Fr Haydock's Commentary

Started by jovan66102, May 20, 2018, 09:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Quote from: jovan66102 on May 24, 2018, 10:47:39 AM
Yes, but a myhq page could be accessible to all members of SD (and the public, if we so choose), unlike the bookmarks on your computer.

Ah, I see. So a crowd-sourced bookmark resource. Got it. Dunno what would be best. For stuff like that in the enterprise environments we just use SharePoint to consolidate.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Non Nobis

Quote from: Gardener on May 24, 2018, 10:07:10 AM
I have no idea what that application is.

I just utilize the browser's bookmark feature and make separate folders as needed, and then place bookmarks with labels to help me remember what something is (in other words, I rarely use the default label).

I do also, but I don't keep them well organized. Catholic folders are mingled with other folders and with files I bookmarked outside of any folder. Plus the bookmarks sometimes aren't carried over when I move to a new PC (I know there are ways to do this).  The idea of using myhq would be to have a shareable carefully organized online reference shelf with only "the best" Catholic links to online books that would be desirable on any traditional Catholic's shelf (exactly what these include is open to question).

Myhq is very old technology (its sign up interface is not pretty) and I'm just getting a blank page when I try to register. Not that old is bad, but it is not as well supported or discussed online.  And multi-level folders are a plus with firefox (etc) bookmarking. (But there is something simple about myhq that attracts me).

Maybe some other online shareable bookmark manager could be used for a SD library. I think it could be carefully setup and maintained rather than "free for all". People could submit ideas for what should be in it.

Just some ideas.  Maybe just using your own bookmarking is sufficient and most practical.

(Added after reading Gardener's post)

I don't know about Sharepoint, not being in an enterprise environment! It's hard to say what might be overkill for what we would need... and how far we would want to go (e.g. managing editable documents not just urls).
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Gardener

I'm not saying to run a sharepoint for this. I'm just saying that it's the only thing I'm familiar with insofar as a community-accessible resource.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Non Nobis

Since I'm not able to register on myhq, I'm going to try www.draggo.com that lets you create your own page of bookmarks with a somewhat hierarchical arrangement (not unlimited multi-level nesting). It does let you add links via a browser button.

This will be just for my own use, to start, although it will be publicly accessible. I might keep relevant traditionalist links in the "public" folders and my own personal links in "private" folders.

Here's a sample of someone else's  draggo page (to give you a better idea):

http://www.draggo.com/kdelizza

It's not really community-accessible in the sense of allowing multiple people to add entries, only in the sense that any website is accessible. So it's "just another place for traditionalist Catholic links". Definitely unsophisticated. It is also in a "beta" version, and it's not obvious that it will be updated, but it has a more modern look-and-feel than myhq. (But you figured most of that out by looking at the sample)

But perhaps the suscipedomine community could offer ideas for its folders and bookmarks, even if it is realistically used mostly or only by me.

Maybe straightening out my own browser bookmarks would be a better idea for me, but I thought I would experiment with this. To tell the truth I don't even know yet whether I can register on draggo yet!

But Jovan you could probably do better with myhq... Myhq does have the advantage of showing more bookmarks on one page, and not having ads.

Obviously there are also other bookmark managers out there...
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!