Rational Self Interest Explained

Started by Probius, December 19, 2013, 03:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Probius

I've never met a priest who was a fan of temperance, no one drinks like a Catholic priest.

Who wants this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_movement
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

james03

Temperance is RATIONAL self interest.  But start with Prudence, the classical definition.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Probius

If by temperance you mean moderation, then yes I agree.  So long as it is not imposed from the outside.  A man must decide for himself to pursue the good.
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

james03

How can you decide against God when you don't even know the basics?  It's becoming clear you don't give a crap.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Sbyvl36

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on December 22, 2013, 12:17:47 PM
I've never met a priest who was a fan of temperance, no one drinks like a Catholic priest.

Who wants this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_movement

So now you're indulging yourself in stereotypes? 
My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

JoyfulMother

I know this probably isn't what you are looking for, but within the last couple of years I was reading a book called the Sinner's Guide by Venerable Louis of Granada and found a chapter that talks about how "Men are so powerfully moved by self-interest, and present objects make such an impression upon them, that think very little of future rewards and seek only their immediate satisfaction......"

He then goes on to list the ways that practicing virtue is in our own self-interest and spends the entire next section of his book listing the benefits of practicing virtue.

Your topic may motivate me to finally read this spiritual classic which I am lining you to here:  http://www.catholictreasury.info/books/sinners_guide/sg11.php

Probius

Yes, practicing virtue is a matter of self interest.  But, one must be able to pursue one's own values instead of the values imposed on him by government, religion, or society.  Self-interest is not about the here and now, one pursues values that benefit one's self now and for the long run as well.  That is why I don't use hard drugs, because I don't want to experience all of the problems that come along with drug addiction and the health side effects.

LouisIX

What distinguishes what's "right" and what makes you happy?
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Probius

LouisIX

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on December 22, 2013, 08:27:30 PM

Quote from: LouisIX on December 22, 2013, 08:26:50 PM
What distinguishes what's "right" and what makes you happy?

Nothing.

See, this helps illustrate the difference between what we both mean by "right" or "good".  The deprivation of that goodness is unjust, it is disgusting, monumentally sinful.  It's unnatural, a transgression that demands repayment. 
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Probius

LouisIX

Probius

Quote from: LouisIX on December 22, 2013, 08:45:31 PM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on December 22, 2013, 08:38:26 PM
The deprivation of what goodness?

Goodness itself.

Okay.  It seems to me that good and bad only have meaning in a human perspective.  Without humans these terms are meaningless.  Do you agree or disagree?

LouisIX

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on December 22, 2013, 08:54:42 PM

Quote from: LouisIX on December 22, 2013, 08:45:31 PM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on December 22, 2013, 08:38:26 PM
The deprivation of what goodness?

Goodness itself.

Okay.  It seems to me that good and bad only have meaning in a human perspective.  Without humans these terms are meaningless.  Do you agree or disagree?

Disagree.  These meanings transcend human definitions.  That's why they're meaningful.

Probius