What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on July 02, 2015, 04:07:08 PM
Quote from: red solo cup on July 01, 2015, 09:17:19 AM
Raised Catholic by Ed Stivender

What's it about and how is it?

I have this. It's a memoir, and it's pretty good. :) I should add it to my "Moving Sale."  ;)
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Bernadette on July 02, 2015, 04:11:01 PM

I have this. It's a memoir, and it's pretty good. :) I should add it to my "Moving Sale."  ;)

Do you ship to Poland?  ;D
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bernadette

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on July 02, 2015, 04:12:36 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on July 02, 2015, 04:11:01 PM

Do you ship to Poland?  ;D

No wonder you were so happy about those kindle publishers!
My Lord and my God.

Hiero of Syracuse

I am currently reading Fatima in Twilight by Mark Fellows. It's a pretty good read, though I already knew most of the history covered by the book.

Arun

no, seriously. the kids got some Goosebumps books and i decided tgo take a trip down memory lane. lousy trip.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Hiero of Syracuse

I used to love that series. Maybe I should give it another read somewhere down the line. Any recommendations my good man?

Maximilian

Quote from: Clare on July 02, 2015, 02:19:07 PM

Just about to read C S Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy again, which I first read last year.

Did you ever give us your thoughts on "That Hideous Strength"?

Arun

Quote from: Hiero of Syracuse on July 02, 2015, 06:29:21 PM
I used to love that series. Maybe I should give it another read somewhere down the line. Any recommendations my good man?

hahaha they're all pretty terrible. so far i've gone back over Don't Go To Sleep and Carnival of Horrors. i see they have The Haunted Mask - i used to like that one when i was a lad. perhaps it's aged well...? lmao.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

MilesChristi

Trying to get through Caesar's Gallic Wars.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Hiero of Syracuse

My friend loves it, so that is definitely on my to-read list. Be sure to tell us what you think.

Clare

Quote from: Maximilian on July 02, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
Quote from: Clare on July 02, 2015, 02:19:07 PM

Just about to read C S Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy again, which I first read last year.

Did you ever give us your thoughts on "That Hideous Strength"?
I'm not very good at analysing and reviewing, so this was all I said then! I'll see what I can do this time though.

I've finished Kristin Lavransdatter now by the way. That was very good, what I could follow.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Kaesekopf

Finished why Catholics can't sung by Thomas day. 

Great book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Hiero of Syracuse

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 03, 2015, 09:49:03 AM

Great book.

I've heard great things about that. I even read a little bit of it online. What do you think of his thesis? I think it has some merit myself, though I haven't read the book in it's entirety so I can't judge all his opinions on the subject of why singing has never really taken off in the United States.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Hiero of Syracuse on July 03, 2015, 09:56:11 AM

Great book.

I've heard great things about that. I even read a little bit of it online. What do you think of his thesis? I think it has some merit myself, though I haven't read the book in it's entirety so I can't judge all his opinions on the subject of why singing has never really taken off in the United States.

I generally like it and agree.

It's varied, I think.  American Catholicism suffered by having the heavy irish influence, and that mixed with the Council, helped squash good Catholic singing. 

People also didn't see something as important or necessary for them.  And the postconciliar church has been trying to beat the laity to sing.

Couple that with craptastic hymns that cant be sung by a congregation, along with the OVERBEARING MICROPHONE SHOUTING AT YOU FOR AN HOUR, and it's not a wonder why most catholics dont sing.

Also, JFKs funeral being a paltry Low Mass, the should have been high point of American Catholicism, was no help at all.

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

red solo cup

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 03, 2015, 10:24:32 AM
Quote from: Hiero of Syracuse on July 03, 2015, 09:56:11 AM

Great book.

I generally like it and agree.

It's varied, I think.  American Catholicism suffered by having the heavy irish influence, and that mixed with the Council, helped squash good Catholic singing. 

People also didn't see something as important or necessary for them.  And the postconciliar church has been trying to beat the laity to sing.

Couple that with craptastic hymns that cant be sung by a congregation, along with the OVERBEARING MICROPHONE SHOUTING AT YOU FOR AN HOUR, and it's not a wonder why most catholics dont sing.

Also, JFKs funeral being a paltry Low Mass, the should have been high point of American Catholicism, was no help at all.

You aren't implying the Irish can't sing, are you? Do you really want to go there?
non impediti ratione cogitationis