Observations on recent trends

Started by Bonaventure, January 24, 2017, 12:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

As mentioned in forum rules and by moderation elsewhere, the sedevacantist thesis is allowed to be discussed and debated on our forum, and sedevacantists are free to post here. We view sedes, as we do all others, as Catholics, unless we see specific truth as to why they are not in the Church (formal heresy, schism, excommunication, etc.) The forum looks to the times of the Great Western Schism, noting that Sts. Catherine of Siena and Vincent Ferrer differed on their views of the Roman Pontiff, yet remained in communion with another. This is true Charity, love which comes from God, and His grace.

With that said, I've noticed some disturbing trends in this subforum recently. Several discussions have become quite nasty, and we would like this to end.

I have noticed that Eastern "Orthodox" prosyletism has been common, but with the departure of a forum member, this should no longer be the case. In any event, this subforum is not for the use of anyone, including "Orthodox," to attempt to lure others from the Church. The admin. and my fellow moderator are not sedevacantists. Personally, I formally adhered to the theory for several years, but now have a more nuanced view. I no longer belong to any "camp," but believe that Catholics of good will can doubt the present status of the Pontificate. If done in good will and for the salvation of one's soul, I do not see that as sinful.

Moreover, I have noticed one poster who disdains the First Vatican Council, and places much of the blame for our modern dilemma on this Council. Not liking certain trends in the Church is fine, but we will not accept any attacks on the orthodoxy or legitimacy of Vatican I. If one wants to be an Old Catholic, they are free to do so. Do not post here.

Lastly, I've noticed that scholasticism and St. Thomas have been trashed by a specific user. This will not be accepted here. Yes, one can belong to another theological school of thought, but for 800 years, the Church has used the Angelic Doctor as the gold standard of the Queen of Sciences. One can admire the Fathers, be a Molinist, and so on. Look at my username, and know that I prefer to be Jesuitical theologically, to know where I personally stand. The admin and my fellow mod are much more Dominican than I am.  However, no attacks on scholasticism or St. Thomas are permitted.

Happy Posting!
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."