Anyone here got a Roomba?

Started by Greg, January 02, 2018, 02:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

My wife is begging me to buy a robot vacuum cleaner.

I am wondering whether I am just buying more house clutter that needs to be serviced, charged, cleaned, and dealt with?

Anyone here own a robotic vacuum cleaner?  Mostly interested in men's opinion because they are the schmucks who have to keep these things working.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Gardener

My buddy has two types. I cannot remember the brand(s) and which he prefers. I know one is like a real vacuum and the other is like a sweeper (has the suction power of an asthmatic smoker).

He has dog which sheds like crazy, so they get a workout.

I'll find out which he prefers and report back.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Gardener

Sent:
QuoteCannot remember the two types of robot vacuums you have... and which is better.

Can you advise?

He replied:

Neato botvac much better than Roomba

I've seen both in action and the neato botvac is definitely better than the Roomba. Were they not 700 bucks new, I'd have one. He got his at a pawn shop, unused, for like $100 cus he is good at finding (((deals))).

ETA: appears they have a $400 USD model: https://www.amazon.com/Neato-Botvac-Robot-Vacuum-Allergies/dp/B00XELDPL8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514906720&sr=8-3&keywords=neato+botvac

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

I'd love to get one, I hear that cats like to ride on them.  :D
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MundaCorMeum

don't y'all have 7 or 8 kids?  Y'all already have plenty of roombas  :P ::) #makeakiddoit

Greg

Thanks,

I am more interested in practical experiences of these.  For example, I have 7 dining chairs and a bench that I will need to lift up and the floor has ALWAYS got bits of Lego and pen lids and other child detritus on it.  By the time you have "prepared" the room for the robot to vacuum are you better off just vacuuming yourself?

Seems like $700 of annoying shit that I'll end up spending a day changing the batteries on in 18 months time (plus another $150 for the batteries).  And this puppy then has to live somewhere too.

I'm thinking, maybe, just make the kids do it after every meal.  Beat them with a stick if I need to motivate them.

Humans can sweep between chair legs without needing to move them and can avoid Lego. The floor doesn't need to be perfect just no visible food scraps between meals.

I have 6 kids and the oldest one is autistic and 2 are too young to be useful.  So practically I only have 2 that are less hassle than a Roomba.  And one of those 2 is a boy, so while he is good at vacuuming (very good), he acts like he has liberated Paris and often leaves his tools where he left them.  The daughter is out at so many events and part-time jobs that she could probably only vacuum 30% of the time.

It's a complex equation of house-proud versus practicality, versus me tripping over another piece of Chinese junk at night, versus having a $700 door stop in 24 months time versus nagging the children.  That's what I want an overall impression of a user.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jayne

Quote from: Lynne on January 02, 2018, 10:00:06 AM

As I understand it, the main advantage of roombas is that one can make funny videos.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk4XB2wZqF4[/yt]
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

ServusMariae

Quote from: Jayne on January 02, 2018, 11:22:27 AM
Quote from: Lynne on January 02, 2018, 10:00:06 AM

As I understand it, the main advantage of roombas is that one can make funny videos.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk4XB2wZqF4[/yt]

my heart is melting ... :swoon2:

Chestertonian

We have one and my wife loves it.  You really want even floor surfaces.  We have the kind that mops hardwood floors my chair plus two boys can leave a lot of dirt on the floors.  I'm not sure if you have a big 2 story house but for an apartment with no carpet it works

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Greg

I have wood, marble, tile and lino downstairs and carpet upstairs.

I'd just use it for downstairs.

I might "rent" one see what they work like and then return it if it is more hassle that it is worth.

MundaCorMeum

honestly, with a house full of kids, there is no "easy, convenient solution".  You're fighting a losing battle no matter what.... whether you do it, wife does it, kids do it, or a Roomba does it.  While I've never used one myself, I do have a friend with 5 kids and a dog that has one.  She says she loves it, but I'll be frank...her floors look just as dirty as mine do when I go over.  My only impression is that it doesn't do a better job than a regular, old broom, and it costs more.  Plus, it seems like it would just end up being a toy for toddlers and very small children to break.

Greg

Yep, I can't see the children leaving it alone unless it comes out after bedtime.  My 2 year old is a savage.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Chestertonian

well there goes my desire to ever get a dog.......
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Gardener

Quote from: Chestertonian on January 02, 2018, 03:09:03 PM
well there goes my desire to ever get a dog.......

I got over my desire to have a dog by havng a dog when I was younger. And friends and family who still have dogs. Dogs are for one thing only: work. And they stay outside. No dog for me, ever, unless it's a farm dog meant for a task. And the task it will do.

Never own an animal you're not willing to shoot in the head for the slightest provocation.