What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

More of Ralph Moody's Little Britches series. I'm amazed at his maturity at the age of 12-13. Seriously, I've seen less in grown men. Definitely a good example for young boys! 
My Lord and my God.

Machaut1377

The Life of the Virgin, attributed to Maximus the Confessor, early 7th c., trans. Stephen Shoemaker (whose course on late Eastern Christianity course I took once).

Earliest complete biography of the Virgin Mary and the first translation into English from Old Georgian (autograph ms. being in Greek, now lost).

Lynne

Quote from: Machaut1377 on May 16, 2016, 07:04:40 PM
The Life of the Virgin, attributed to Maximus the Confessor, early 7th c., trans. Stephen Shoemaker (whose course on late Eastern Christianity course I took once).

Earliest complete biography of the Virgin Mary and the first translation into English from Old Georgian (autograph ms. being in Greek, now lost).

Where did you get this? ETA: Never mind, I found it (on Amazon)!  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Machaut1377

Quote from: Lynne on May 17, 2016, 03:42:30 AM
Quote from: Machaut1377 on May 16, 2016, 07:04:40 PM

Where did you get this? ETA: Never mind, I found it (on Amazon)!  ::)

haha, that's where I got my copy too.

Bernadette

I just finished Call the Midwife. Gah.  :o  I wasn't expecting graphic descriptions of prostitution and illegal abortions. I feel like I need brain bleach.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Empire: The Life Legend and Madness of Howard Hughes by Donald Barlett. Very good.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MilesChristi

Just read Screwtape for the first time. Trying to figure out what to read next.
Just picked up A Handful of Dust.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Christina_S

Screwtape is amazing. I should re-read it.

Currently reading Thrifty:  Living the Frugal Life with Style by Marjorie Harris.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Clare

My Life With Thomas Aquinas, by Carol Robinson. I read it about five years ago too. Still good.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Machaut1377

Bede's "A History of the English Church and People," (trans. Sherley-Price)

Also, making my way through "Zur Diskussion: A Modern Approach to German Conversation," by Dieter and Ingrid Sevin.

Ever so often I read a story from Grimm's Fairy tales (in German, it's good and fun practice) and from the "Original Bayerische Volksmarchen: Ausgewahlte Schonwert-Geschichten"

maryslittlegarden

How to be Tudor by Ruth Goodman
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on May 28, 2016, 11:03:35 AM

Do you like it? I loved How to be a Victorian. :)
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on May 28, 2016, 12:12:22 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on May 28, 2016, 11:03:35 AM

Do you like it? I loved How to be a Victorian. :)

So far, yes.  I"m not very far into it.  If  you liked the other one, I think you'd like this one.  I'm a sucker for the Tudor period, though 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

red solo cup

John Le Carre The Biography by Adam Sisman. Very good.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MilesChristi

St Thomas Aquinas (Chesterton)

Commentarii Bello Gallico
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.