Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Sunset Boulevard on Blu-ray, mainly because it has a very memorable scene set on New Year's Eve.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Michael Wilson

Just finished watching "Despicable Me 2" Laughed my head off all through the movie. Of Course Gru will not only be nominated for an academy award, but this time he will win it (If forces of evil do not stop it).  the Little minions are even better this time.
The little children are adorable and I don't want to add any spoilers.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Clare

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the '50s version)
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Clare on January 02, 2014, 03:34:31 AM
That was a scary movie!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Larry

What a great movie, made on a shoestring budget. The remake is good too, but way more pessimistic.

Elizabeth

The first part of an old black-and-white Spanish movie about St. Theresa of Avila.  Remarkable actress.  I am left hanging because there seem to be no more English subtitled episodes available.  It is surprisingly well done so far.

Clare

Quote from: Larry S. on January 02, 2014, 10:14:36 AM

What a great movie, made on a shoestring budget. The remake is good too, but way more pessimistic.
Yes, I'd seen the Donald Sutherland movie on TV some years ago. The older one was quite different, and the ending more hopeful.

The armchair moral theologian in me tends to watch films like this, regretting the fact that the heroes are divorced. But then realising that their spouses are probably cloned by the end, so they may be eligible to marry each other after all!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Larry

Quote from: Clare on January 02, 2014, 02:39:50 PM
Quote from: Larry S. on January 02, 2014, 10:14:36 AM

Yes, I'd seen the Donald Sutherland movie on TV some years ago. The older one was quite different, and the ending more hopeful.

The armchair moral theologian in me tends to watch films like this, regretting the fact that the heroes are divorced. But then realising that their spouses are probably cloned by the end, so they may be eligible to marry each other after all!

Whenever I watch an old movie where divorced people get together, I always assume they were previously in an invalid civil marriage. But yes, this particular movie has its own special circumstances! :lol:

Pheo

Just watched this on Netflix:

For the most part this documents time spent with a Siberian sable trapper - and the title couldn't have been more appropriate.  It's definitely not an easy life, but it is a very honest one.  These men work with their hands, are almost entirely self-relient, and are pretty intimately connected to God's Creation (it's scary to think how many people in North America have never even planted a seed in a garden).

This isn't helping my urge to go live off the grid somewhere ;D
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Clare

Arsenic & Old Lace

A challenging film for the inner moral theologian!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

OCLittleFlower

War and Peace (1956) with Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda. 

Good movie -- I'd wanted to watch it for a while but when I saw it was leaving Netflix on Jan 1, I spent a chunk of time on the 31st watching it.

And, of course, I didn't consider the possibility of battle scenes, and ended up with my parents' Rottweiler on my lap, shaking in fear.  :tongue:
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Larry

Quote from: Clare on January 03, 2014, 04:02:03 PM
Arsenic & Old Lace

The Brewster sisters are nuts, so they aren't guilty of serious sin. Maybe.  :tongue:

Clare

Quote from: Larry S. on January 03, 2014, 04:12:11 PM
Arsenic & Old Lace

The Brewster sisters are nuts, so they aren't guilty of serious sin. Maybe.  :tongue:
Yes, and they're totally honest and not remotely malicious. But what would have been the correct action for Mortimer to take? I think the sanitarium was probably the best place for them.

Does moral theology ruin films??
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Larry

Quote from: Clare on January 03, 2014, 04:23:42 PM
Quote from: Larry S. on January 03, 2014, 04:12:11 PM
Arsenic & Old Lace

Yes, and they're totally honest and not remotely malicious. But what would have been the correct action for Mortimer to take? I think the sanitarium was probably the best place for them.

Does moral theology ruin films??

I try not to think about it too much, especially older movies from more simple times. :)

Gerard

More on Man of Steel (was just watching some favorite scenes)

The Christ image is so strong in this film.  I'm noticing more each time. 

This scene is Superman against the "World Engine" which is an invention designed to transform the world into a New World of Krypton. 

You'll notice that Superman in his effort to "overcome the world (engine)"  is giving everything of himself to save the world. 

At that point, you'll notice the wide angle shot of him standing in a Cross of light.

The other touching scene is the cutaway to the destruction in Metropolis where Perry White won't leave a trapped Jenny Olsen to die alone even though it looks like it means his own certain death. 

The music accompaniment is simple, elegant and epic. 

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJW4d7DE3vA[/yt]