His Hermeneutic of Continuity has never been adequately demonstrated to anyone who has been trained in logic and in traditional Catholic theology.  The continuity is not there, no matter the attempt to manipulate the words to mean something other than what they plainly mean and plainly suggest.

The way to restoring the dignity of the priesthood in practice, in perception, and in potential, is to restore Tradition.   There is no other way.

Prayerful

In his Jesus of Nazareth BXVI suggests it is likely isn't historical that the Jewish crowd in Matthew's acct of the trial of Jesus put a curse on themselves, and there are other instances of Modernist statements. There was a sense of fleeing not fighting. That being said, he was the first Conciliar Pope not to give the impression of wanting to destroy more. His hermeneutic of Continuity is probably at least a way of tactfully forgetting the atrocity and crime which was V2, athough maybe not to his way of thinking. Although too little was done against some atrocious JP2 officeholders like Danneels, there were many good appointments. Many efforts to launched and were sustained in support of the True Mass. Some like the Franciscan of the Immaculate were vindictively persecuted by the Argentine atheist, but at least many good seeds were sown.

Benedict was a suit wearing peritus at the Council yet soon after was repelled by the results of it. JP2 had supported the traditional effort at V2, yet as Pope did not too much, except a sort of partial TLM legalisation in '84. Still that meant TLM near me every day, so that was good. He did much that was good. May God protect Benedict.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Counter Revolutionary

Benedict XVI's Summorum Pontificum is objectionable in the highest degree. Just read it!:

QuoteThis document was most directly opposed on account of two fears, which I would like to address somewhat more closely in this letter.

In the first place, there is the fear that the document detracts from the authority of the Second Vatican Council, one of whose essential decisions – the liturgical reform – is being called into question.

This fear is unfounded.
In this regard, it must first be said that the Missal published by Paul VI and then republished in two subsequent editions by John Paul II, obviously is and continues to be the normal Form – the Forma ordinaria – of the Eucharistic Liturgy. The last version of the Missale Romanum prior to the Council, which was published with the authority of Pope John XXIII in 1962 and used during the Council, will now be able to be used as a Forma extraordinaria of the liturgical celebration. It is not appropriate to speak of these two versions of the Roman Missal as if they were "two Rites". Rather, it is a matter of a twofold use of one and the same rite.

The Immemorial Roman Rite of Mass and the Novus Ordo Rite are two different rites. It is a tremendous falsehood to claim that they are "one and the same rite". Not only are the two rites substantially different, the Novus Ordo Rite is illicit and this irrespective of the question of whether or not it is valid. The Council of Trent defines as an infallible dogma:

QuoteIf anyone says that the received and approved rites of the Catholic Church, accustomed to be used in the solemn administration of the sacraments, may be despised or omitted by ministers without sin and at their pleasure, or may be changed by any pastor of the churches, whomsoever, to other new ones, let him be anathema.
Session VII, On the Sacraments, Canon XIII

The Novus Ordo Rite is, unlike the Immemorial Roman Rite of Mass, a novelty not received from apostolic tradition. No pastor, whomsoever, had the authority to create a new rite of Mass. Bl. Pius IX said the following in his Profession of Faith at Vatican I:
I likewise receive and accept the rites of the Catholic Church which have been received and approved in the solemn administration of all the aforesaid sacraments.

Likewise all other things which have been transmitted, defined and declared by the sacred canons and the ecumenical councils, especially the sacred Trent, I accept unhesitatingly and profess; in the same way whatever is to the contrary, and whatever heresies have been condemned, rejected and anathematized by the Church, I too condemn, reject and anathematize.

Pope St. Pius V wrote in Quo Primum:

QuoteLet all everywhere adopt and observe what has been handed down by the Holy Roman Church, the Mother and Teacher of the other churches, and let Masses not be sung or read according to any other formula than that of this Missal published by Us. This ordinance applies henceforth, now, and forever...no one whosoever is permitted to alter this notice of Our permission, statute, ordinance, command, precept, grant, indult, declaration, will, decree, and prohibition. Would anyone, however, presume to commit such an act, he should know that he will incur the wrath of Almighty God and of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul.
"Invincible ignorance is a punishment for sin." - St. Thomas Aquinas (De Infid. q. x., art. 1.)

Kaesekopf

Quote from: The Harlequin King on September 14, 2018, 08:09:35 AM
I think time will force us to give a more honest re-evaluation of Pope Benedict XVI, especially if the recently leaked dossier is the real deal.

Nevertheless, Summorum Pontificum remains worth celebrating, no matter who issued it.
Hearty yes to your second Para!

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Counter Revolutionary on September 14, 2018, 12:53:46 PM
Benedict XVI's Summorum Pontificum is objectionable in the highest degree. Just read it!:

QuoteThis document was most directly opposed on account of two fears, which I would like to address somewhat more closely in this letter.

In the first place, there is the fear that the document detracts from the authority of the Second Vatican Council, one of whose essential decisions – the liturgical reform – is being called into question.

This fear is unfounded.
In this regard, it must first be said that the Missal published by Paul VI and then republished in two subsequent editions by John Paul II, obviously is and continues to be the normal Form – the Forma ordinaria – of the Eucharistic Liturgy. The last version of the Missale Romanum prior to the Council, which was published with the authority of Pope John XXIII in 1962 and used during the Council, will now be able to be used as a Forma extraordinaria of the liturgical celebration. It is not appropriate to speak of these two versions of the Roman Missal as if they were "two Rites". Rather, it is a matter of a twofold use of one and the same rite.

The Immemorial Roman Rite of Mass and the Novus Ordo Rite are two different rites. It is a tremendous falsehood to claim that they are "one and the same rite". Not only are the two rites substantially different, the Novus Ordo Rite is illicit and this irrespective of the question of whether or not it is valid. The Council of Trent defines as an infallible dogma:

QuoteIf anyone says that the received and approved rites of the Catholic Church, accustomed to be used in the solemn administration of the sacraments, may be despised or omitted by ministers without sin and at their pleasure, or may be changed by any pastor of the churches, whomsoever, to other new ones, let him be anathema.

The Novus Ordo Rite is, unlike the Immemorial Roman Rite of Mass, a novelty not received from apostolic tradition. No pastor, whomsoever, had the authority to create a new rite of Mass. Bl. Pius IX said the following in his Profession of Faith at Vatican I:
I likewise receive and accept the rites of the Catholic Church which have been received and approved in the solemn administration of all the aforesaid sacraments.

Likewise all other things which have been transmitted, defined and declared by the sacred canons and the ecumenical councils, especially the sacred Trent, I accept unhesitatingly and profess; in the same way whatever is to the contrary, and whatever heresies have been condemned, rejected and anathematized by the Church, I too condemn, reject and anathematize.

QuoteLet all everywhere adopt and observe what has been handed down by the Holy Roman Church, the Mother and Teacher of the other churches, and let Masses not be sung or read according to any other formula than that of this Missal published by Us. This ordinance applies henceforth, now, and forever...no one whosoever is permitted to alter this notice of Our permission, statute, ordinance, command, precept, grant, indult, declaration, will, decree, and prohibition. Would anyone, however, presume to commit such an act, he should know that he will incur the wrath of Almighty God and of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul.
Quo primum arguments are the weakest ones, to be honest. 

Counter Revolutionary

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 14, 2018, 01:31:32 PM
Quo primum arguments are the weakest ones, to be honest. 

It is a weaker argument in comparison with the infallible dogmatic definition I referenced from Trent. That is why I started with dogma and saved Quo Primum for the end of my post. The two, the dogmatic definition and Quo Primum, are perfectly consonant with each other, however.
"Invincible ignorance is a punishment for sin." - St. Thomas Aquinas (De Infid. q. x., art. 1.)

clau clau

You buy a new car which you need to get to work.  The car is reliable, functional and fuel efficient.

The government passes a law where you have to swap your car for car with no windows which has no fuel gauge and randomly breaks down and has no passenger seats.

40 years later the government allows you to rent the original car 1 day out of every 5.

Huge numbers of people rally to thank the government for their great benevolence.

Not me.  I want them to apologise to my Mum first.    >:(

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Christe Eleison

Thank God for Summorum Pontificum! :thumbsup:

Thank you, Xavier for the thread & reminder. God bless you! :pray2:

Prayerful

Quote from: Counter Revolutionary on September 14, 2018, 12:53:46 PM

This fear is unfounded.

Even in Latin (say in Rome and some contexts like congregations like the Oratorians) the NOM is certainly something different, with a heavily edited lectionary, a mix of newly composed and tendentious edits of propers, and a severely problematic ordinary with God knows how many Eucharistic Prayers. I still think it should be seen as a well meant way to give the Mass a clear status in the diocesan context, a sort of legal fix. Now too many bishops remains deeply hostile (here in Ireland some of the Maynooth queers turned Conciliar bishops refuse to allow it), but it showed Catholics that the Mass isn't something with a lisping old man in polyester surrounded by burly middle aged women.

The final words of Quo Primum are supposedly directed to those who might restore some unauthorised late medieval adulterations like extra sequences, in print copies, a sort of boilerplate warning, yet the ordinary, the canon somehow survived intact until Papa Roncalli started his fateful tampering. We have been more than cursed as a result of tampering.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Larry

I think one of the most shocking things about the VII debacle is queers willfully wearing polyester.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Larry on September 15, 2018, 11:42:11 AM
I think one of the most shocking things about the VII debacle is queers willfully wearing polyester.

I was thinking about that. You'd think with all these gays in the priesthood, they'd at least have good taste in vestments and sacred music. Nope.