Christina_S

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
How to Raise Good Catholic Children by Mary Reed Newland
A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot
What the Best College Students Do by Ken Bain
The Gospel according to St. John

;D
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Bernadette

Which translation of Don Quixote are you reading? I like the Edith Grossman one. :)
My Lord and my God.

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

MundaCorMeum

Library day again....Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Childs;  Anthology of Children's Literature by Johnson, Sickels, & Sayers (4th edition).   

red solo cup

St Joan of Arc by Mark Twain. He seems to have genuinely admired her. His non-fiction is usually pretty cynical but not this.
Christ Denied by Rev. Paul Wickens. Scathing indictment of modernism and of de Chardin in particular.
Both of these were very good but much to short.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

I'm listening to Ben Hur again. So good. :)
My Lord and my God.

Clare

Quote from: red solo cup on September 10, 2015, 05:31:12 AM
St Joan of Arc by Mark Twain. He seems to have genuinely admired her. His non-fiction is usually pretty cynical but not this.
I'm still reading that (I go through books quite slowly sometimes). It's very good.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Prayerful

Fr Malachi Martin's The Jesuits and reading of startlingly heretic they became. I knew of the Communist guerrilla Jesuits,  business suit wearing Karl Raehner SJ, but the heresy and People's Church anti-Catholicism was from top to bottom in the once great order. Also glancing at Tom Holland's Dynasty on the Julio-Claudian dynasty. He tells a familiar tale very well, and he wrote a book on Islam (Islam: the Untold Story) with a Saudi funded hackademic/propagandist glaring at him with a look of barely suppressed hatred. He contended that Mohammed's real origins were around Palestine where some descriptions in the Quran of olive groves are a far better march to that region and the Arab kingdoms which bordered.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Christina_S

Quote from: Bernadette on September 04, 2015, 05:42:54 PM
Which translation of Don Quixote are you reading? I like the Edith Grossman one. :)
Mine was translated by P.A. Motteux, with introduction and notes by Stephen Boyd.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Kaesekopf

"The Council in Question" by Fr Aidan Nichols, OP and Moyra something.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Clare

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 12, 2015, 08:40:42 PM
Doorly?
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Clare on September 14, 2015, 04:53:27 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 12, 2015, 08:40:42 PM
Doorly?

I think so yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

How to Be a Victorian, by Ruth Goodman. Fascinating social history, plus personal experience from someone who has actually lived like a Victorian in our own day and age. One of the best Kindle books that I've ever bought on sale! :lol:
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on September 23, 2015, 10:43:00 AM
How to Be a Victorian, by Ruth Goodman. Fascinating social history, plus personal experience from someone who has actually lived like a Victorian in our own day and age. One of the best Kindle books that I've ever bought on sale! :lol:

If you like that, you might like this website/couple

http://www.thisvictorianlife.com/

They live "victorian" as much as they can.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace