What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I finished The Thirteen Gun Salute the day before yesterday.  Now I'm waiting for The Nutmeg of Consolation and Clarissa Oakes/The Truelove to be checked back into my library so I can get them.  It's been a great ride with Jack and Stephen so far.  Seven more books and the final published fragment to go!
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Basilios on August 04, 2014, 11:30:15 PM
The Count of Monte Cristo.

I like revenge stories.

Just about my favorite book of all time. Really brilliant.

Quote from: Daniel on July 31, 2014, 06:08:46 PM
I've gotta read some Tolkien.  I haven't read any of it yet.

:eek:
Never, ever, ever?
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on August 13, 2014, 11:39:53 AM

I like revenge stories.

Have you read any of the "sequels?" I haven't been able to stomach the idea, even though I've been able to accept the fact that Dumas is thought to have made use of a ghostwriter.  :-\
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

The Trip to Echo Springs: On Writers and Drinking by Olivia Laing.
The English author covers six prominent American writers; John Cheever, Raymond Carver, Ernest Hemingway, Tennessee Williams,
John Berryman and F. Scott Fitzgerald. She traveled America visiting the boyhood homes of these authors or places where they did he
bulk of their writing. She shows how all six endured difficult childhoods and used those experiences in their writing. How drink affected
their relationships and contributed to their deaths. The exception being John Cheever who was able to successfully quit drinking.
The title is from the play Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. The character Buck used it to mean a trip to the liquor cabinet. Echo Springs is a Kentucky
bourbon still available today though some consider it rather bottom shelf.
A fascinating read.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Sbyvl36

My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on August 13, 2014, 11:43:49 AM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on August 13, 2014, 11:39:53 AM

I like revenge stories.

Have you read any of the "sequels?" I haven't been able to stomach the idea, even though I've been able to accept the fact that Dumas is thought to have made use of a ghostwriter.  :-\

No.... Monte Cristo is about the only one I really like of what Dumas "wrote."  The Three Musketeers is OK (haven't read it since I became Catholic though so that might change my thoughts on it.)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Basilios

I finished Count of Monte Cristo now looking for my next fictional book. I am also looking for my next non-fictional book (preferably history).

I was thinking the Dark Tower series for fiction. Non-fiction does anyone have any good Catholic history books to recommend?
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

zork

The Sapphire Rose by David Eddings (1991)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Heinrich

Philip II by William Thomas Walsh
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

Quote from: Basilios on August 17, 2014, 03:54:21 AM
I finished Count of Monte Cristo now looking for my next fictional book. I am also looking for my next non-fictional book (preferably history).

I was thinking the Dark Tower series for fiction. Non-fiction does anyone have any good Catholic history books to recommend?

Not a Catholic history book, but a darn fine read and great writing: http://books.google.com/books?id=G70OAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_Bird
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Stu Cool

Life of Christ by Bishop Sheen on the basis of recommendations in this forum.  It is very good.

piabee

Maximilian

The Awakening of Miss Prim: A Novel
by Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera

http://www.amazon.com/The-Awakening-Miss-Prim-Novel/dp/1476734240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408739679&sr=8-1&keywords=awakening+of+miss+prim

Very good book. Definitely written by a traditional Catholic. It might be a good model for other aspiring writers who would like to work traditional Catholic themes into their writing without being too heavy-handed and didactic.

You might also consider it as an option to offer to secular relations/acquaintances to give them a feel for traditional Catholic values without hitting them over the head with something like sedevacantism on the first go-around.