What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Wellington: The Years of the Sword by Elizabeth Longford. Very good.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Lulu's Christmas Story. Again. :) So heartwarming. Catholic family in the Great Depression. What's not to love? One of the few books I've seen that has 100% five-star reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Lulus-Christmas-Story-During-Depression-ebook/dp/B00O5RR7NW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451157892&sr=1-1&keywords=lulu%27s+christmas+story
My Lord and my God.

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Jacob

I am stalled in Doctor Zhivago.

One of my Christmas presents is Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.  I am working on that.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

Father Joe: The Man Who Saved My Soul by Tony Hendra. Hendra wrote for National Lampoon and Spitting Image. He also played Ian Faith in Spinal Tap. The book tells his story from being an ardent Catholic to loosing his faith and regaining it with the help of his spiritual advisor, Father Joe. Funny and inspiring. A wonderful read.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MundaCorMeum

The First Christmas Tree and The Other Wise Man.  Two short stories by Henry van Dyke. Enjoyable read.

MilesChristi

Starting Tomorrow: The Lady in the Lake

Christina_S

Just finished Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton and Without You, There is No Us by Suki Kim.

I found Chesterton harder than I thought it would be. Maybe it's because I'm used to philosophical books where every idea is in a compact box, and Chesterton's style seemed rambling and random at first. In any case, I got into it in the last two chapters and understood the spirit of things by the end.

Without You, There is No Us was written by an English teacher who taught in a North Korean university a few years ago. Regardless of how many books I read about the country, it never ceases to baffle me at how little the people know of the outside world and how utterly brainwashed they have been.

Moving on to East of Eden, as per MilesChristi's suggestion, and 1984.

Happy New Year!
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

misericonfit

Harry Potter Book 7
Harry Potter a l'Ecole des Sorciers
Harry Potter e la Camera dei Segreti
The  Worm Ouroboros
Remaining in the Truth of Christ
Chinese Philosophy by Wen Haiming
My Door is Always Open (Pope Francis & Antonio Spadaro S.J.)

If anyone knows of a really thorough modern Catholic commentary on the Apocalypse, I'm all ears. 
Receive, O Lord, all my liberty. Take my memory, my understanding, and my entire will. Whatsoever I have or possess Thou hast bestowed upon me; to Thee I give it all back and surrender it wholly to be governed by Thy Will. Give me love for Thee alone, with Thy grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.

- St Ignatius Loyola.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: misericonfit on January 05, 2016, 06:53:00 PM
Harry Potter Book 7
Harry Potter a l'Ecole des Sorciers
Harry Potter e la Camera dei Segreti
The  Worm Ouroboros
Remaining in the Truth of Christ
Chinese Philosophy by Wen Haiming
My Door is Always Open (Pope Francis & Antonio Spadaro S.J.)

If anyone knows of a really thorough modern Catholic commentary on the Apocalypse, I'm all ears.

Book of Revelation or the end of the world?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Hiero of Syracuse

I'm trying to get through Moby Dick, though every time I pick the book up, something gets in the way of me finishing it. But from what I've read so far, it's pretty good. My only complaint is that it's rather slow. I was hoping that I'd get to the part where a crazy captain goes berserk on a giant sperm whale, but apparently it takes over a dozen chapters before Ishamel even sets foot on a boat!

Bernadette

Quote from: Hiero of Syracuse on January 05, 2016, 09:54:38 PM
I'm trying to get through Moby Dick, though every time I pick the book up, something gets in the way of me finishing it. But from what I've read so far, it's pretty good. My only complaint is that it's rather slow. I was hoping that I'd get to the part where a crazy captain goes berserk on a giant sperm whale, but apparently it takes over a dozen chapters before Ishamel even sets foot on a boat!

I actually studied this book twice in college. Guess that's what I get for transferring. Good news is that I didn't have to actually read it the second time around. ;)
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on January 06, 2016, 09:08:21 AM
Quote from: Hiero of Syracuse on January 05, 2016, 09:54:38 PM

I actually studied this book twice in college. Guess that's what I get for transferring. Good news is that I didn't have to actually read it the second time around. ;)

I like Melville's short stories (Bartleby the Scrivner is awesome). Moby Dick was ok, but yeah, it's slow.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

MilesChristi

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.